title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: 64 bit

Question 64 bit

Hi -

I bought DBPowerAmp quite some time ago (release 11 I think). Is the version I bought available in 64 bit?
    If not, when did 64 bit DBPowerAmp become available (which release)? If I upgrade to the latest version do I get both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions and choose which one I install, or do I have to choose?

Sorry if the questions are dumb. My searches on this forum didn't yield any useful results.

Thanks -
    Fahim

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: 64 bit

Hey Fahim,

the native 64bit Version of dbpa has been introduced with version 15: clickclack!
    You can choose during the installation if you like to install the 32bit (hold right shift key pressed while starting the install program) or 64bit version of dbpa.

Dat Ei

That's great. Thanks Dat Ei.
    Do I get any distinct performance improvements with the 64 bit version?

Follow on question -
    I understand that the Nero AAC encoder doesn't work with the 64 bit version and there is a new(er) AAC encoder now. Is this functionally identical to the Nero encoder? Is there a general consensus that it sounds 'better', 'worse', or 'the same'? If the sound is 'different', would it be worthwhile batch converting my music collection (6.5K tracks ripped as FLAC) back to AAC?

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Fahim,

Quote Originally Posted by .fahim View Post
    Do I get any distinct performance improvements with the 64 bit version?
    I can compare V14 to V15 only, but I would say, that there are no improvements. But there are some features in V15 I like.

Quote Originally Posted by .fahim View Post
    Follow on question -
    I understand that the Nero AAC encoder doesn't work with the 64 bit version and there is a new(er) AAC encoder now. Is this functionally identical to the Nero encoder? Is there a general consensus that it sounds 'better', 'worse', or 'the same'? If the sound is 'different', would it be worthwhile batch converting my music collection (6.5K tracks ripped as FLAC) back to AAC?
    I can't answer this question cause I only use FLAC and mp3. Sorry!

Dat Ei

Administrator

Functionality is similar, the consensus (of personal listening tests) is that it is slightly better than Nero.

There would perhaps be little to gain doing a conversion.

Much appreciated. You have both answered all of my questions.

I am now upgraded to R15. Now to finish setting up the new machine and getting back to ripping!