title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Config File

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Config File

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Just to add a data point, mville, in response to your previous question: I've never had an issue using regedit to import/export registry keys. When I've used this method to save or move dBp settings, I copy only the ripping profiles.
    When exporting/importing the profiles key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\ CDRipper\Profiles) there are 2 registry values (per profile) that export OK, but if they contain certain characters (carriage return, line feed, end-of-line etc.) they do not import using regedit:

"WriteTagElements" relates to CDRippper>Options>Meta Data & ID Tag>Options>Write ID Tags
    "PerfectMetaChrReplacement" relates to CDRippper>Options>Meta Data & ID Tag>Options>Character / Word Replacement

All other profile registry values are OK.

Maybe your 2 registry values do not contain carriage return, line feed, end-of-line characters etc. so they import OK.

Bear in mind also, that I can only comment on the results I get on my Windows 7 64-bit PC.
    Last edited by mville; 10-08-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: OS info

dBpoweramp Guru

In 2014, it's beyond archaic that a user has to come to an online forum and try to learn about messing with their Windows registry when they need to move a program (that they paid for, no less) to a new computer.
    Couldn't agree more. When you consider the excellent features on offer with the Illustrate software, there feels like some strange resistance in this area.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    When you consider the excellent features on offer with the Illustrate software, there feels like some strange resistance in this area.
    There really does.....you'd think that just eliminating this area of support, and all the forum time/space it consumes, would be motivation enough.

There really does.....you'd think that just eliminating this area of support, and all the forum time/space it consumes, would be motivation enough.
    Here we are 6 years later....

I am also installing a new PC, and I can't import the settings.
    I exported "illustrate" using regedit.
    On Import, none of the values are created. Just the sub item dBpoweramp

How can i effectively more them over, did anyone ever come up with a solution that worked?

Thanks, Dave

Administrator

Exporting and importing registry items is well documented and supported, unless you have security software limiting to process.

How large was the .reg file you exported?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Exporting and importing registry items is well documented and supported, unless you have security software limiting to process.

How large was the .reg file you exported?
    File size is 32KB
    326 Lines.

Administrator

The data is there, something on your system is stopping it.

I deleted the keys and tried to import again, and nothing is there. The one I was looking at was created by the install.

It says "successfully imported", however I can't find them.

I guess like the OP said years ago, using registry to save and restore settings is a bit odd, given how good everything else is...

I tried again, and it's definitely not working, and the registry editor is actually saying that it successfully imported them.

So unless you can suggest an alternate way, then it seem, like has been mentioned for many years, that there's no proper way to migrate settings, which is a real shame.

registry import.png

dBpoweramp Guru

If you have imported the regfile successfully, then you can drill down to the imported entries in the registry tree. Did you check that?

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    If you have imported the regfile successfully, then you can drill down to the imported entries in the registry tree. Did you check that?

Dat Ei
    That's how I know it's not there

registry view.jpg

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Dave,

this is the place in the registry to look for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate

If you can't find it in the registry after the import, then the reg file isn't ok or the import has failed (security software?).

Did you check the path on your old PC? BTW: which version of dBpa do you use?

Dat Ei

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Dave,

this is the place in the registry to look for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate

If you can't find it in the registry after the import, then the reg file isn't ok or the import has failed (security software?).

Did you check the path on your old PC? BTW: which version of dBpa do you use?

Dat Ei

Dat Ei
    I have R14.4
    If you look in my screenshot in previous post, you can see where I am looking for the key.
    That is the same place that the key is on my old PC.
    I am just going to copy the config over manually step by step.

The reg export/import process is giving no errors.

Thanks for trying to help!

dBpoweramp Guru

Do you use different Windows version on the 2 PCs?

Dat Ei