title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOw to convert WAV to FLAC

HOw to convert WAV to FLAC

Hi All,

I'm new to this and not very computer savvy. I have about 1/2TB of WAV files that also have album cover art attached. I'm hoping to batch convert the whole shebang to FLAC so I can use Olive server's album view feature. The files reside on a portable HD. I'm not sure how to create the conversion to become FLAC. Is there a spot that has choices for the desired conversion type?

Thaniks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    Chris

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: HOw to convert WAV to FLAC

Quote Originally Posted by chriskeating View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to this and not very computer savvy. I have about 1/2TB of WAV files that also have album cover art attached. I'm hoping to batch convert the whole shebang to FLAC so I can use Olive server's album view feature. The files reside on a portable HD. I'm not sure how to create the conversion to become FLAC. Is there a spot that has choices for the desired conversion type?

Thaniks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    Chris
    Load them up in dbpa converter. Select them, choose convert to, and pick FLAC as the option. You'll want to set your dynamic naming option correctly so that it puts everything in the right subdirectories with desired file names. Also set options on artwork and metadata. Once set up you can convert them all in a single batch.

WOw,

Thanks for the advice. How do I set the options on artwork and metadata correctly? I converted a single album for a test but I don't know if I got the artwork and data done right. I can see on my drive that it's a FLAC but I don't have access to my music server to see if I've attached the artwork.

Thanks again

Administrator

Where is the art stored?

I don't klnw how to answer that. I had someone originally rip all my CD's using Exact Audio Copy. I believe a file is attached to each album wiht the art. I've just converted a few single albums a few minutes ago and the art is there so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks,

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't klnw how to answer that. I had someone originally rip all my CD's using Exact Audio Copy. I believe a file is attached to each album wiht the art. I've just converted a few single albums a few minutes ago and the art is there so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks,
    Sounds like things are working. Be sure to convert a few and test things to see that you are getting the outcomes you want. That is,

1. the files are organized the way you expect (e.g. x:/music/artist/album/track title...) and named the way you expect (e.g., "01 - Come Together - The Beatles)

2. The files have the metadata you want (tags for ARTIST, ALBUM, TRACK NUMBER, TITLE, etc.)

Once you've confirmed all is working, you can do a batch convert and convert all your files to FLAC. Be a bit careful with your albums that are compilations (e.g., movie soundtracks, tribute albums, etc.) As without the COMPILATION tag and/or the ALBUMARTIST tag, these might be converted in a way that creates a different album subdirectory for each ARTIST on the album, rather than a single album subdirectory. For compilation CDs, I organize as:

x:/music/compilations/albums/tracks.....

Hi,

I have another question regarding the batch conversion. It took 4 hours and I can see all of the enwly created FLAC file and the JPEG album art. What I wasn't expecting to see is the original WAV file still in the folders. Since I have an original back up of the WAV files, how do I get rid of the WAV files in the converted batch? DOes my question make sense?

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have another question regarding the batch conversion. It took 4 hours and I can see all of the enwly created FLAC file and the JPEG album art. What I wasn't expecting to see is the original WAV file still in the folders. Since I have an original back up of the WAV files, how do I get rid of the WAV files in the converted batch? DOes my question make sense?
    In the convert popup screen, there is a place to add DSP effects. One of the ones you can add is the "delete source file". This would have deleted the WAV files after conversion. At this point it should be simple. point to the upper directory of where these files are stored and delete *.wav.

p.s. I personally wouldn't use the delete source file dsp. I'd instead convert the files to a new format, having the new files stored in a different parent directory (with the same folder organization as the originals). Then when done, you'll have your new files and the old files, but in different directories. Once you're happy with the conversion being done, one can always delete the old WAV file directory.

I originally mad a WAV to WAV copy of the files on my portable hard drive, thus I have the original "music folder" and now "music folder copy" I used the "copy" verison to do the batch conversion. My originalmusi folder iwth just WAV's is still in it's original form. the "copy" version now has both FLAC and WAV files. I think you are telling me that I can get rid of the WAV files on the "copy" version but I don't undersatnd your instructions. I am fairly illiterate with computer stuff. I apologize for not understanding what is probalby very simple.

dBpoweramp Guru

I originally mad a WAV to WAV copy of the files on my portable hard drive, thus I have the original "music folder" and now "music folder copy" I used the "copy" verison to do the batch conversion. My originalmusi folder iwth just WAV's is still in it's original form. the "copy" version now has both FLAC and WAV files. I think you are telling me that I can get rid of the WAV files on the "copy" version but I don't undersatnd your instructions. I am fairly illiterate with computer stuff. I apologize for not understanding what is probalby very simple.
    are you using windows or Mac?

Windows

dBpoweramp Guru

if windows. from start button, choose all programs, then accessories, COMMAND PROMPT. You're now in a DOS (black and white) screen. Let's say your directory with music folder copy is c:\users\gary\My Music\music folder copy

At this point you enter the following:

del /s /f /q c:\users\gary\My Music\music folder copy\*.wav

This will delete all the WAV files in the "music folder copy" subdirectory (and any lower level subdirectories under "music folder copy" directory)

What if the music is on an external hard drive (Iomega?

dBpoweramp Guru

same thing, just make sure your external drive is plugged in to your computer. and that means your directory location is not "c:\users\gary\My Music\music folder copy\*.wav"

replace that location with the correct location. Could be something like:

d:\music folder copy\*.wav

No matter how I type things in, I keep gettting a message saying the "path can't be found" I can only assume I'm doing something wrong.