title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: QNAP TS421 - Playback stops midtrack

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

QNAP TS421 - Playback stops midtrack

I'm running Asset UPnP on my QNAP TS421 through my Naim NDS streamer. Over the past few days the streamer has stopped playing FLAC/WAV (CD rips) tracks in midstream. The streamer plays the first track or two but then will stop part way through the next track. I logged into the QNAP on my ipad and noticed that the Dashboard would show a stream of between 160 to 190kBs during playback which would fall to single figures between tracks and indeed this also happened immediately before a track stopped part way. I also noticed that the QNAP was scanning the media library in the background although I don't know whether this is significant. I have disabled both the Beta Media Server and Twonky on QNAP. Should I also deactivate the media library or is this used by Asset?

I tried rebooting my whole system i.e. modem/BT HH3/QNAP and NDS. This seemed to work for a while but the problem started up again after a couple of hours.

Any advice/suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Administrator

Re: QNAP TS421 - Playback stops midtrack

Media Library is not used by asset.

Try to eliminate network issues, by wiring the QNAP and Naim in to the same switch. Reboot the switch (router if that is what is used).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: QNAP TS421 - Playback stops midtrack

Problem solved. It was indeed a network issue. The Netgear GS108 gigaswitch I'd upgraded to did not like the 100Mb from the cat5 cable link from upstairs where I keep the QNAP. Unfortunately I can't replace this cable but I put my old Edimax fast Ethernet switch back in and the network link is now rock solid. I did test the QNAP first by putting the server on the same switch as my streamer as you suggested to eliminate any hardware issue in the server and streamer.

Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by sjbabbey; 09-06-2014 at 07:43 AM.