title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: FLAC ID-Tag Problem

Question FLAC ID-Tag Problem

Hi, I have a strange problem.
    Setup: Windows 7 with two user accounts intalled having same rights (administrator).

If User 1 (the one who ripped) logs in and looks at his FLACs, all ID-Tags are present, the file is usable in any music-player. Correct as it should be.
    If User 2 logs in and looks at the very same files, there are no ID-Tags. Though any Music-Player or database doesen't know what artist etc. :vmad:

As far as I know, ID-Tags are stored in the FLAC File, so why is it possible that one user has no problems and the other one does?
    Even if the second User had "read only" rights the ID-Tags aren't supposed to disappear?
    Logging in again as User 1, all tags are present. No data is lost, but why is not accessible for User 2?

Any one a idea what goes wrong? Thank in advance for your answers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: FLAC ID-Tag Problem

What are some examples of players that don't see tags? Do you see tags under both accounts when looking at tags with the dbpa tag editor?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    What are some examples of players that don't see tags? Do you see tags under both accounts when looking at tags with the dbpa tag editor?
    FLAC_TAG.jpg

Left: Logged in as User 1 (all infos displayed)
    Right: Logged in as User 2 (no infos available)

And that's exactly the problem that not both accounts show metadata, but they're supposed to (?).

I use Sonata Server, which is based on JRiver MC as Music-Server/Player, both users have access to that software and should be able to see/play all songs. Because of "missing" metadata, user 2 doesn't have access to many files, because of missing metadata, a given FLAC can not be recognised as containing music of artist XY, therefore it is ignored by the Music Server.
    Last edited by Goodsound; 09-02-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typos

dBpoweramp Guru

Will the file actually play (produce audio) with the server when logged in as the user where the tags are blank?

Edit. And were these files created and tags added by dbpa. Or did you edit/add tags via Jriver program.
    Last edited by garym; 09-02-2014 at 09:01 AM.

I rip within JRiver MC. As far as I know, they use dpbpoweramp as ripping engine. I don't know which program actually writes the metadata, if JRiver or dbpa.
    I usually don't have to edit metadata manually. They are added during the automated ripping process.
    The FLACs without recognised metadata are not played when logged in as User 2. Again to emphasize: These are the same files at the same location.
    Therefore I ask myself (and the Forum), why does User 1 have it right, where User 2 won't see any metadata?

edit: I mean you would agree that all metadata is stored right in the FLAC file (except Album cover).
    So if you copy a FLAC to another location, all metadata goes automatically with it. Only exception to this rule would be Album Cover jpeg. right?
    Last edited by Goodsound; 09-02-2014 at 09:30 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Goodsound View Post
    I rip within JRiver MC. As far as I know, they use dpbpoweramp as ripping engine. I don't know which program actually writes the metadata, if JRiver or dbpa.
    I usually don't have to edit metadata manually. They are added during the automated ripping process.
    The FLACs without recognised metadata are not played when logged in as User 2. Again to emphasize: These are the same files at the same location.
    Therefore I ask myself (and the Forum), why does User 1 have it right, where User 2 won't see any metadata?
    i suspect this this all comes down to a permissions issue with the files. User 2 is not getting permission to play or edit file tags. Also, I've never heard of a Jriver combo with dbpa. I suspect you may be misinformed in thinking that Jriver uses the dbpa ripper.

Hello Garym
    I gave both users administrator rights to avoid a permission conflict.
    After your answer, I consider my system working like this "Sonata Server" is a skin for JRiver MC. Sonata does use dbpa ripper instead of the JRiver one. If I close "Sonata" skin I would rip with JRiver, otherwise with dbpa.
    But you agree that all metadata is stored right in the FLAC file?

edit: I tried another way to open the file and got an error message about (guess what) missing permissions to open the file.
    will have to check why admin rights are not enough... will update when found out more.

edit 2: Even though User 1 gave read/write permission to the "My Music" directory to User 2, there is always an automatic message, that you need the rights to open that file. If you do this manually, you can click on OK and it's fine. But if the Music Server tries to open that file, the program cannot handle that permission message, therefore nothing happens.
    I think, I will move the hole music database from User 1 to an open directory, so both Users have a hassle free access.
    Last edited by Goodsound; 09-02-2014 at 09:58 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes. The metadata tags are embedded directly in the FLAC file.