title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: fdkaac and VBR

fdkaac and VBR

I followed up one of Spoon's old posts about this, but perhaps it's best to have this in a separate thread.

I've gotten libfdk-aac and the fdkaac command compiled and running under OS X (Mavericks). VBR mode (invoked with "-m<QUALITY>" where <QUALITY> is an integer 1-5) works just fine in LC mode. And files produced with "-m5" are typically smaller (but sound as good or better) as files created -b320000 in CBR mode.

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but perhaps an option in the codec UI that would allow the user to type in advanced options (like "-m5" or "-w20000") instead of making new sliders or radio buttons would be easier(?).

In any case, I've not been able to find any information that even suggests fdkaac's VBR mode doesn't not work or has issues. The only example I've found is that "-m5" doesn't work with 96kHz material. The codec crashes. But the codec isn't recommended for sample rates above 48kHz, so I don't think it's a big deal.

I'm still using XLD/Apple Quicktime to make AAC VBR files because dBpoweramp can't (yet, I hope) make AAC files in VBR mode. I purchased dBpoweramp with the hope of moving away from XLD.

Thanks