title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

volumequestion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foppie
    • Jan 2015

volumequestion

Hello everybody

I have going-on-questions/problems with the volume. I have tried to change the volume of certain cd's while ripping, hoping it will be editted by the converter. But after some research I found out that the destination must support RP Replay Gain. I will show now what I do:

1 Rip the cd and change the volume with RP ReplayGain
    2 Edit the result to the Window-C disk / Music
    3 From there to the iTunes Library, where the changed volume gives no result. The format here is m4a(ALAC) of course
    4 And also copy it from there to a SDCard and from there to my FiiO X5 digital high-end player. The format is m4a also, but my FiiO X5 can handle FLAC (or other formats) also.

My question here is: does m4a support that RP Replay Gain or not? Or is this a stupid question? and must I ask: does iTunes support RP Replay Gain? Or doesn't Windows support the RP Replay Gain (with its C-disk) at all? If not, does FLAC support that RP Replay Gain? If so, than it must be possible to (re)convert the m4a(ALAC) files to FLAC, isn't it?

Someone familiar with these issues?

Foppie
    Last edited by foppie; 01-08-2015, 08:30 PM. Reason: improved
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: volumequestion

iTunes does not support ReplayGain, instead it supports iTunes Normalization, which you can select on the ReplayGain drop list (there is no harm in writing the Replaygain tags as well).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• foppie
      • Jan 2015

Hi Spoon

Oh fine. But what means normalizing actually? All the tracks changed on the same level? Or is this also flexible; in other words: can I change every album apart?

Foppie

Comment

• foppie
        • Jan 2015

Hi Spoon

Just look at Normalization. But I do not understand it quite well. According to me people can only change to lower level. And I'd like to change higher and lower, regarding the volumelevel of the cd to be ripped. Is that possible? And which other choices should I make to achieve that in that tab, Peak to peak?
        In short, what should I do within this tab to achieve a +- average volume level for all files. Low level a bit higher, high lever a bit lower, no need to realise a same level for all files.

Foppie
        Last edited by foppie; 01-08-2015, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by foppie
          Hi Spoon

Just look at Normalization. But I do not understand it quite well. According to me people can only change to lower level. And I'd like to change higher and lower, regarding the volumelevel of the cd to be ripped. Is that possible? And which other choices should I make to achieve that in that tab, Peak to peak?
          In short, what should I do within this tab to achieve a +- average volume level for all files. Low level a bit higher, high lever a bit lower, no need to realise a same level for all files.

Foppie
          by default it does what you want. Either replay gain or iTunes normilzation will add tags that allow players to either increase or decrease the volume so that the average volume is similar. It is true that most modern CDs produce negative adjustments (to lower volume) but the software often produces positive adjustments (higher volume). My own library confirms this. Try ripping some CDs released before 1990 or some downloaded live concerts from archive.org and you'll likely see this too.

Comment

Working...

]]>