title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Dynamic Folder Naming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dynamic Folder Naming

Just a simple dynamic folder naming question. I can't seem to get it to work. I maintain two libraries, one I rip lossless music to using dBpoweramp, the other is an iTunes copy for my mobile devices. The folder structure for the primary library is E:\Music\album artist, and the iTunes copy is E:\iTunes\iTunes Media\album artist. After ripping to the primary, I simply want to convert the tracks in each album artist folder, copying and creating the same album artist folder in the iTunes library. I only do this one album at a time as the libraries are complete. This is just whenever I make a new purchase. I have tried some different combinations, but I always seem to end up with the tracks loose (no album artist folder) in the iTunes\iTunes Media\ folder; or buried in a secondary folder that I don't want, such as iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\. I am using Windows 8.1. I would be grateful if anyone can help.

Thanks, Simon

Administrator

Re: Dynamic Folder Naming

set dynamic to:

[trimfirstfolder][origpath][]\[origfilename]

Then set the path as:

E:\iTunes\iTunes Media\

Thanks Spoon: Just what the doctor ordered! That works now. I was using 'trimfirstfolder' but getting the syntax wrong.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by scoughlan View Post
    I have tried some different combinations, but I always seem to end up with the tracks loose (no album artist folder) in the iTunes\iTunes Media\ folder; or buried in a secondary folder that I don't want, such as iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\. I am using Windows 8.1. I would be grateful if anyone can help.

Thanks, Simon
    Without seeing the dynamic naming & path options you've tried, it's impossible to know what you've been getting wrong. But I just wanted to mention that that second scenario, where the tracks end up in the iTunes\Media\Music folder, can result from iTunes itself organizing the files when it's set a certain way. (Your naming scheme could have done it as well.) Since it appears that you wish to use your own file structure, be sure to turn off these two settings in iTunes preferences: (1) the one that allows iTunes to organize your library, and (2) the one that instructs iTunes to copy all added music to your iTunes library.

If you are doing a separate file conversion for the iTunes library (different from the lossless format in your main library), remember that you can use multi-encoder to create both versions at once. That would save you the time and trouble of doing that second conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Without seeing the dynamic naming & path options you've tried, it's impossible to know what you've been getting wrong. But I just wanted to mention that that second scenario, where the tracks end up in the iTunes\Media\Music folder, can result from iTunes itself organizing the files when it's set a certain way. (Your naming scheme could have done it as well.) Since it appears that you wish to use your own file structure, be sure to turn off these two settings in iTunes preferences: (1) the one that allows iTunes to organize your library, and (2) the one that instructs iTunes to copy all added music to your iTunes library.

If you are doing a separate file conversion for the iTunes library (different from the lossless format in your main library), remember that you can use multi-encoder to create both versions at once. That would save you the time and trouble of doing that second conversion.
    Thanks for the reply BrodyBoy. I have turned off those two options in iTunes, but I take your point about the multi-encoder. That would save time. Can you access this from the CD Ripper? As I said, I have already converted my primary library. This only arises when I make subsequent CD purchases and rip those albums (I prefer to rip from CD and keep my 'hard copy', rather than downloading.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by scoughlan View Post
    Thanks for the reply BrodyBoy. I have turned off those two options in iTunes, but I take your point about the multi-encoder. That would save time. Can you access this from the CD Ripper? As I said, I have already converted my primary library. This only arises when I make subsequent CD purchases and rip those albums (I prefer to rip from CD and keep my 'hard copy', rather than downloading.
    Yeah, multi-encoder is one of the "stock encoders" available in dBp. You select it from the drop-down list the same way you would select any other encoder, but then you set the separate parameters for each of the encoders you want it to use.

I'm the same way with my library....I want the CD so I can get a perfect lossless rip (I have no interest in the usual lossy downloads), but then that "hard copy" goes straight to storage. I keep thinking I should get rid of all those CDs, but I probably won't until I start tripping over them!

Very useful, thanks, that will save some time. Must admit, I selected FLAC encoder and never looked at it again! Still, Spoon's reply will still help for when I download hi res tracks: The only time I don't buy the CD. Maybe the CDs will become collectable one day like records!!