title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Import txt-file or exce - How to copy and paste a complete list of titles of an album

Import txt-file or exce - How to copy and paste a complete list of titles of an album

Hello,
    I often find albums without titles in database and I am willing to add it.
    To avoid errors (and stupid work) I want to copy and paste titles from i.e. amazon or original artist site:

1. titlenumber 1
    2. song number two
    3. ...
    15. Last song

How to import it in dBpoweramp CDRipper?

Thank you
    Iven.

Administrator

Re: Import txt-file or exce - How to copy and paste a complete list of titles of an a

You would have to copy and paste each line individually into CD Ripper, select a track and press F2 to edit the title.

Re: Import txt-file or exce - How to copy and paste a complete list of titles of an a

thank you Spoon, but that is exactly what I do NOT want to do!
    ;-)
    Because I have dozens of txt-files from my backed up CDROMs like the covereditor in burning-program.
    If this dbPA is a professional tool there should be Import possibilities too.

Iven

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Iven View Post
    Because I have dozens of txt-files from my backed up CDROMs like the covereditor in burning-program.
    If this dbPA is a professional tool there should be Import possibilities too
    I discussed the issue of using text files as a PerfectMeta import option back in 2010. The only option available then, was to import from the Win95/98/XP cdplayer.ini file and I suspect that does not work anymore in the latest CDRipper. For me, importing from another source, such as a text file, is a necessary option but I doubt we will ever see it implemented.

dBpoweramp Guru

The easiest solution is to use a tag editor. Mp3tag, for example, can import metadata via text files.

How to import it in dBpoweramp CDRipper?
    CD Ripper wouldn't really be an applicable program here. Adding metadata to existing files is an editing task, and like everything else, using the right tool for the job will make it a lot easier. This one's best handled with a dedicated tag editor.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    CD Ripper wouldn't really be an applicable program here. Adding metadata to existing files is an editing task, and like everything else, using the right tool for the job will make it a lot easier.
    But it is the option of importing data into CDRipper prior to ripping and not relying on the metadata sources that is being requested here as often the metadata provided sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    But it is the option of importing data into CDRipper prior to ripping and not relying on the metadata sources that is being requested here as often the metadata provided sucks.
    Mville,
    I strongly second your feature request. As I rip my CD library, I'm coming across many CD's for which dbpa is not able to find metadata. I find it very tedious entering the metadata on the CD-ripper user interface. It would make things a lot easier if I was able to import metadata from an Excel file or a plain-text file. People have had mixed luck with importing metadata from cdplayer.ini.

Spoon,
    Could we please make this a high priority feature request?

Having ripped over a hundred CD's, I find dbpa to be an excellent ripping tool. It has been able to recover from errors on numerous CD's. The only painful part of using dbpa has been the lack of ability to import metadata from a file when it can't find the metadata online.

Quote Originally Posted by atul View Post
    Mville,
    I strongly second your feature request. As I rip my CD library, I'm coming across many CD's for which dbpa is not able to find metadata. I find it very tedious entering the metadata on the CD-ripper user interface. It would make things a lot easier if I was able to import metadata from an Excel file or a plain-text file. People have had mixed luck with importing metadata from cdplayer.ini.

Spoon,
    Could we please make this a high priority feature request?

Having ripped over a hundred CD's, I find dbpa to be an excellent ripping tool. It has been able to recover from errors on numerous CD's. The only painful part of using dbpa has been the lack of ability to import metadata from a file when it can't find the metadata online.
    As I sit here re-ripping several of Dave's Picks I whole-heartedly agree. Even something as simple as "paste all titles from clipboard", and if there aren't the right number of lines, then error.

for example this in the clipboard:

Ramble On Rose
    Big Boss Man
    Mexicali Blues
    Brown-Eyed Women
    Me and My Uncle
    Smokestack Lightning
    Deal
    Truckin'
    Not Fade Away
    Going Down the Road Feelin' Bad
    Not Fade Away
    One More Saturday Night

and hit a keystroke (say &*8984; + &*8679; + V or the windows equivalent).
    Last edited by left4deadinclt; 07-01-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Administrator

R16 does have this ability, right click on a track in CD Ripper >> Copy Track Names to Clipboard

then look at the format, and you can paste back.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    R16 does have this ability, right click on a track in CD Ripper >> Copy Track Names to Clipboard

then look at the format, and you can paste back.
    I upgraded from 14 to R16 entirely based on this feature you mention (it's been a complete pain for years to retype or cut & paste titles one at a time from another window), but I can't get it to work. How does one "paste back"? Thanks for your assistance!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by knees View Post
    I upgraded from 14 to R16 entirely based on this feature you mention (it's been a complete pain for years to retype or cut & paste titles one at a time from another window), but I can't get it to work. How does one "paste back"?
    First copy titles to the clipboard, where each line copied to the clipboard represents each title on the CD.

So, if the CD has 9 tracks, copy 9 lines to the clipboard, example:
    Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
    Baby Be Mine
    The Girl Is Mine
    Thriller
    Beat It
    Billie Jean
    Human Nature
    P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
    The Lady In My Life

Then in CD Ripper, right click on a track and choose Paste Track Titles from clipboard from the context menu.

Done.
    Last edited by mville; 09-09-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added example data

The above copy & paste howto seems to work only for normal non-compilation albums.

But how can I bulk paste track & artist (per track) information for Various Artist CDs?

Very best wishes
    Pete