title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WAV tags not showing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chiwong
    • Aug 2014

WAV tags not showing

Hi,

Not sure whether this has been covered elsewhere before.

I rip wav files using dbPoweramp CD Ripper v14.4.

After retrieving the metadata, I let it rip to the desired destination. This is set as //music/artist/album/tracks.
    Whether it be english or chinese, they work flawlessly and they all go the correct destinations, with the correct names.

However, when I view them on Windows Explorer or in my car's media player, (presumably reading the tags now) only the track name appears correctly for chinese albums - the artist/albums appear with ? for each word. English albums all appear correct.

I just put in a chinese CD and started dbPoweramp CD Ripper, and the metadata is correct (also why it puts them in the correct directory structure).
    If I right-click an english track, metadata is correct for ANY part that includes english. Anything that has chinese - each word appears as a "?".
    This is also true for the car's media player.

Any ideas why this happens? And better still, how to fix this?

I rip to wav for the best sound quality - sorry flac/alac does have differences which I can hear. And I can't be bothered to rip also to flac/alac as that would also waste storage space unnecessarily.

Thanks,
    Chi,
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: WAV tags not showing

It is because the Windows Explorer or car can only read the wave list tags, which are non-unicode.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chiwong
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
      It is because the Windows Explorer or car can only read the wave list tags, which are non-unicode.
      Hi Spoon,

Did you really mean Windows/car_media explorer "can" read the tags? As I mentioned before, only the track name is displayed correctly, the artist/album are wrong.

Not sure if I made it clear - but when I right-click a song in Windows Explorer, I meant right-click-->Edit ID3 tag details.
      The interesting thing is that the window that pops up is titled "dbpoweramp: edit ID3 tag ...." (something along those lines, but specifically mentions dbpoweramp). I can then replace the ??? with the correct chinese words (copy & paste) and save.

Once saved, it then shows properly (artist/album/track) on both Windows Explorer and car media player.
      Why does the edit then make it work when the initial rip (again dbpoweramp) doesn't?

Thanks,
      Chi

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Wave files written by dBpoweramp contain 2 tag types:

WAVE LIST
        id3 chunk

The id3 chunk is the only one which can store unicode, but Windows explorer cannot read that tag.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chiwong
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
          Wave files written by dBpoweramp contain 2 tag types:

WAVE LIST
          id3 chunk

The id3 chunk is the only one which can store unicode, but Windows explorer cannot read that tag.

Hi Spoon Da Man,

It's not making sense here.

If it's reading the WAVE list, then - as it can't store unicode, I shouldn't be able to edit the ID3 tags and save it with unicode (chinese). But I can.

If it's reading the id3 chunk, which Windows (and the car media player) can't read,then no matter how I change the tags, it won't display unicode (chinese). But it does once I edit the ID3 tags.

The thing is that once I perform "Edit ID3 tags" (from within Windows explorer) and save it with the correct chinese artist/album, then Windows Explorer and car media player displays correctly. Now if it's reading the WAVE list as you say, then technically, unicode chinese cannot be stored!

If it's not unicode that's being saved when I edit the ID3 tags, then is there an option to specify this on the original ripping process?

The other thing that corrupts this thought is that the track name is always displayed by Windows Explorer and the car media player, regardless of whether the artist/album have been edited or not -- is this because it's taking it from the file name itself?

Thanks,
          Chi,

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It is likely using the filename.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Njam81
              • Apr 2018

Spoon,

I have a question regarding this thread please.

I started using dBpoweramp CD Ripper just the other day. Now I have used some Japanese characters also in Album and Title fields. I also ripped each CD in Wave, FLAC and mp3. When I use PerfectTUNES ID Tag editor I can see the characters in both mp3 and FLAC but am unable to see them in Wave. They show up as ????? etc. When I open up each of these folders andd file in Windows Explorer I can see the characters just fine.

Are you able to help me on this one also?

With thanks
              Nathan

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Wave list tags cannot hold Unicode (non-English) characters, where as the folder and filename can.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Njam81
                  • Apr 2018

Thank you.

Comment

Working...

]]>