title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping severely limited in speed

Unhappy Ripping severely limited in speed

Hi everyone,

I seem to have a problem with dBPowerAmp's CD Ripper. The ripping speed is way too slow, it seems to be capped at 8x-12x in general.

First some background

I used to have a TSSTCorp SH-224BB drive but I threw it out recently because it wouldn't read any CD properly anymore. Ripping went fine with it, generally at 20x or higher, only dropping after long ripping sessions (presumably to prevent overheating).

I bought the TSSTCorp SH-224DB instead (almost same drive with a firmware upgrade), and re-installed DBPowerAmp since I also had done a clean install of Windows 8 x64. Side note - I don't really choose a drive consciously, I buy most of my hardware at a local store that doesn't have much choice in the optical drive department. According to the DAE Features database it's a good one though.

Drive specs + software version

This is what DB Poweramp tells me about my drive:

Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
    CD Drive: CDDVDW SH-224DB
    Firmware: SB01
    Serial: 0514
    Maximum Speed: 7056 KB/sec (x40)
    Current Speed: 7056 KB/sec (x40)
    Spin-down After: 2 minutes
    Buffer Size: 768 KB
    Accurate Stream: Yes
    C2 Error Pointers: Yes
    Reads ISRC: Yes
    Reads UPC: Yes

And I have:
    dBpoweramp 64-bit Registered Reference
    Release 15.1

What I've tried

I've fiddled around with these options:
    • Ripping Speed (selecting anything but (Maximum))
    • Ripping in burst mode instead of ultra-secure
    • Changing spin-up time

None of which made a difference to speed. For the record, communication mode is SCSI Pass-Through (SPT).

Interestingly, the part under [technical], "Current Speed: 7056 KB/sec (x40)", was not at x40 before, it used to be much lower, and I could only choose x8 and x16 as ripping speed.
    It changed since ripping a couple of CDs.

However, now that the "current speed" matches the "max speed" it still doesn't make any difference.
    Stubbornly, it keeps ripping at x7-x11 speed and I've never seen it go past x12, even if I select x40 as the ripping speed myself.

My wild guess is maybe because it's a brand new drive it needs to "burn in" or something, but I would be surprised if that is even a possibility.

Any help is much appreciated!

Re: Ripping severely limited in speed

I don't know if I should feel embarrassed, but now ripping is happening at full speed. I didn't change anything.
    Still would be worth it to me if someone could explain why suddenly it's going good...

dBpoweramp Guru

The ripping speed depends on the quality of the CD and its pressing. AFAIK the drive controls the speed itself.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    The ripping speed depends on the quality of the CD and its pressing. AFAIK the drive controls the speed itself.
    Well, I was ripping new (just unpacked) CDs so as far as quality goes I wouldn't know what could be better. I wasn't aware there was a pressing quality, or at least not that it could have such a difference on ripping speed.

When you say the drive controls the speed itself, would you know if there was a way to influence this?

Administrator

There is no way to influence the drive self set maximum ripping speed.

A fresh CD can still have issues from manufacturing defects.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    There is no way to influence the drive self set maximum ripping speed.

A fresh CD can still have issues from manufacturing defects.
    Clear enough, I hope I get many well-manufactured CDs then

Thanks for the information.