title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset Finds Previously Deleted Tracks On My Hard Drive

Asset Finds Previously Deleted Tracks On My Hard Drive

I've recently bought a Nami Mu-so network music player & I was recommended to use Asset as the preferred way of accessing the music on the HD attached to my iMac, and stored under "iTunes Library".

I set Asset to scan through the folder on the attached HD, but it not only lists my albums but it also manages to find a whole load of previously deleted music, most of it either unplayable or with much distortion. I've tried running the Apple Disc Utility and erasing free space, but to no avail. I've tried deleting Asset & reinstalling ,but it still starts up showing the previously scanned albums, including the corrupted, deleted ones.

I'm not sure what to do; the matter is made worse because it lists both types of track with the same name together on a single album so if I attempt to play an album through it will play a good one followed by the bad version.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Asset Finds Previously Deleted Tracks On My Hard Drive

If the bad one still plays with distortion, then it still exists, Asset to serve a file so it can play, the file has to exist. Perhaps you have a copy of this music somewhere else that Asset is scanning.

Hi Mr Spoon, there is no sign of these errant files on the hard drive. I've searched for them in vain & I've tried listing hidden files but they don't show up there either.

dBpoweramp Guru

Have you emptied your recycling bin?

Yes, and purged the hard drive afterwards.

An update - I've now sorted the problem. After a bit of dIgging around I realised that buried within the list of music folders on my HD was another one also labelled 'iTunes'. I opened this & realised it contained the correct music files; iTunes saw only these of course & played them correctly, but Asset also discovered all the files on the disc. I moved all files except the second iTunes folder off to a spare HD (just in case) & all's now well - Asset just shows the 'good' music and no duplicates.

Incidentally, I also ran a "Doug Script" program that attached all the artwork to the appropriate files, rather than keeping it in a separate folder as per iTunes, so I've now got all the artwork showing as well.

Thanks for the help folks, maybe this experience might help someone else. I've certainly learned a lot!