title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problem with "output location" dynamic path

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbussolo
    • Sep 2014

Problem with "output location" dynamic path

Dear All,

I encountered a problem when setting the output location to dynamic as follows: [artist]\[album]\[artist] - [album] - [title]
    The result that I want should be something as:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dynamic1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	296890

but for some reason I also get this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dynamic2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	296891

Is there a fix? I do not want to have a bunch of folders that have the same names but differ for a few characters? Why is this happening?

Thanks and all the best, M
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Problem with "output location" dynamic path

The issue is the filename is too long and it is getting shortened which is also shortening the folder name.

You can try:

[artist]\[album]\[MAXLENGTH]100,[artist] - [album] - [title][]
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Re: Problem with "output location" dynamic path

Originally posted by mbussolo
      Dear All,

I encountered a problem when setting the output location to dynamic as follows: [artist]\[album]\[artist] - [album] - [title]
      Spoon's suggestion to set a maximum filename length is one workable solution.

I would suggest another: Leave ALBUM and ARTIST out of the filename. I used to do it the way you are now, and like you, I ran into long, unwieldy filenames with classical music. It finally dawned on me that there's really no need to put all that metadata in the filename...it's already embedded in the file, which is located within a folder structure that explicitly identifies both album and artist. And if, for whatever reason, I'm working with the file outside its original folder, the album & artist info are just a right-click (or floating properties box) away.

Ultimately, I decided to rename my entire library this way, essentially just [TRACK] - [TITLE]. It not only completely eliminates the issue you're having, it makes for a much cleaner-looking, easier-to-use filing system. I've never once ran into any kind of problem from not having all that info in the filename itself.

Comment

Working...

]]>