title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DVD / VOB decoding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

DVD / VOB decoding

it'd be perfect to have VOB decoding, can't be hard to make plugin.
    have morcheeba in brixton DVD i like the live concert music is better then the cd.
    but how to play it in my car stereo? make some mp3 with dmcconverter
    would be perfect, love the program!

michielwurfbain@hm
  • JahSun
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2003

Re: DVD / VOB decoding

I believe you can extract an audio file from the DVD with Smartripper or any of a number of DVD rippers. The resulting Audio file is either Ac3 or MP(something) rarely, there will be actual WAV files in the VOB. Anyhow, you can play whatever audio file you extract with DAP or any player with the proper codecs. Or you could convert to the format of your choice... (Wav, 44.1, 16bit for CD)

J
    Last edited by JahSun; 12-27-2003, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• M-Guest

Originally posted by JahSun
      I believe you can extract an audio file from the DVD with Smartripper or any of a number of DVD rippers. The resulting Audio file is either ASF or MP(something) rarely, there will be actual WAV files in the VOB. Anyhow, you can play whatever audio file you extract with DAP or any player with the proper codecs. Or you could convert to the format of your choice... (Wav, 44.1, 16bit for CD)

J
      The audio in .vob files is encrypted. It is usually in the .ac3 format. The file has to be unencrypted to do anything with it. Spoon's software deosn't do that and he'd have to pay for the ability to do that and it wouldn't be cheap. The laws in your area may not allow decryption or circumvention of digital protection. www.dvddecryptor.com (?) has further info on that...

If you own any unencrypted .vob files... like the ones created with standalone DVD burners...you can use the dbPowerAmp "Winamp input adapter" and use the in_ac3.dll plugin that was made for Winamp. I think you get the in_ac3.dll plugin at www.ac3dec.com . If my memory is wrong... search the web... someone will have it listed for download.

If you install the adapter and the plugin, normally it plays the audio track you want. If so, you can use dbPowerAmp Music Converter to convert .vob or .ac3 audio straight to to .mp3, .wav... lossless... whatever.

If your luck is lousy and it detects the wrong track on playback... then you'd definitely have to use smartripper or Flask MPeg to rip out the correct track...

.vob's can have several audio tracks per file. They have...5 (or is it 6) channels which the in_ac3.dll plugin blends to stereo during conversion/playback. Normally .ac3 audio is encoded at a higher frequency (Hz) too. Youi may want to downsample the output file so that some players don't get buggy.

Comment

• JahSun
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Nov 2003

I know that there are some utilities which allow you to convert ac3 files ripped from VOBs to Wav or Mp3. Some DVD's have 48khz soundtracks. Most have a few channels of audio. (Different Languages, 5.1, Dolby Surround etc.) 5.1 audio by the way is five channels of audio and a subwoofer channel which takes the lower frequencies from the 5 (fr R, fr L, Center, r R, r L). There is usually a stereo mix in there also.

Of course, you could always record the output while you watch the DVD...

Comment

• steptoe
          • Feb 2004

There is specific programs that can rip the DVD audio straight to MP3 for you, but the ones worth using are not free, and have very restricted trials

Try looking at this method, plus its freeware :

Rip the DVD using DVDDecrypter to your computer, this will take care of any encryption on the files

Go get AC3Tool, this will take care of extracting the audio from the VOB files, and converting it to either MP3 or WAV. It can also down mix Dolby 5.1 to 2-channel stereo if required

DVDDecrypter:

AC3Tool :

NOTE :

Ripping an entire DVD can take a huge amount of space, to guarantee it to do the whole DVD, allow about 10GB absolure maximum. It probably won't be anywhere near that, but if you do movies, then a long movie can easily fill virtually all that

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by JahSun
            I know that there are some utilities which allow you to convert ac3 files ripped from VOBs to Wav or Mp3. Some DVD's have 48khz soundtracks. Most have a few channels of audio. (Different Languages, 5.1, Dolby Surround etc.) 5.1 audio by the way is five channels of audio and a subwoofer channel which takes the lower frequencies from the 5 (fr R, fr L, Center, r R, r L). There is usually a stereo mix in there also.

Of course, you could always record the output while you watch the DVD...
            last mentioned (record output while watching DVD) is exactly the solution i resorted to. I'm pleased with the result, nevertheless i ask myself what's wrong with this world that some of most simple technical things seem impossible or priced unreasonably.

Comment

• pakmenu
              • Sep 2005

(original post was by me)
              there has not been one freeware software handeling DVD's that impressed me with either userfriendlyness or parcticular usefullness, so I will continue when i'll need to make an mp3 of a dvd to just record it analog while the player (like powerdvd) plays the tracks down to stereo.

Thanks Jahsun for the being the only one to recognize the direct recording is easyier then freeing up 10Gb and hassle with vobsplitters for an occasional recording for the amateur.

(the quality of the sound, especially spatially is great due to the 5 channels being downmixed by powerdvd and ended up being much better then the stereo soundtrack included on the dvd and ofcourse i recored using the record directly option of the illustrate dMc audio cd input program)

If this kind of transcoding should be possible to do faster then 1:1 by digital transcoding, but if it's not possible 1:1 seems the next best (read fastest and easiest) thing to do.
              I cann't understand why i would have to try to copy to harddisk, decrypt, rip and the encode again, wich will certainly al together take more then the actual playing time of the dvd and.... less fun then enjoying the dvd whilst it is recorded!

PS: the same problem i find with transcoding a DV over i-link/firewire to DVD:
              it should be possible 1:1 but unfortunately i have found no software that can handle de-interlacing (even pinnacle) on the fly. I plan to playback on computer so i want it to end up in wmv or divx.
              In the end (after 2 years of total of >200hours of trying) I gave up and now i'm planning to buy a HDD-DVD recorder. the physical thing. just push the record button and poof! record the 50 tapes i have on the HDD then edit it on the hdd and burn the episodes on dvd.

Doing this on a computer will take about 3 times more time, and the quality of 1:1 recording from dv to mpg is lousy compared with the hardware chip on something like the pioneer 720S.

Comment

• Lt.Worf
                • Sep 2005

I used DVD Decrypter and BeSweet to convert to wav, mp3, ...

Comment

Working...

]]>