title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using Sony VGP-XL1B with Windows 7

Using Sony VGP-XL1B with Windows 7

I have recently aquired a NOS Sony VGP-XL1B that I would like to use to rip my CD collection to my PC using the 64 bit version of Windows 7. I am able to load CDs into the changer just fine. The problem is that I am not able to get the changer to start reading the CDs. The dBpoweramp software recognizes the drive that the machine is connected to: J: [MASHITA-DVD-RAM SW-9584], but not the discs. I get the message to <Insert Audio CD>, even though there are discs in the machine. Am I missing something in the setup that's required to get dBpoweramp to control the changer?

I've read where some people say that they had to get dBpoweramp to scan their CDs first before they can rip them. I don't see this option. Is that the same as the Rip option?

Thanks, Bill.

Administrator

Re: Using Sony VGP-XL1B with Windows 7

As referenced by Spoon, I previously posted somebody else's observation on how to roll back to the
    legacy firewire driver which may have better results.

I'm still using XP, but a few other things to note:

I had AnyDVD installed which I had to disable (and reboot after) to get the Sony to work properly.
    Also I disabled Windows XP "Removable Storage Services", but I'm not sure if that made a difference....
    Definitely ignore the stuff that comes with the VAIO that says that you need Windows XP Media Center
    Edition -- definitely not necessary if you have dbPoweramp.

Definitely no disc pre-scan necessary. Just push rip and it goes. Stopping is the problem. Make sure
    you set it to stop after some number of discs or it will cycle over your set ad infinitum.

Feature request: A "stop on repeated accurate rip id" so that we halt when we get to the first disc again.

I have a Firewire card on order for my Win 7 machine, so hopefully I'll get to try it out myself soon.

Worst case you may need to get a Windows XP machine from somebody (Freecycle?)

Kudos to dbPoweramp author(s?). Well worth the purchase price! Also thanks for the free trial, made
    me a lot more confident knowing what I was getting.
    Last edited by fwiw; 01-30-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks for the info guys. It seems from reading other old internet discussions, that some people were able to get it to work with Win 7. They just weren't very specific in how they did it. I'll keep trying.

dBpoweramp Guru

I used XL1B to rip thousands of CDs using an AutoIT3 script, a debugged mod of Alex Wetmore's mediachanger.exe utility available from http://www.mediadogg.com and dBpoweramp 13. Am still keeping a Windows XP.

Quote Originally Posted by fwiw View Post
    Also I disabled Windows XP "Removable Storage Services", but I'm not sure if that made a difference....
    It does!

Quote Originally Posted by fwiw View Post
    Definitely ignore the stuff that comes with the VAIO that says that you need Windows XP Media Center
    Edition -- definitely not necessary if you have dbPoweramp.
    There were more driver quirks when it was new, I think. I do have the MCE, but I got it quite early to work on the ordinary XP.
    Last edited by Porcus; 02-03-2015 at 10:34 AM.

I was able to get my VGP-XL1b to work with dbPoweramp Batch Ripper. Just loaded the legacy IEEE 1394 drivers, and it worked like a champ.

I'm now re-ripping my CD collection to FLAC (ripped to mp3 about 7 years ago). 10 CDs down, 2200+ to go

Administrator

Which Windows version do you have?

Windows 8.1

I ran into an issue, and I don't know if it's hardware or software yet.

I downloaded the Ripper software after purchase. However, after that, the Batch Ripper gets "stuck" on the 2nd cd it encounters. It aways says it's Sara McLaughlin - Mirrorball, and thinks there are 52 tracks on it. It then tries to rip but never completes, even after 8 hours.

I've done a "Mass Eject" of all discs and reloaded, and the same thing happened.

My next steps - eject all the discs, load only 1 and do a "Populate". If it shows 2 CDs, it probably a stuck CD.

Problem solved. I had to do an extra "mass eject"