title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Interpreting Rip report

Interpreting Rip report

Hi

I am brand new to dBpoweramp and also this is my very first post. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere on the forum but I was wondering if someone could help me interpret the ripping report below please. In particular does it mean that, despite Track 2 not recording an Accurate Rip confidence number (as Track 1 does) is it secure enough not to contain significant errors and so OK to play back as a FLAC file? In other words I suppose what I am asking is what does the text in red mean below for Track 2? Thanks

Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'C:\Users\Jodie\Music\FLAC files\Mike Stern\Jigsaw\01 Mike Stern - Another Way Around.flac'
    Track 1: Ripped LBA 32 to 28910 (6:25) in 0:37. Filename: C:\Users\Jodie\Music\FLAC files\Mike Stern\Jigsaw\01 Mike Stern - Another Way Around.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 10) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: DE5E22C3 AccurateRip CRC: 8D179D33 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 007-000cafec-004c7a5d-680af207-1]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 10 [CRCv2 8d179d33]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 12 [CRCv1 c1cfd646]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 10 [CRCv2 8d179d33]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 12 [CRCv1 c1cfd646]

Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 2' to 'C:\Users\Jodie\Music\FLAC files\Mike Stern\Jigsaw\02 Mike Stern - Loose Ends.flac'
    Track 2: Ripped LBA 28910 to 56732 (6:10) in 2:47. Filename: C:\Users\Jodie\Music\FLAC files\Mike Stern\Jigsaw\02 Mike Stern - Loose Ends.flac
    Secure (Warning) [Pass 1 & 2, Ultra 1 to 3, Re-Rip 6 Frames]
    CRC32: 5281436C [COLOR="*FF0000"]AccurateRip CRC: D94AE97F (CRCv2) [DiscID: 007-000cafec-004c7a5d-680af207-2][/COLOR]

Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 3' to 'C:\Users\Jodie\Music\FLAC files\Mike Stern\Jigsaw\03 Mike Stern - To Let You Know.flac'
    Track 3: Ripped LBA 56732 to 85987 (6:30) in 0:25. Filename: C:\Users\Jodie\Music\FLAC files\Mike Stern\Jigsaw\03 Mike Stern - To Let You Know.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 10) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: 1D261642 AccurateRip CRC: D65160E3 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 007-000cafec-004c7a5d-680af207-3]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 10 [CRCv2 d65160e3]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 13 [CRCv1 c82b4d39]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 10 [CRCv2 d65160e3]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 13 [CRCv1 c82b4d39]

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Interpreting Rip report

Secure (Warning) means that the ripper had to retry on a few frames, but ultimately was successful (i.e., the "secure" part). In your case this was 6 frames. Which is something like 1/1000'th of a second (or some really, really small number, I forget the exact calc)**. You might wipe the disk clean then retry the rip for track 2 (and it may come up with an AR match), or try ripping using a different drive. One can often get different results with different Drives. But the bottom line is that Secure (warning) is most likely just fine. Note that if you had ripped the CD with many other rippers (itunes, etc.) it would have simply reported that the entire disk was ripped OK with no information (such as "Secure(warning)")

**edit. I think there are about 44,100 frames per second. Not 100% sure on that.
    Last edited by garym; 10-19-2014 at 06:20 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

According to Spoon's ripping guide:

Audio CD times are represented as M S F (minutes, seconds, frames), where there are 75 frames per second, each frame consists of 2352 audio bytes, or 588 samples. One second of uncompressed audio CD data = 75 x 2352 = 176400 bytes, or 176 KB.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-aud...cd-ripping.htm

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Secure (Warning) means that the ripper had to retry on a few frames, but ultimately was successful (i.e., the "secure" part). In your case this was 6 frames. Which is something like 1/1000'th of a second (or some really, really small number, I forget the exact calc)**. You might wipe the disk clean then retry the rip for track 2 (and it may come up with an AR match), or try ripping using a different drive. One can often get different results with different Drives. But the bottom line is that Secure (warning) is most likely just fine. Note that if you had ripped the CD with many other rippers (itunes, etc.) it would have simply reported that the entire disk was ripped OK with no information (such as "Secure(warning)")

**edit. I think there are about 44,100 frames per second. Not 100% sure on that.
    Many thanks garym for such a quick reply. Really clear and helpful.

Hi garym

Following your answer above to my original post recently, specifically concerning using a different drive, I started a separate new thread under the "CD ripper" section of the forum but have not had a response yet and so I hope it is OK to reproduce it below. Any help greatly appreciated and apologies if I should have posted this question in a different section. (I do not know if any of the drives that Spoon recently recommended for 2014 are compatible with my Acer Aspire 5536 laptop or indeed how to find out which drives are compatible with which machines).

[COLOR="*0000CD"]I currently have the single user dBpoweramp licence Reference version installed on an Acer Aspire 5536 laptop which came with a DVD multi drive with the following spec:

[COLOR="*0000CD"]Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
    CD Drive: DVDRAM GT20N
    Firmware: CP02
    Serial:
    Maximum Speed: 4234 KB/sec (x24)[COLOR="*0000CD"][COLOR="*0000CD"][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Current Speed: 4234 KB/sec (x24)
    Spin-down After: 2 minutes
    Buffer Size: 1 MB
    Accurate Stream: Yes
    C2 Error Pointers: Yes
    Reads ISRC: Yes
    Reads UPC: Yes

[/COLOR]

[COLOR="*0000CD"]Offset +667[/COLOR]

My 2 options seem to be as follows:

1) fit another drive to my laptop (I have never done this but assume it is not too difficult)

2) install dBpoweramp on a different computer with a different drive but presumably I would then have to pay the higher price for the licence to allow me to install the software on this other computer? Is this correct? I would prefer not to have to pay an increased licence fee as I am the only person in the household that uses dBpoweramp.

If I choose option 1, is there a particular CD drive that anyone recommends for my Acer laptop please?

Thanks [/COLOR]

dBpoweramp Guru

Re laptop, I've just added a USB2 or USB3 compatible external drive that I can use with my laptop in addition to the internal drive. I used this case and this drive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have the family pack of dbpa so I can install on more than one machine. I can rip on my work computer or my home laptop (and it has internal and external drive as noted above). So that gives me three tries regarding different drives.

Re laptop, I've just added a USB2 or USB3 compatible external drive that I can use with my laptop in addition to the internal drive. I used this case and this drive.

I also have the family pack of dbpa so I can install on more than one machine. I can rip on my work computer or my home laptop (and it has internal and external drive as noted above). So that gives me three tries regarding different drives.

It has been a while since garym's reply above but I am now in a position to consider what other dvd/cd drive I will buy. I have looked at the two links above from garym but unfortunately the case is not available on amazon UK (I live in the UK). The import duties and shipping charges make the Vantec case unaffordable for me. So I have been looking for alternatives and found this case:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/13134...f14=108&ff19=0

This is a totally new subject to me and please can someone explain whether/why you need a case and a drive, like the LiteOn drive that garym suggested. I have an Acer 5536 laptop with service pack 2 Vista Home Premium OS, and I believe it is SATA interface. It seems that there are other slimline (e.g. LiteOn) optical drives out there which appear to be plug and play and they do not seem to require a case. Or am I missing something?

Also, some of the slimline drives such as this one http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compon...57109-pdt.html

appear to be just plug and play, without the need for a case. However, I cannot see if these are only for PC's or whether they will be compatible with my laptop.

Administrator

You do not need a case either for 5.25", the CD drive is effectively in its own metal case, you just need something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-USB-2-...item19f0e890b6

I use similar

Thanks very much Spoon.

So just to be sure (sorry if a silly question) , I assume that I could not use this type of USB device to connect to any one of the drives that you listed in your "CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2014", as these are presumably all internal drives that have to be fitted into my laptop?

Administrator

Most drives in the accuracy list will be 5.25" drives which would work with this adapter.

Great thanks very much indeed Spoon.