title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Says my user account doesn't have deletion privileges

Says my user account doesn't have deletion privileges

I have a listing of all my duplicates but it says I may have to manually delete since my user account doesn't have deletion privileges. what does this mean? It would be extremely cumbersome to go to each file to delete.

Administrator

Re: Says my user account doesn't have deletion privileges

It means that PerfectTUNES wants to delete the file, but settings on your system stop it. These settings are likely access permissions, especially if the files are on a NAS.

I'm not sure what NAS is an abbreviation for. I have a new flash hard drive but all my music is stored on my old hard drive. I did include it in the de-dup process and I have hundreds of dups. If it is just changing a setting I have a computer guy who could walk me through it.

Administrator

The old HDD will not have write access for the new computer, try copying the files to your new HDD, then run PerfectTUNEs on the new HDD.

I can't copy the music files because they are too large which is why I still have them on my old HD but it is an internal drive and I can save to it or delete from it just like my main HD.

Administrator

Ask your computer guy to set the permissions on the old HDD and check the files are not read only.

It turns out that once I acknowledge the message that it can't be deleted it then shows that it is deleted. So everything appears to be working fine except each time I have to click on that message before it says it is deleted so it is one more step and I have a lot of dups.

Even though the program says deleted on the dup listing when I open up the program again it is still there so I can deleted the file but only by clicking on the file, going to the location and deleting it.

Administrator

Try right click on PerfectTUNES >> Run as Administrator

Thank you so much. That was the issue. I would never have figured that out on my own. I hadn't been able to find anything like a comprehensive user's manual.

I am getting the same error message about not having deletion privileges. Running as administrator didn't work for me. I checked permissions on my music folders for both myself and administrator as users and both have full permissions checked, including deletion. I can't reach my IT guy as he is out of town. Spoon, do you have any further advice?

Administrator

The files are on a nas? or local?

On this test run, they are local. I don't want to try the much larger NAS files until I can get it to work on a smaller quantity.

Administrator

There is nothing any program can do to get more access privileges, the deletion is a simple one function call with no other access rights, either the program is allowed to delete the files or it is not, if not it is Windows Access control which decides.

I will relay what you said to my IT guy. In case it is relevant, I can delete songs or albums when I go directly to the music folder, either on the laptop or the NAS. So the questions is why Windows allows it there, but not through PerfecTUNES De-Dup.