title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on gapping

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Question on gapping

no worries. it is a least a solution for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo
    this would be no different than burning your mp3's to disk and then using "rip as one" feature in dmc cd audio input and then burn that one file to disk, thus acheiving the gap? of course a cdrw would save on coasters/space too when doing this.
    I re-read your suggestion and found one problem with it.
    After you do the "rip as one" thing you have only one big file, and when you burn that to CDR you don't have any track data -- just one big track with no ability to display track name (only one tag for the whole thing) and no ability to skip to the next (or previous) track.

dBpoweramp Guru

well i guess that's the part that confuses me. can you give me an example of how this no gap burning works? does it bookmark/index sections?

i guess i am not following.

if it is multiple tracks than why one file that is index as burn with no gap feature , opposed to mutiple files that are indexed? whats the difference?

well i guess that's the part that confuses me. can you give me an example of how this no gap burning works? does it bookmark/index sections?

i guess i am not following.

if it is multiple tracks than why one file that is index as burn with no gap feature , opposed to mutiple files that are indexed? whats the difference?
    Let's see if I can explain it by use of an example.
    I have a recording of a (Grateful) Dead concert. It was originally recorded as one large track (either analogue or digital -- doesn't matter). I want to burn the music to CDR (either cda or mp3 -- again, doesn't matter).
    My choices are:

1. Burn the existing track (after converting to a digital form if needed) "as is". This will get me a good sounding CD that has the music flowing from one song to the next just as it was played. So far, so good. However it will not allow me to skip from one song to the next, since it is all one track. It also will not allow separate tags (or CD-Text info) for each song.

2. Split the master file into separate files for each song. Then burn all the resulting files to the CDR in the proper order. If the burning software does NOT insert any gaps between tracks ("Disc At Once" mode) the result will sound just like *1 but with the added ability to skip to the next/previous song and contain tag/CD-Text info for each file (song).

3. Just like *2 except that the burner inserts a silent gap (usually 2 Seconds) between each track. When you play the CD you hear a 2 second silence between songs. This is not a problem on songs that are discrete and complete unto themselves, but it is very annoying on a live recording where each song flows into the next without stopping.

Was that any easier to understand?
    I'm glad I didn't go into teaching!

dBpoweramp Guru

2. Split the master file into separate files for each song. Then burn all the resulting files to the CDR in the proper order. If the burning software does NOT insert any gaps between tracks ("Disc At Once" mode) the result will sound just like *1 but with the added ability to skip to the next/previous song and contain tag/CD-Text info for each file (song).
    so this is the desired result needed?

so this is the desired result needed?
    Exactly.

I've been thinking on this and doing a little testing.
    It's only a problem with cda burning. With mp3 discs the gaps (if any) are a function of the player. I hope this makes things a little clearer.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just Use Nero. You can take the 2 seconds off every track except the 1st. This, of course doesn't matter. From bootlegs of live shows, to DJ mixes and other such audio cd creation, you neeeed gapless cd writing. Period. end of story.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by JahSun
    Just Use Nero. You can take the 2 seconds off every track except the 1st. This, of course doesn't matter. From bootlegs of live shows, to DJ mixes and other such audio cd creation, you neeeed gapless cd writing. Period. end of story.
    I have been using Nero and Feurio! to burn audio CDs, but I would like to be able to use one application for cda and mp3. Also it would be very handy to be able to use dBpowerAMP CD Writer because with it I can go from flac directly to CD without doing the conversion as a separate step. If it ever comes about it would be a good thing, but as you say, there are ways to do it in the interim.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Trust me, I am not a Nero spokesperson, but all the recent versions of Nero can burn direct from FLAC.

Now I would love to see a gapless dCW for all my ape, mpc and other bizzare formats not likely to be supported by Nero any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JahSun
    Trust me, I am not a Nero spokesperson, but all the recent versions of Nero can burn direct from FLAC.

Now I would love to see a gapless dCW for all my ape, mpc and other bizzare formats not likely to be supported by Nero any time soon.

Hi

What I did to work around the gapless issue is to arrange the tracks in a playlist - then play the lot using gapless playback and using a desktop sound recorder (creative recorder) to record the session.

Then I split the tracks up with a WAV (CD-WAV shareware) editor which creates seperate tracks that were labelled and burnt the whole to disc (as one) with dMC thus creating a self-mixed CD with overlaps/fades...Hope this helps. Maybe the process could be automated by some clever person?

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh
    Hi

What I did to work around the gapless issue is to arrange the tracks in a playlist - then play the lot using gapless playback and using a desktop sound recorder (creative recorder) to record the session.

Then I split the tracks up with a WAV (CD-WAV shareware) editor which creates seperate tracks that were labelled and burnt the whole to disc (as one) with dMC thus creating a self-mixed CD with overlaps/fades...Hope this helps. Maybe the process could be automated by some clever person?

Judging the number of views and replies to this thread this is a clearly desirable missing feature - especially since there are so many gapless mix albums

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh
    Judging the number of views and replies to this thread this is a clearly desirable missing feature - especially since there are so many gapless mix albums
    True.

The problem with your above mentioned technique is that it takes forever, and you are making a brand new recording. Thus, you may have issues with levels, peaking, sound quality deterioration etc. &, if you go through all this hassle... you may try and burn your precious compilation only to find that 2 second gaps have still been inserted between your songs. (really annoying to have a space in the middle of a live recording or a crossfade!!!) Compilations of this sort need to be burned in "Disc at Once/96" mode in order to be truly gapless and have CD Text. Burning the thing as a single song doesn't really solve anything, because you lose the ability to skip around the cd, and seperate CD Text for each track. Don't even ask why Philips (the Dutch company that invented the CD & the DVD) made this 2 second .cda problem in the first place. (I'm not sure if they are responsible)

Compared to what you described above, I can compile, crossfade, edit, normalize and burn Flac, Wav, Mp3 & WMA files without altering them in about 10 or 15 minutes in Nero. (4 minutes to burn) Who has time for reinventing the wheel?

Hi again

I agree. Just to make it clear though, the resulting recording did have have track seperation (without the 2 sec gap) thus I was able to navigate the cd.

I would not repeat this process unless it was a truly 'special' compilation - using roxio, nero whatever, is less hassle but then I might as well dispense with DB which would be a shame. I don't want to as it's a fantastic application for my purposes in all other respects. I admit to having roxio installed though...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I got that you managed to make it work... Congrats. Its just like changing a tire with pliers and a vice grip. I used to do something similar ages ago when CD burning was still only in the realm of professionals, and way before DVD's. I would record songs into a dedicated hard drive recorder, edit, trim etc. manually insert the track breaks, eq, compress, normalize, burn an ISO image to the hard drive, and then finally burn the damn CD. In those days 1 coaster (wall clock, frisbee) per 10 was a good ratio. Needless to say, I only made mix cd's for my very best friends and they cherished them. Remastering my friends' Dead bootlegs would be a 50$ service.

I wouldn't toss DB stuff just because the DCW isn't the greatest for burning compilations and live shows. The main feature for me is really the DMC & DAP combo, which lets you rip everything to any format effortlessly & then play the tunes without having to decompress to Wav. The Gapless issue is not exactly icing on the cake, but it isn't the bread & butter either.