title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: m4p to mp3

Unregistered

Re: m4p to mp3

Spoon,
    DL'd the codec and played in winamp... it says "Channel Coupling not yet implemented." I'm not sure what that means exactly.

-Matt

Unregistered

What exactly does it mean by "valid playback key" when you run the conversion?

I think it means you have to actually own the AAC file... so if I were to send you a copy of something I purchased or encoded (that was DRM'd) you the program wouldn't be process it into a normal mp4 file. Not sure though.

-Matt

(Oh, and I figured I might as well register

Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: m4p to mp3

Hey guys. I found a way that works, and it uses programs many people might already have. If not it may not be too hard to find other programs that will do the trick.

First, I used Nero's Wave Editor to record "what I hear" while Itunes was playing the m4p. This outputs a WAV. Then, I used Creative Playcenter to convert the WAV to mp3 format. I didn't actually buy either of these programs, since they came with other things. Nero's WAV editor is part of Nero Burning Rom, which came with my cd burner, and Creative Playcenter comes with my Soundblaster Audigy card. It also comes with any Creative mp3 player...and I'm sure if you tried you could find a hacked copy somewhere. Musicmatch used to record "what you hear" off your system and encode direct to mp3, but I'm sure you'd be limited in encoding bitrate without "upgrading" because Musicmatch is dumb like that.

Anyway, good luck.

Unregistered

That's pointless. The correct question is not how to copy the audio, but rather, how to copy the m4p (protected AAC file) audio to an mp3 file without having to lose any (or very little) sound quality and without having to burn a CD. Using an audio card and recording "what you hear" loses quality. Burning a cd wastes a CD-/+R and also does not capture the ID tag that contains the song title, album, bitrate etc (if you have a large m4p library, retyping the tags can be lengthy).

The most effective way to meet both the requirements of maintaining the audio quality and keeping all information tags while converting from m4p to mp3 is using this program/software/application found at: http://pessoal.onda.com.br/rjamorim/stuff/

Download the Mp4 stream processor. Then File the m4p2mp4.exe file directly to your C drive. Next Go to Start Menu, Click on Run and Type "cmd" and press enter. This should give you the DOS prompt (black background).

Then you need type "c:\m4p2mp4.exe c:SONGNAMEHERE.m4p c:\COPYOFSONGNAMEHERE.mp4". This last step will convert your m4p to mp4 (another type of AAC but non-protected).

Lastly, you need to use the dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) (freeware program) found at dbpoweramp.com along with the m4p-to-mp3 codec (also found at the dbpower site. This program will then convert your mp4 to mp3 format which is useable in most of your mp3 players or for your piracy pleasure on Kazaa.

The whole procedure seems lengthy, however, once you have all the software downloaded the total process of converting from m4p-to mp4-to mp3 takes about 1 minute per song.

Some things you may want to keep in mind are that the "pessoal.onda.com" software WILL ONLY CONVERT FROM M4P TO MP4 IF YOU LEGITEMATELY DOWNLOADED the song from itunes (aka if you have THE PROPER PLAYBACK KEY). Why? I don't know (not important). If you did not legitemately obtain the file I would recommend obtaining an mp4 file and then burning that to Mp3 with the dBpowerAMP Music Converter.

Also, the "pessoal.onda.com" software does not appear to convert songs to mp4 if they are too old. Why? I do not know (I wish I did; most of my library was downloaded more than a month ago.) I was attempting to convert about 90 of my songs and noticed that the application only properly converted the songs that I had downloaded MOST RECENTLY, within the past two weeks approximately. Songs that are older are converted to mp4 but are "empty". They only play dead air.

Finally, the "pessoal.onda.com" application will not convert any files if they begin with numbers or have spaces. I would recommended downloading "Tag & Rename" software available from download.com free for a 30 day trial basis. With this software you can rename a batch of files to remove any numbers you may have, and to replace any spaces with underscores (_).

Well, that's the jist of it all. Those are my 2 cents. If anybody found any errors in my scribble, please feel free to reply. Especially if you have solutions or answers to my above questions.

Peace> "Big Ben"

(PS Did you know? 1 out of 3 blacks and 1 out of 6 latinos can expect to be incarcerated for a year or more in their lifetime compared to only 1 in 20 caucasians. --Source:U.S. Dept. of Justice)

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Hey guys. I found a way that works, and it uses programs many people might already have. If not it may not be too hard to find other programs that will do the trick.

First, I used Nero's Wave Editor to record "what I hear" while Itunes was playing the m4p. This outputs a WAV. Then, I used Creative Playcenter to convert the WAV to mp3 format. I didn't actually buy either of these programs, since they came with other things. Nero's WAV editor is part of Nero Burning Rom, which came with my cd burner, and Creative Playcenter comes with my Soundblaster Audigy card. It also comes with any Creative mp3 player...and I'm sure if you tried you could find a hacked copy somewhere. Musicmatch used to record "what you hear" off your system and encode direct to mp3, but I'm sure you'd be limited in encoding bitrate without "upgrading" because Musicmatch is dumb like that.

Anyway, good luck.

Unregistered

Lightbulb Re: m4p to mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoxide
    Some soundcards (I know about the Create SB Audigy and nVidia nForce 2) allow you to specify from where the input comes from...you can change it from microphone to output. Cant you then play it and record it in sound recorder, save it as a wav, then convert to MP3 or whatever?

This way allows "virtually" no qualtiy loss. Better than using cd or patch cord method! But if you dont have one of these cards then I guess you have no other option.

when I try the m4p2mp4 thing I get a windows error report. I can't get it to work....
    help

what error message do you get??

it says "windows has to shut m4p2mp4 down as there was an error, do you want to send a report"
    I just wanna listen to stuff on the computer, my ipod AND my little Rio. this is just a bit frustrating!!!
    :vmad:

Unregistered

I haven't tried this yet, but why not burn the m4p via nero and use a virtual drive? ISO it..

Then rip it from the virtual CD.

Granted, it might not work since most of you burning through Itunes and this is my first experiment with itunes.. Imma try it and i'll let you know if it works. I don't really see why it wouldn't work, though.

Saves you from going through a bazillion steps and not wasting a CD.

-Drakonis

Unregistered

Big Ben has it right. The ISO thing doesn't work, because Nero can't read it to burn it to the ISO. I didn't wanna go through all those steps, but the initial setup only took about 5 minutes and the burn process doesn't take that long (converting it is almost instant, just takes a minute to become an mp3 with the second program). It's defenitely the most effective way and if you're just drinking alot of pepsi and getting free songs now and then like me, its plenty fast and its a sure fire way to grab some songs that you like without fear of gimped mp3 files off kazaa. It's also nice if you're using it like me to get songs that are horribly scratched off your old cd's . Overall it took about 5 minutes to setup and about 3 minutes to turn into an mp3 so I could have it on my mp3 machine. Not too shabby.

Here's big ben's original post:

That's pointless. The correct question is not how to copy the audio, but rather, how to copy the m4p (protected AAC file) audio to an mp3 file without having to lose any (or very little) sound quality and without having to burn a CD. Using an audio card and recording "what you hear" loses quality. Burning a cd wastes a CD-/+R and also does not capture the ID tag that contains the song title, album, bitrate etc (if you have a large m4p library, retyping the tags can be lengthy).

The most effective way to meet both the requirements of maintaining the audio quality and keeping all information tags while converting from m4p to mp3 is using this program/software/application found at: http://pessoal.onda.com.br/rjamorim/stuff/

Download the Mp4 stream processor. Then File the m4p2mp4.exe file directly to your C drive. Next Go to Start Menu, Click on Run and Type "cmd" and press enter. This should give you the DOS prompt (black background).

Then you need type "c:\m4p2mp4.exe c:SONGNAMEHERE.m4p c:\COPYOFSONGNAMEHERE.mp4". This last step will convert your m4p to mp4 (another type of AAC but non-protected).

Lastly, you need to use the dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) (freeware program) found at dbpoweramp.com along with the m4p-to-mp3 codec (also found at the dbpower site. This program will then convert your mp4 to mp3 format which is useable in most of your mp3 players or for your piracy pleasure on Kazaa.

The whole procedure seems lengthy, however, once you have all the software downloaded the total process of converting from m4p-to mp4-to mp3 takes about 1 minute per song.

Some things you may want to keep in mind are that the "pessoal.onda.com" software WILL ONLY CONVERT FROM M4P TO MP4 IF YOU LEGITEMATELY DOWNLOADED the song from itunes (aka if you have THE PROPER PLAYBACK KEY). Why? I don't know (not important). If you did not legitemately obtain the file I would recommend obtaining an mp4 file and then burning that to Mp3 with the dBpowerAMP Music Converter.

Also, the "pessoal.onda.com" software does not appear to convert songs to mp4 if they are too old. Why? I do not know (I wish I did; most of my library was downloaded more than a month ago.) I was attempting to convert about 90 of my songs and noticed that the application only properly converted the songs that I had downloaded MOST RECENTLY, within the past two weeks approximately. Songs that are older are converted to mp4 but are "empty". They only play dead air.

Finally, the "pessoal.onda.com" application will not convert any files if they begin with numbers or have spaces. I would recommended downloading "Tag & Rename" software available from download.com free for a 30 day trial basis. With this software you can rename a batch of files to remove any numbers you may have, and to replace any spaces with underscores (_).

Well, that's the jist of it all. Those are my 2 cents. If anybody found any errors in my scribble, please feel free to reply. Especially if you have solutions or answers to my above questions.

Peace> "Big Ben"

(PS Did you know? 1 out of 3 blacks and 1 out of 6 latinos can expect to be incarcerated for a year or more in their lifetime compared to only 1 in 20 caucasians. --Source:U.S. Dept. of Justice)

Unregistered

I tried your method and it came up with the error about not having the proper playback key. I paid the 99 cents for each song, so I own the AAC file legally. Can you fill me in on this?

- Caroline

Unregistered

Peace> "Big Ben"

Unregistered

Arrow Re: m4p to mp3

Here is simplified, step-by-step instructions of how to convert the Apple iTunes .m4p format to a usable .mp3. For this example we will use an imaginary file called: testsong.m4p

1.) download m4p2mp4.zip from here: http://pessoal.onda.com.br/rjamorim/stuff/

2.) unzip m4p2mp4.exe to C:\

3.) move testsong.m4p to C:\

3.) start -> run -> type: cmd (press enter)

4.) in the window that opens, type: cd \ (enter)

5.) type: m4p2mp4.exe testsong.m4p testsong.mp4 (enter)

6.) close the dos window now, open windows explorer, find the new testsong.mp4 file

7.) use dbPowerAmp to convert the .mp4 to .mp3.

(to do this simply right-click on the file and press "convert to". if this option is not available it means you need to install the .mp4 codec which is available here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm. this also assumes you have dpPowerAmp installed which you can get here: www.dbpoweramp.com)

Enjoy! ...and stick it to the man.

Unregistered

Thanks! That helped me convert the .m4p file into an .mp4 file, but when I tried to download and install the .mp4 codec, it comes up with an error saying "Error whilst running C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\MusicConverter.exe." Which .mp4 codec was I supposed to get, exactly?

- Caroline

Here is simplified, step-by-step instructions of how to convert the Apple iTunes .m4p format to a usable .mp3. For this example we will use an imaginary file called: testsong.m4p

1.) download m4p2mp4.zip from here: http://pessoal.onda.com.br/rjamorim/stuff/

2.) unzip m4p2mp4.exe to C:\

3.) move testsong.m4p to C:\

3.) start -> run -> type: cmd (press enter)

4.) in the window that opens, type: cd \ (enter)

5.) type: m4p2mp4.exe testsong.m4p testsong.mp4 (enter)

6.) close the dos window now, open windows explorer, find the new testsong.mp4 file

7.) use dbPowerAmp to convert the .mp4 to .mp3.

(to do this simply right-click on the file and press "convert to". if this option is not available it means you need to install the .mp4 codec which is available here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm. this also assumes you have dpPowerAmp installed which you can get here: www.dbpoweramp.com)

Enjoy! ...and stick it to the man.