title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripper does not "start" external hard drive on networked computer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonM
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2008

Ripper does not "start" external hard drive on networked computer

I have a music server on my home network. I recently replaced the existing server which had my library on an internal hard drive with one that has the library on an external drive. After a period of inactivity the external drive "sleeps". On the server with the external drive, the internal drive with the OS (Windows 7) is an SSD.

My problem is that dBp's CD ripper does not "wake up" the external drive when I try to rip a CD; I have Multi Encoder set up, with two FLAC copies (one to my master archive, one to the networked hard drive) and one MP3 copy (for use on portable devices). The ripper can't apparently see the hard drive on the network when it starts to rip, so aborts the rips and gives error messages to that effect.

However, if I use Windows Explorer to view the hard drive contents, this will wake it up; I can then use the ripper perfectly well. So it can write to this networked drive, but not wake it up. All permissions are appropriately set.

It's just that the ripper does not do whatever is necessary to wake up the hard drive, and it's quite annoying.

Suggestions?

R.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripper does not "start" external hard drive on networked computer

Network drives should be no different than local drives, there are no special commands a program can use to wake a drive. If the drive is unavailable, it is unavailable.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RonM
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2008

Re: Ripper does not "start" external hard drive on networked computer

Originally posted by Spoon
      Network drives should be no different than local drives, there are no special commands a program can use to wake a drive. If the drive is unavailable, it is unavailable.
      The remote drive is unavailable to dBp; it's not unavailable to Windows Explorer. It's not clear what Windows Explorer on my main computer is doing to wake up the remote drive that dBp is not doing.

It may be that I'll just have to go through a routine of querying the drive with Explorer before doing a rip, but would be nice if there was something I (or you) could do to fix this situation.

Comment

Working...

]]>