title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on gapping

Cool Question on gapping

Just curious as to how CD Writer handles gapping. Some CD's I have are single tracks and sound fine after buning them. I also have some continuous mix CD's I'd like to burn. Haven't done them yet. Wanted to ask here how the software would handle this. I notice there is no option to check for 2-second gaps like there is on every other burning program I use (all of which have given me a lifetime supply of frisbees/coasters.) I also have a slight "complaint" about your CD Writer. I've burnt 7 CD's using it to date, and have not been blessed with a single coaster, unfortunately lowering my stress-level.

Be Groovy,

FLIP :komisch7:

Administrator

Re: Question on gapping

dCW cannot write gapless CDs, I really want to add it - but I am reliant on a 3rd party :(

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    dCW cannot write gapless CDs, I really want to add it - but I am reliant on a 3rd party :(
    Gapless CD writing is essential. That is why I use Nero for most burning. (Except I use DCW for Ogg Vorbis CD's) Perhaps you could use the Nero code?
    That Reminds me... Is it possible to get DCW to burn APE CD's? Maybe we could have an option to burn playable CD's of any of the formats supported by DMC...

J

Administrator

Yes - if you create a new Audio CD that is Ogg Vorbis.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I know you can write Ogg Vorbis CD's, but can you write APE, FLAC, MPC CD's (and all the rest)? I don't mean simply burning the files onto a CD-Rom, but a dedicated, playable, self booting CD. (Like your typical MP3 CD)

Administrator

Yes, if you mean play them on the PC (all those formats), a new version of dCW will allow bootable CDs to play the tracks.

Yes, if you mean play them on the PC (all those formats), a new version of dCW will allow bootable CDs to play the tracks.

JahSun

It is something i'am thinking about:

Back-up all my cds in an lossless format.
    But this don't make sens using cd.
    You need to burn it on DVD disc.

This is very important to any audio CCD burning software. What would it take to get this feature added? I assume it would be money to the third party. yes?

BTW, your software is excellent!

dBpoweramp Guru

forgive my ignorance here but what is the importance of the gap? and how does it effect the end playing/listening result?

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo
    forgive my ignorance here but what is the importance of the gap? and how does it effect the end playing/listening result?
    What is important is to be able to eliminate the gap entirely. When burning a live concert (say a Dead show) the separate tracks should flow from one to another without any gaps. If you just burn as one big track, you won't be able to go to a particular song because there is no way to index it in an unbroken file. So you need to be able to separate the songs into tracks, write CD-text info (or mp3 tags, etc.) for each track and them burn the CD without gaps.

Administrator

Said 3rd party does not want to do it, I have offered :(

dBpoweramp Guru

so it works the same as Spoon's "rip as one" feature? except the other way around.

and someone owns the technology needed for it to be put in dcw?

Said 3rd party does not want to do it, I have offered :(
    Bummer:(
    How about an option of burning to an ISO image which could be saved to disc and then burned to CDR with Nero or something else which will burn in Disc at Once mode? Not so convenient or fast, but it would allow use of dCW to arrange the directory and file structure in one step, and that of a second application to do the actual disc burning in another.

Come to think of it, a "Burn to File" mode would also be very useful in setting up dCW since one could try different settings without wasting a CDR for each try -- I'm surrounded by dead CDRs at the moment. :(
    Last edited by bobclevenger; 01-09-2004 at 09:05 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

How about an option of burning to an ISO image which could be saved to disc and then burned to disc
    this would be no different than burning your mp3's to disk and then using "rip as one" feature in dmc cd audio input and then burn that one file to disk, thus acheiving the gap? of course a cdrw would save on coasters/space too when doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo
    this would be no different than burning your mp3's to disk and then using "rip as one" feature in dmc cd audio input and then burn that one file to disk, thus acheiving the gap? of course a cdrw would save on coasters/space too when doing this.
    A very interesting workaround! Thanks for the idea.

Actually, I don't keep any music in mp3 form except on discs to use in my car. I keep my archives in lossless form (shn at the moment, but I'm thinking of going to flac). So I convert my shn's to mp3's, edit each tag, and then burn to disc (either mp3 or cda). That's why I'm thinking of changing to flac (flac supports tags) because then I can burn my CDRs directly from my flac files.

I'm quite unusual for someone on this board in that I don't use my computer as a music player -- I use my stereo system for that (yeah, I know -- SO old-fashioned!) and I store my music archives on CDRs (I may switch to DVDs) and not on my computer. I only have the music on which I am currently working on my hard drive(s) at any one time. So playlists and such are just extras that are not used by me.
    Anyway, I have digressed enough. Thanks again for the idea!