title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Configuring Volumio to work with Asset UPnP

Configuring Volumio to work with Asset UPnP

I apologise for the basic question but I have just spent a day or so getting the dbpoweramp upnp server to run on a spare raspberry pi (initially had issues with the hard disk having NTFS file format). Anyway after some work I got asset to work (I think!), indicates the right number of albums on the hard drive so I think all is good.

I am now trying to get asset to work with another pi running volumio (www.volumio.org). However, whatever I try seems to fail.

Can someone please walk me through the basic configuration of Volumio to recognise the upnp server:

Volumio asks for:

1. Source name
    2. Fileshare protocol
    3. ip address (I know this)
    4. remote directory

Do I need more information, whatever I try so far fails.

I appreciate any help.

Ian

Administrator

Re: Configuring Volumio to work with Asset UPnP

Sounds like you need a control point, or it volumio does not support such, a upnp renderer which does.

You should not have to enter this information, I not even know what it wants.

Hi
    Volumio supports or apparently supports either direct play from a HDD connected to the Pi, a seperate NAS drive or UPnP.

I guess the question I am asking (basic as it is) is what information does the renderer need to find the Asset UPnP and the associated music files?

Cheers
    Ian

Administrator

A control point normally does all this, it scans for servers and does listings and gets file types, there is never manual entry of these.

Oh ok. In that case Volumio does not have a control point.

As I have said I have got Asset UPnP running on a raspberry pi with a 2TB NTFS drive. I followed the instructions almost exactly as described on this site to get the software to run. The only issue I had was a need to add:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

I mounted the drive with:
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o rw /dev/sda1 /media/usbflash/

When I typed:
    ls -1 /media/usbflash

one of the folders listed was Music which is where all my FLAC files are.

On the Asset-configuration I put: /media/usbflash/ into the watched media folders box and when I scanned it picked up the albums (presumably from the Music folder).

So if I am trying to manually configure the NAS what is the remote directory likely to be? Is it most likely to be /media/usbflash/ ?

Thanks for your patience

Ian

From what I have read all Volumio needs is the ip address.

I just had a look on my windows 8 pc and it can see "Asset UPnP:raspberrpi" on my network and when I right click on this and check the properties it says that the IP address is 192.168.1.107 which is correct.

There is also a tree of files underneath and if I click on albums then all albums I can select and play music from the NAS. So I know that all the installation of Asset is correct. I just need to persuade Volumio to talk with it!

Any more ideas?

Cheers
    Ian

Administrator

The 3 elements you require are internal to upnp, they should not be manually typed in, anyhow:

1 will be the shown name
    2 will be http
    4 I have no clue, upnp is not directory based, instead it is browsed through a control point.

Hi I was being a bit thick in not understanding exactly what a "control point" was. I downloaded Linn's Kinsky App onto my i phone and it worked, well kind of. The Linn app only plays the first track of an album then stops. I see from an internet search others have had the same issue when using non-Linn players. I also tried an App called 8 player lite which on a brief play does appear to work (will check properly later).

What are the best recommended App's to work with an I phone?

Cheers
    Ian

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I solved the problem of only playing one track by installing BubbleUPnP Server alongside Asset UPnP. For more details you can look here: http://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/