title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can part of a cd track be lossless ripped to WMA?

Can part of a cd track be lossless ripped to WMA?

Hi. I have a classical collection in wma lossless. A few cds (like variations and bagatelles) are not divided up as separate tracks, but just long single tracks with quiet parts separating the different variations.

Can CD ripper rip to lossless WMA and only rip part of a track that I select?

If no, is this partial ripping possible in other formats? Hoping I don't have to redo the whole collection. The lossless WMA files play on android and all the PCs I use. Thanks.

Nick

Administrator

Re: Can part of a cd track be lossless ripped to WMA?

You can, there is a rip as one button on the tool bar which allows the start and stop position to be set for ripping.

No kidding. That is great news. Just bought that malware infested Power Sound Editor only to find out it is limited to 128kb/s vs. 470-940 in the source files. This app sounds great! Thank you for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can, there is a rip as one button on the tool bar which allows the start and stop position to be set for ripping.
    Is it right that when ripping as 1, you cannot use the track list to select a single track? Seems like you have to ignore the track list and choose start and end positions as a segment of all tracks on the cd.

I tried deselecting one of the two tracks on the cd, but the start/end selector seems to start at track 1 regardless.

Well... it doesn't seem to work. Regardless of what I choose on the start/end selector, it rips from the beginning of the cd. Is there documentation for the rip as 1 feature. Don't see it on the help page.

Administrator

Thanks. There are 3 sentences that aren't really helping. I saw that earlier. Are there any criteria that have to be met for this to work. It doesn't seem like a functioning feature - other than for ripping the whole cd as one.

Administrator

You click on the red bar with the mouse (left and right button) to set start and stop times. Then click ok, then click rip to rip the single track using your start and stop times.

Yes I understand the procedure. I am able to enter times manually (as above) or do so with the mouse buttons. It just doesn't seem to work. No matter what times I set for it start, it just starts ripping the cd from the beginning of the first track.

The procedure seems simple enough with the bar (blue on mine). It just doesn't start ripping in the middle of a track. The track selector checkboxes also don't seem to affect which tracks are included in the ripas1 utility, though I suppose that may by design be a separate process.

Administrator

Which version of dBpoweramp do you have?

Thanks for taking time to help. I really appreciate it.

64 bits unregistered trial, Release 15.1

Administrator

When you click Rip as One, a page shows, the start and end times are set, then Ok is clicked, the main display will update to only show 1 track, with the length you have specified.

Does this happen?

Yes I can see this now. It seems to be working. I missed the "1" and "2" below the colored bar. There is also a little vertical notch showing the division between the two tracks. I was able to record the needed interval in the second track with a very high bitrate. Nice :-)

Is there a good way to locate a silent point in the music (within a track) besides playing with the slider on the bottom of the ripper? I used Power Sound Editor's wave plot to easily locate the silence at the end of the first passage. That gave me the end time for the rip. Don't mind keeping PSE for that purpose but would rather use your software exclusively.

Thank you again. How marvelous to be able to extract lossless segments!!!

May I squeeze in one last question? Now that I can make high quality compilations that play on PCs (thank you!!!), I am now wanting to also create cds as well. Forgive my ignorance, but I am wishing to create quality audio cd compilations that any cd player can play, including older car players. I assume this means the old players need to see .cda files. Is that right?

To create a compilation of passages from different cds that will play in older car players, do I rip to .cda? Is that possible in dbpoweramp cd ripper?

dBpoweramp Guru

You would install
    The cd writer program, it handles the creation of cda files. Be aware you have to uninstall dBpoweramp and force the 32 bit install, see:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Compatibility