title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Install dBpoweramp ONLY in Admnistrator Profile???

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Install dBpoweramp ONLY in Admnistrator Profile???

We would like to install dBpoweramp in a system's Administrator profile but not have it available for use in the other general-use profile named Broadcaster. That is, the capability for ripping CDs should be available if necessary for the PC's administrator but not for the DJs using the PC for on-air programming. We have another installation in the music library for that purpose when they're off the air.

Is this possible and if so, what does it take to install it this way?

Dennis, aka "d2b"

Administrator

Re: Install dBpoweramp ONLY in Admnistrator Profile???

Set the security permissions for the cd ripper to the admin user only, no other user would be able to access this program.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sounds good, thanks! But am I correct in assuming that you mean the security settings in Windows 7 for CDGrab.exe?

Dennis...aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Easier said than done. Windows 7 security protocol is a mystery to me. Can you offer any information on how to disable dBpoweramp CD Ripper for regular users but still allow an administrator to run it? I did what I thought was right but then no one could run it.

Dennis...aka "d2b"

Administrator

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Applocker is not included in Windows 7 Professional edition. It's only available in Ultimate and Enterprise versions.

Dennis...aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by d2b View Post
    We would like to install dBpoweramp in a system's Administrator profile but not have it available for use in the other general-use profile named Broadcaster. That is, the capability for ripping CDs should be available if necessary for the PC's administrator but not for the DJs using the PC for on-air programming.
    dBpoweramp installer lacks the "just for me" or "for all users" option. So, without applocker or parental control software, I don't think it is possible.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

http://download.cnet.com/AppLocker/3...-10910060.html

Is this the same application that's only available in windows 7's Ultimate and Enterprise editions? CNET is normally a reliable source for downloads and the application's name is the same,

Dennis...aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by d2b View Post
    http://download.cnet.com/AppLocker/3...-10910060.html

Is this the same application that's only available in windows 7's Ultimate and Enterprise editions? CNET is normally a reliable source for downloads and the application's name is the same,

Dennis...aka "d2b"
    This "AppLocker" does not do quite what I wanted, thought it does do what it is intended to do.

Having said that, I found a reasonable way to keep general users from using any of the dBpoweramp applications. After installing dBpoweramp for all users, simply remove the entire dBpoweramp folder from the All Programs menu. Then go to the dBpoweramp folder in C:\Programs when in the Administrator profile and Pin the desired application(s) to the Start menu. This makes them visible to Administrators but not seen at all in the general purpose Broadcaster profile used by our DJs.

I know...a clever DJ could do the same thing when in the Broadcaster profile, but most if not all of them are not likely to even know the applications are installed. Besides, it's not the end of the world if one of them did this, except that they've all been told that these computers are not their personal playgrounds and that there are dire consequences for tampering with the configuration of these machines.

One thing I discover though, which I find annoying, is this: When pinning the Music Coverter to the Start Menu in Windows 7, a generic Windows icon appears rather than some kind of dBpoweramp Music Converter icon. What's with that?

Dennis...aka "d2b"