title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems converting .shn files

Problems converting .shn files

Hi all.

I have a live recording that I want to convert that is in .shn format. I went to codec central and downloaded the shorten codec there. At first it gave an error message saying it could not install. I figured out this was happening because it was trying to install to c:\programfilesx86\illustrate\dBpoweramp instead of C:\programfiles\dBpoweramp. After changing the install directory it seemed to install ok and gave no error message. However, when I search for the shn files to convert them to flac, it wont find them. When I go to the codec tab in the dBpower amp config screen it does not show the shn codec there.

I installed the ogg vorbis and wma converter no problem and they show up in the codec tab. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. Can anyone help me figure this out please?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Problems converting .shn files

Hey philb74,

my guess is, that you hve installed the 64bit version of dbpa. The shn codec is a codec, that only works with the 32bit version of dbpa. You can uninstall dbpa 64bit and reinstall the 32bit version (keepright shift key pressed during installation). After that you you be able to install the codec in the right directory and use it.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey philb74,

my guess is, that you hve installed the 64bit version of dbpa. The shn codec is a codec, that only works with the 32bit version of dbpa. You can uninstall dbpa 64bit and reinstall the 32bit version (keepright shift key pressed during installation). After that you you be able to install the codec in the right directory and use it.

Dat Ei
    Thanks for the help Dat Ei. Much appreciated.

I just downloaded dBpoweramp R16.6. I followed the instructions I found on the forum to install the 32 bit version. I then installed the shn codec with no errors (dBpoweramp was not running). The shn.dll was copied to C:\Program Files (x86)\dBpoweramp\decoder directory. Comparing the version in the "shn" directory and the "decoder" directory indicates that the file was transformed during the copy operation because the "installed" version is 120K vs. 88K for the delivered version. I've restarted both the program and my Win10 PC. shn still doesn't show up in the list of codecs when I list them.

Am I doing something wrong or does the latest version of dBpoweramp not support the 32 bit shorten codec?

Administrator

It should be 120KB, what is transforming it?

I assume the installation process is transforming it. However if the expected size of the shn.dll that ends up in the decoder directory is expected to be 120KB, then the installer is working as expected. Regardless shn doesn't show up in the list of codecs as a supported decoder and .shn files aren't recognized as audio files when attempting to select a file for conversion.

Am I doing something wrong or does the latest version of dBpoweramp (R16.6) not support the 32 bit shorten codec?

I have a Windows Vista computer and have been using Switch to convert .flac files to .wav with no problem.

I recently needed to convert .shn files and found out that the free version didn't do this but that the Switch Plus program did.

So I broke down and paid for the full version and looked forward to converting the files. I went through all the rigamarole to

update to the new version, dropped the .shn files into the program and got the message: The File Could Not Be Opened.

Thinking that the files I downloaded from an older web site might have had problems, I went somewhere else and downloaded

a more recent .shn file. Tried that and got the same message.

Administrator

@Larry, we cannot support Switch it is not our product, you need ask on their forum.

@mdftunes - I have run some tests, I took a fresh Windows, installed the 32 bit R16.6 dBpoweramp (the control center does not mention the wording '64 bit') after version. Then install the shorten codec, it appears in the list of decoders (Control Center >> Audio Codecs: List / Options) under the installed Decoders.

What security software do you have? which might be blocking the DLL from loading.

Removed everything and tried again. Finally worked. Keep that RIGHT shift key down .. apparently that's the key to making this silly process work. TLH is faster by far, but multi-core processing helps to increase performance.

Thanks for your assistance ..