title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Question on converting MP3's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question on converting MP3's

Hi All,

I have a question on dbpoweramp 15 reference version.
    When I go to highlight say 8 MP3's in an album and I want to have dbpoweramp to auto. convert to 44.1 Hrz and 24 bit instead of 16-bit, how do I have dbpoweramp to auto convert to this format?
    Right now when I manually change from 16-bit to 24-bit it still converts it or stays at the 16-bit.
    Thanks in advance.

Also, regarding the resample and bitdepth...my aim is to see out of these 2 which one(s) can I go higher so a regular home or car cd player will still recognize and play.
    Last edited by Slo912; 10-13-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Administrator

Re: Question on converting MP3's

mp3 does not have a bit depth, it can decode as 16, or 24 bit, it is the decoding program which decides what to decode mp3 as.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    mp3 does not have a bit depth, it can decode as 16, or 24 bit, it is the decoding program which decides what to decode mp3 as.
    Thanks Spoon.

Regarding playing an audio CD and using Nero to burn with...If I use 48Hz and 24bit..Do you know if an ordianry CD Player for the home and a CD player for your car will recognize and play the CD....generally speaking.
    In regards to converting, I right click on an ordinary mp3 file and click on convert to, which is dbpoweramp, of course.
    Thanks in advance.

dBpoweramp Guru

most car and home CD players expect a redbook format CD to play. And that would be 16/44.1 format. (p.s. why convert a 16/44.1 file to 24/48 to begin with. The conversion does NOT add any info to the file that wasn't there already...it just makes the file size larger for no reason.....in other words, conversion does NOT change a CD format file into Hi-Res.)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    .....why convert a 16/44.1 file to 24/48 to begin with. The conversion does NOT add any info to the file that wasn't there already...it just makes the file size larger for no reason.....in other words, conversion does NOT change a CD format file into Hi-Res.
    +1

I think it's a common misconception that things like "adding" bit depth, resampling at a higher rate, or simply converting to a lossless format can upgrade the audio quality of mp3s (or other lossy files). You emphasized the key point lost in this thinking: "The conversion does NOT add any info to the file that wasn't there already....."

To the OP: There is nothing you can do to an mp3....nothing....that restores any of the audio information that was lost when the file was encoded. It is already the highest quality it will ever be, so your best bet is to use it as is. (And it's already almost universally compatible...practically all playback devices will recognize and play mp3 files.) If you really want higher quality, you need to re-rip the original CDs.

If you do decide to re-rip the originals to create higher-quality files, I'd suggest you stay with standard bit/sampling rates. There would be no audible difference with a higher rate, especially in your car, and you'd just end up with much bigger files that are potentially incompatible with some of your playback devices (current or future).