title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ID Tag Update

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

ID Tag Update

Spoon,

I'd like to clean up my FLAC tags with your ID Tag Update utility. Please answer each of the following:

1. I'd like to change existing tags to use capitalization rule "Lowercase except first letter" but the only way I can get it to work is to map the tags to themselves. Should it work without having to mapping the tags to themselves?

2. Is there a way to do *1 en masse, spanning a folder hierarchy?

3. Windows 7 appears to have some tag search capability. Some files from the CD Ripper weren't matching a particular search, and a visual inspection of tag revealed no problems, but they did work after running the ID Tag Update with no rules (nothing in the Map/Deletions/Manipulations/Additions tabs). Does this utility rewrite/clean-up the tags by default?

4. For the Qobuz FLACs I suppose I should get the latest beta version, correct? Is it stable? Should I be able to clean-up the tags with the beta version?
    Last edited by Darryl R; 11-07-2014 at 01:54 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: ID Tag Update

Also does dBpa have a tag search capability anywhere?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon, I've learned a little more so let me rephrase as follows:

1. I'd like to change the case of existing tag names, but not the data. Is the best way by mapping the tags to themselves? The capitalization rule changes tag data, and I don't want that to happen, and it doesn't appear to affect existing tabs.

2. Is there a way to do the above en masse, spanning a folder hierarchy?

3. Windows 7 appears to have some tag search capability. Some files from the CD Ripper weren't matching a particular search, and a visual inspection of tag revealed no problems, but they did work after running the ID Tag Update with no rules (nothing in the Map/Deletions/Manipulations/Additions tabs). Does this utility rewrite/clean-up the tags by default?

4. For problem Qobuz FLACs, should I be able to clean-up the tags with the beta version?

5. Does dBpa have a tag search capability anywhere?

Thank you.

Administrator

dBpoweramp does not have a tag search.

ID Tag update should do any actions, no need to do the mapping, you can use batch converter to select all your files to convert to this utility codec in one go, however try on a few files first.

For quoboz you will need the latest beta.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Is the default action of ID Tag Update to rewrite all the tags in a file?

Is the beta stable?

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl R View Post
    Is the default action of ID Tag Update to rewrite all the tags in a file?.
    Not sure, but why would it matter? It will modify any of the tags you specify as you tell it to. But let's say it rewrites all the remaining tags using values that are already there. That is, you would see tags exactly like you want. Note that rewriting tag data does NOT touch your audio portion of your file if that is your concern.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It appears to be the case, and if it is, it will help me clean up a lot of sloppy tag issues in hundreds of files. I wouldn't take the time if it does not rewrite them.

Perhaps you read into my question negatively, when I'm actually hoping this is the case.

I'd also like to know if the beta version is considered stable.
    Last edited by Darryl R; 11-08-2014 at 12:47 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl R View Post
    It appears to be the case, and if it is, it will help me clean up a lot of sloppy tag issues.

Perhaps you read into my question negatively, when I'm actually hoping this is the case.

I'd also like to know if the beta version is considered stable.
    aha. But by rewrite, it won't change the content unless you tell it too. For example it won't automatically convert "The Beetles" to "The Beatles". That is, it is not doing a new tag database lookup for you. However, PerfectTunes will have that function soon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Right, but apparently there is some inconsistency in the internal formatting of the tags across retailers (as evidenced by the qobuz problem), which this utility may clean up, even though not changing the data. Also, while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and map existing tags to change them from all caps to upper-lower. Even the very limited search capability in W7 responded positively to this.

I don't want anything to touch my tag data. It's all classical, and I've spent tons of time this year getting it the way I want it.

dBPoweramp has been a great tool in all that it does!

PS - Spoon is a busy man I'm sure, so I'm wondering if I should carry my questions down again so they're not obscured by our discussion.
    Last edited by Darryl R; 11-08-2014 at 02:22 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

understand.

Administrator

All tags are rewritten.

The beta should be stable yes.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Spoon. So my plan was to take the qobuz flacs to another PC with 15.2 beta installed, run the conversion on them, and then bring them back to the 15.1 machine where I could then run the batch conversion on everything at once. The good news is that 15.2 does in fact handle the qobuz tags, but they still break on the 15.1 machine, even after the conversion. I can wipe out every qobuz tag, and then go back thinking I'm adding them anew, and it still throws the exception. Makes me wonder what is really happening with the qobuz files down in the FLAC DLLs. I emailed Erik de Castro Lopo (the programmer who last worked on FLAC per your reference) asking him what he changed, but he didn't respond.

Looks like I have no choice, at least as concerns the qobuz files, but to use 15.2, which I'd prefer not to do until it moves from beta.
    Last edited by Darryl R; 11-08-2014 at 04:59 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I've been using 15.2 beta to rip and convert tags for all downloads, including Qobuz, and has been working great. Well done Spoon.