title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: converting 24-bit to 16-bit and also FLAC to AAC/MP3

converting 24-bit to 16-bit and also FLAC to AAC/MP3

A couple of questions.

1) Trying to convert 24-bit flac to 16-bit flac using batch converter.
    Settings ...
    Encoder: Lossless Level 5 (default)
    tick box "After Encoding Verify Written Audio"
    DSP Effects/Actions ...
    Resample frequency="44100"
    Bit Depth depth="16" dither="tpdf"
    Ran conversion, and used Perfect Tunes to check AccurateRip and get message "Cannot Check: Track Different Length Than CD Original". Is that what I should expect.

2) Using Dbpoweramp, I have ripped all CDs to 16-bit FLAC. I have read that it's fine to store in FLAC, but if using any portable device or any player does not play FLAC, convert to AAC/MP3. AAC is said to be better quality than MP3 at same bit rate, in order to check which would be the more sutiable, what are the best conversion settings for both.

Thank you for any help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: converting 24-bit to 16-bit and also FLAC to AAC/MP3

Quote Originally Posted by Rannoch View Post
    1) Trying to convert 24-bit flac to 16-bit flac using batch converter.
    Settings ...
    Encoder: Lossless Level 5 (default)
    tick box "After Encoding Verify Written Audio"
    DSP Effects/Actions ...
    Resample frequency="44100"
    Bit Depth depth="16" dither="tpdf"
    Ran conversion, and used Perfect Tunes to check AccurateRip and get message "Cannot Check: Track Different Length Than CD Original". Is that what I should expect.
    Yes. Converting a 24-bit flac to a 16-bit flac will not give you a bit-perfect file copy of the corresponding track ripped to flac from the 16-bit, 44.1kHz audio CD, which is what is contained in the AccurateRip database.

Quote Originally Posted by Rannoch View Post
    2) Using Dbpoweramp, I have ripped all CDs to 16-bit FLAC. I have read that it's fine to store in FLAC, but if using any portable device or any player does not play FLAC, convert to AAC/MP3. AAC is said to be better quality than MP3 at same bit rate, in order to check which would be the more sutiable, what are the best conversion settings for both.
    I suggest you take a favourite CD, experiment with the settings, converting to both AAC and MP3 and then listen to the results on your portable player.

Re: converting 24-bit to 16-bit and also FLAC to AAC/MP3

Thanks mville for your advice. Much appreciated