title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Edit Album and Track Titles so Asset Detects the Changes?????

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How to Edit Album and Track Titles so Asset Detects the Changes?????

Spoon,
    '
    As you taught me, many of my album and or track titles are not recognized by Asset as these are too long. So I went into individual album folders and edited the abum and/or track names so as to be adequately short in length. However, Asset does not seem to be detecting these changes.

How can I properly edit/shorten album and track names so that these show and Assset detects these?

Also, if I edit the names, the track names do not change, but I get a pop-up warning in Windows 7 cautioning that if I change the track name information in the track title, thetrack may not work. So how must this be properly done?

Thank you,

Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How to Edit Album and Track Titles so Asset Detects the Changes?????

Please clarify a bit more. I'm not sure about ASSET itself, but in windows, the filename issue would relate to the file and directory NAMES. The track, title, album names that are contained in the tags within the file (that is, the metadata) is a different thing altogether and shouldn't have a length restriction. You are trying to change the FILE NAMES themselves (rather than the metadata tags), correct?

Administrator

You could trigger a manual rescan (detecting changes).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The Windows 7 warning will refer to changing the file extension part of the file name e.g .flac or .wav. If you highlight the full file name including the file extension you will get this warning.

If you use dBpoweramp you can edit the metadata tags before you rip your CDs otherwise you could use mp3tag (it's free) to edit your tags.
    Last edited by sjbabbey; 09-06-2014 at 07:55 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Gary,

If I understand what you wrote, you are exactly correct. I am not properly aware of the meaning of the terms directory NAMES or file extension, per se.

O.K., I do know how to edit prior to ripping a CD. I also know how to edit a tag in the metadata of a previously ripped CD, i.e. a folder in my music storage file.

Gary, here is my issue. I rip a CD using DBpoweramp. I then scan the music using Asset. I then use LINN Kinsky to render an album for playing. If the titles of the tracks and or the Album name are excessive in length,. then these do not appear in LINN Kinsky. For example, say a given album contains 10 tracks and I rip this properly and the album does rip properly, but track nos. 1, 5 and 8 do not appear in Linn Kinsky. If I edit the metadata in DBpoweramp, shortening the track names and then re-rip the CD, then all of the tracks do appear through Asset in Linn Kinsky. However, if I edit the track names, i.e. metadata in the ripped music folder, Asset does not seem to detect my editing and the tracks still do not appear. If I try to edit the individual track names in each respective file, I get the aforementioned Windows warning.

How can I edit the album and/or track names in a ripped music folder so that I can shorten album names and/or track names to enable Asset to detect these and Linn Kinsky to render the music?

Please pardon my ignorance and thank you for your very much appreciated assistance.

Sincerely,

Tom

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon,

I have manually triggered detet changes, refresh all and/or restart on multiple occasions without seeing my changes.

Kindly see my attempt to detail my issues in my above response to CaryM.

Thank you,

Tom

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

sjbabbey,

Thank you. I rip and store all as FLAC. I believe what you wrote is exactly what is happening to me. I tried to detail my problem and desires in my above post to GaryM. I appreciate any education and advice you can offer.

With thanks,

Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

Tom, Let's first establish the length issue and separate title (metadata) from title (file name). You can do some testing to do this, but I think it is the filename length that is likely the problem. But I don't use ASSET or Kinsky so can't be sure about that. Here's an example.

Let's say you have a file with the following name:

c:\users\yourname\music\flac\Pink Floyd\Ummagumma\06 - Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.flac

That might be too long a filename (particularly if your parent directory info is even longer). That might cause a problem for you. But the metadata (the track name you see in dbpa CD ripper or ID TAG update/edit, or mp3tag, could easily have that long of a track title. You can have a metadata track (tag data) of:

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

but you might need to use a file name like:

06 - Several Species of Small Furry Animals.flac

Please do some testing and confirm that it is the WINDOWS file name length that is your problem and not the metadata "track title"

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Gary,

I know that you are correct. How to I actually change the file name once a CD is ripped.....in Windows?

Thank you once again,

Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

go to the file in windows file explorer, right click on file, select rename, then type in your new shorter name. Do you have lots of files to do this to, or only a few? Also, it may be that your problem is the depth of your directory structure. You may just want to simplify this. For example, what is your directory structure? if something like this:

c:\users\myname\documents\mymusic\dbparippedcds\fl acfiles\classical\piano\artist\album\track name/number

then you need to simplify your directory structure and get rid of some of those intervening subdirectories.
    Last edited by garym; 09-06-2014 at 03:52 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Gary,

I thank you and I shall try what you said. I have done this, but somehow I am erring as I keep getting that warning I mentioned/

Yes, I have way too many file names that require changing as I have about 7100 albums, mostly classical music with very long names.

I will experiment for the next few hours and see what happens. I just do not know how to get away from that warning. I must, somehow, be highlighting something wrong.

Thank you,

Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

as spoon noted, make sure you're not trying to edit the file extension (the .flac part of the file name). I suspect that gives you the warning.

dBpoweramp Guru

edit, an easy way to figure out the filename/directory length would be to load all your files up in mp3tag (yes, it handles FLAC too). Install from here:

http://download.mp3tag.de/mp3tagv263setup.exe

In mp3tag, right click on the column headings toward the right, choose customize columns, then create a NEW column. Name it "path length" and in the "value" enter:
    $len(%_path%)

save this, then tick this column to show up. Then when you load up all your files, you can sort on path length column and see the really long ones you have to worry about. Classical is usually the problem as the track title can be very long. I forget what windows maximum path length is, but you can google that.
    edit: looks like 255 or 260 maximum length path including file name.
    Last edited by garym; 09-06-2014 at 04:34 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Gary,

I just tried again with my usual poor results and I am still getting that warning. I went into the storage file, browsed to an album folder, double clicked on the folder to open this and show the track listings, right clicked on the first track name and edited this. When I finished the editing I moved to the next track and the warning that the file change may make the file unusable popped up.

I do not see how to change thw file name properly. I hear what you are sayong, but I do noit know what the flac extension is or how to avoid this.

Thanks again for your help and patience.,

Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

In windows explorer, have you got the options set to "show file extensions" when you see the list of file names? Also, I think it is normal to get a "file may become unuseable" when you change names. It is just warning you that other programs that were using this file may not be able to find it when the name is changed. Experiment. Change one of the file names to shorter. then say ok, even though it warns you. But then you probably need to do a rescan of ASSET or kinskey or whatever so that it picks up the files with their new names. Does this work and does the file that used to not play now play.