title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Just a question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foppie
    • Jan 2015

Just a question

Hello all of you

Is the fact of ripping with AccurateRip an indication of the quality of the recording? I have that feeling.

Foppie
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Just a question

It indicates the quality of your Rip, quality degradation can come from scratches or manufacturing defects on the disc.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• foppie
      • Jan 2015

Hello Spoon

Okay, I understand

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

If a terrible recording (in terms of matering quality, etc.) makes its way onto a released CD, and dbpa rips the CD bitperfectly as compared with other people that ripped the same CD (i.e., ACCURATERIP matches), then you have a perfect rip (even though the underlying recording quality may be terrible). ACCURATERIP is all about whether the bits ripped from the CD are perfect (and match others rips). It has *nothing* to do with the quality of the audio recording itself. As spoon notes it is related to either the quality of the physical disk (e.g., scratches or manufacturing defect) or the drive doing the ripping.
        Last edited by garym; 01-26-2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• Seppe
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by garym
          or the drive doing the ripping.
          Hi garym

Not sure if you're still subscribed to this thread but I'll repost if no response...

I was just wondering about your quote above. Apart from actually listening, how can one know if a drive is actually rendering top, or the best quality sounding rips - even when accuraterip says the rip is bit perfect? I was under the impression that when accuraterip renders a match, everybody that ripped that specific batch or production run of cd will hear/have the exact same sound quality regardless of the hardware involved upon ripping i.e. state of the cd, drive used, pc etc.

Thanks

Comment

• Dat Ei
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2014

Hey Seppe,

Originally posted by Seppe
            Apart from actually listening, how can one know if a drive is actually rendering top, or the best quality sounding rips - even when accuraterip says the rip is bit perfect?
            ripping is a method to readout the data from a CD on a digital basis. If your drive does not signal an error state during the readout and dbpa calculates the same checksum for your ripped data as it did for other peoples rip before, then you can be sure, that your readout was accurate. In this case you can be at least as sure as if you have read data from your HDD.

Once you have the original and accurate source data, the sound quality depends on your Hifi equipment only.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Seppe
              • Feb 2015

Hi Dat Ei

Ok, so just to confirm; if accuraterip gives a match, the only influence(s) on sound/audio quality can be...

1. The equipment you're playing the rip through - as you mentioned.

2. The manufacturing process/system of the batch run of that cd i.e. everybody is picking up the same sound quality defect from manufacture.

Thanking in advance

Comment

• Dat Ei
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2014

Hey Seppe,

Ok, so just to confirm; if accuraterip gives a match, the only influence(s) on sound/audio quality can be...

1. The equipment you're playing the rip through - as you mentioned.
                yes.

2. The manufacturing process/system of the batch run of that cd i.e. everybody is picking up the same sound quality defect from manufacture.
                All defects based on the CD pressing process will result in different checksums. CDs, which have the same checksum and are recognized as accurately ripped, have the same defects and same quality.

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Yes, if ACCURATERIP confirmed, your digital file is the exact same data as contained on the original CD. As others have noted, at that point, the sound quality is a function your playback system (mostly speakers and room dynamics, as most modern DACs and amplifiers are transparent unless designed badly!).

By the way, even if you do NOT get an ACCURATERIP match (maybe disk is not in database) and get SECURE, it is highly, highly likely that you have a bit perfect rip. And even if there are some reported issues with rip (even ERROR), often this error is such a micro second glitch, that the human ear can't hear it in the playback. So bottom line, rip to lossless the best you can and enjoy the music!

Comment

Working...

]]>