title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset on Thecus ?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Asset on Thecus ?

Hi there,

since 2 years I'm running Asset upnp on my Windows Server 2008, which works as a Music Server for my Naim NDX streamer. Asset is by far the best solution for a huge amount of files and albums... absolutely no problems, absolutely reliable !

Now I plan to set up a NAS server, and I was looking for 5-bar Thecus NAS with Intel Atom (N5550) . Is there any chance to get Asset for that Thecus ? (should be Linux running on it)

Administrator

Re: Asset on Thecus ?

It is unlikely it would work on that NAS.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that.... and no chance for the future ??

But Asset is running on Qnap TS-269L definately ? That will be my alternate choice...

Administrator

Yes 269 is supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Yes 269 is supported.
    It does, I have the 269L and it works perfectly in combination with my NAIM

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Spoon for all the quick answers !

@pipotheclown
    I'm glad it works that way with Qnap 269, I personally just have had a self made Windows server using a Perc Raid controller. I found Asset to be by far the best upnp server streaming music to my Naim via the house switch.

Can you tell me how long Asset needs for a full rescan / refreshing the library on your Qnap (my library consists of about 30.000 tracks) ?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Spoon for all the quick answers !

@pipotheclown
    I'm glad it works that way with Qnap 269, I personally just have had a self made Windows server using a Perc Raid controller. I found Asset to be by far the best upnp server streaming music to my Naim via the house switch.

Can you tell me how long Asset needs for a full rescan / refreshing the library on your Qnap (my library consists of about 30.000 tracks) ?

@candyman09

Asset UPNP QNAP 269L
    Scanning Library...Track 10000 of 19580
    Version: R4.3; Functionality: Premium Registered

Above took 18 minutes. So times 3 I suppose .The files are all FLAC, 25% is hi-res Total size 803GB. I don't know if it matters but I have 1GB extra RAM installed on the 269L.

Just for the record : I am listening to music on my naim uniti qute2 right now which being streamed from asset running on my thecus n4200ECO - it works just fine
    and I don't see any reason why it should not.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tpflug View Post
    ... which being streamed from asset running on my thecus n4200ECO - it works just fine
    and I don't see any reason why it should not.
    Hey, thats very interesting ! A lot of guys think, that asset could not be run on a Thecus , and Spoon said (see above) that it's "unlikely it would work on that NAS " (Thecus N5550/ Intel Atom).
    So which version of Asset did you use and how did you install it ?

Quote Originally Posted by candyman09 View Post
    Hey, thats very interesting ! A lot of guys think, that asset could not be run on a Thecus , and Spoon said (see above) that it's "unlikely it would work on that NAS " (Thecus N5550/ Intel Atom).
    So which version of Asset did you use and how did you install it ?
    just download the latest debian linux x86 version from http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm and unpack it to somewhere like /raid/data/asset-server. You can then just start the binary in the bin directory.

Note:
    If you run the asset server as root user it will create a directory in the home directory which in that case would be /root/.dBpoweramp and store
    database files there. This however is certainly not what you want because you don't have much space available there. Instead you will want to create
    a symbolic link from there to the place where you unpacked the asset server.

If all of this sounds very cryptic to you then I am sorry to say that this is probably not for you. There is no nice and easy out-of-the-box working
    solution. Simply because there is no official support. You have to ssh in and fiddle with it. There is no autostart or anything like that either ...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks tpflug for your description and your notes about it ! It should be not such a big problem to fiddle around with it ... ;-) I'm gonna try when I set up my new Thecus. Thanks again !

Sorry for ressurecting this topic...
    I was using for long time Asset with manually starting it on Thecus N7710-10G...first creating symlink to database/config folder and then starting binary...
    But often I forgot to start it after power outage

and, of course, I'm not linux user

so...today is big day...after Thecus support failed to help me implement Asset in startup...I figured out how to do it...

so, I will write very cryptic hoping that somebody will not brake NAS trying to follow mine instructions...for automatic startup there must be symlink to .dBpoweramp folder in / and in /root...first is used while binary is executed from startup script, and second is used if you restart or start Asset binary after full boot of NAS OS...don't ask me why...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I opened this thread 5 years ago (!)

So now it's time to re-activate it asking you again if there is any chance to get Asset run on a Thecus NAS system now. (?)

Administrator

I do not think there is, sorry.