title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dbPoweramp on Linux

dbPoweramp on Linux

Registered user that doesn't keep a copy of windows hanging around but for dbPoweramp. I see some of the toolset starting to emerge on Mac. Are there plans for a Linux compatible toolset?

Administrator

Re: dbPoweramp on Linux

Sadly not, the CD ripping section is 100% different between mac and linux.

At least in Linux Mint 17, dBpoweramp DOES run under WINE. You have to play with the WINE configuration to set your cdrom path to be mapped to a drive letter, and you have to flip around the drive passthrough options in dBpoweramp, but I can confirm that it works.

Hello hogger129, Does DBP edit id tags with a right click on album tracks in linux mint 17? And I am new to linux so if metadata editing will work without windows install I will be happy happy happy. If I have to install windows it will be something to be ashamed of!!! Will you lay out those drive passthrough options for me. Linux newbie is me! Only need it for metadata editing though, otherwise it will be windows all over again. Thanks

P.S. I am in favour of a linux version too!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 for a port of dBPowerAmp to Linux ! I am now an old time customer, and rely on dBPowerAmp for all my ripping and music conversions ; yet, it is now the only software in my whole music listening setup that does not run on Linux !!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

This gets my vote. I can support a Linux version for a very long time but it seems that Windows has a lifespan of something like 5 years before I have to use a new version that is effectively incompatible with the hardware. Sheesh, you'd expect that the robot CD ripping hardware would wear out long before the motherboard/CPU/RAM takes a dive.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Me too. Yes Linux would rock. I only use Windows because I have to . . .

Quote Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
    At least in Linux Mint 17, dBpoweramp DOES run under WINE. You have to play with the WINE configuration to set your cdrom path to be mapped to a drive letter, and you have to flip around the drive passthrough options in dBpoweramp, but I can confirm that it works.
    I can confirm that the latest DBpoweramp runs under wine with Linuxmint 19.2 with all updates applied. The encoding is insanely fast.

+1 request. Given that Windows 11 has been announced and it will require the TPM support leading to new hardware, I am seriously considering that Linux is the future. This is one of the programs that I would follow. The Mac with CD drive is going to be harder to source.

Hi. I had never posted on this forum, but this time I decided to get involved. Particularly starting with this thread. Long time DbPoweramp user right here.
    I'm adding my own vote, it's about time. Seriously guys. I've been let down by Microsoft numerous times with their ridiculously flawed Windows Update implementation. Even went the extra mile and made my way to win11 via tiny11, only to witness it turning into the default Windows 11 over time. Then I decided enough is enough. See, some devs live with this idea that "Oh if we port this to Linux, it's not gonna work out cause our application is paid". What makes you think Linux users have no money? We're just trying to get the most out of our hardware without any company telling us "it's time to buy new stuff" with performance assessments, bloated updates that degrade the user experience and ransomware virus that make you fear for your files, literally. I've never experienced any of that on Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, since 2017 on my computer. I do still use Microsoft Office 2016 AND Crossover to ease my life when it comes to run Windows software on Linux. Paid for them both, actually. The only reason I still run Windows is because I have some files that need to connect to a server in order to open using Javelin v3, which is not available on Linux.

If I am to purchase something, I'd much rather do it on a product that has never disappointed me. Enter dbPoweramp.
    I remember one guy on the forums once said a Mac version would never be a thing. He was proven wrong.
    How about you devs do the same for Linux? I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and support your effort, and by the looks of it, I'm not alone.

It's 2023. Again, about time. Linux support is a must-have.

Howdy Spoon, same HA member (finally) posting here as well.

I'd be a first day buyer on Linux as well.

I'm already a customer. One more vote for a Linux native port.
    Windows 10 is going EOL in 2025 and I have absolutely no plans to move to Windows 11.
    So, because of that reason, if one is to abandon Windows, Linux would be where I would be landing.

I'd ne om for it too. I basically built a seperate machine just for the purpose of ripping. At the moment i am using Windows 11 but since it's older and unsupported hardware i'm not sure how long this will last, since microsoft could render the machine unsuportet/unusable with just another update.

Since i'm in the process of moving on to linux anyway it would be really nice to have the software products i have payed licenses for in native linux versions and i would have no problem paying to convert DBPOweramp from my windows version to a linux version on a future update.

I realize this is an old thread but perhaps if a linux version isn't in the works, a set of working instructions to install it and get it working in Wine.