title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Understanding Press Offset

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Understanding Press Offset

Hi Spoon & others

I'm ripping through my CD collection to uncompressed FLAC (busy with 'B') and I ran into the following log entry.

Track 2: Ripped LBA 18640 to 39310 (4:35) in 0:12. Filename: D:\Public\Music Rips\Beastie Boys\Licensed to Ill\02 - The New Style, Beastie Boys.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 28) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: 06328741 AccurateRip CRC: CF7BD084 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 013-0015c4af-00d72145-aa0a6e0d-2]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 28 [CRCv2 cf7bd084]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 59 [CRCv1 ff119278]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 100 [CRCv2 c522ec5c], Using Pressing Offset +202
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 166 [CRCv1 ed0984fd], Using Pressing Offset +202

Yes, the rip is accurate so no issues there. However, what is this Pressing Offset and why is the system not applying this as I could get a seemingly much greater confidence level. What am I missing here?

Administrator

Re: Understanding Press Offset

A pressing offset is when a different batch of CDs are made for the store, each time a batch is made, they have a different offset to the first batch.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi

So what does this line then tell me?

AccurateRip Verified Confidence 100 [CRCv2 c522ec5c], Using Pressing Offset +202

I assume I can't set a different Pressing Offset somewhere. So, this just tells me that most CDs of this title are actually of a different pressing?

Administrator

It shows the pressing offset, and AccurateRip verified the data using that pressing offset (CD Ripper internally adjusted the offset to match the pressing).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It shows the pressing offset, and AccurateRip verified the data using that pressing offset (CD Ripper internally adjusted the offset to match the pressing).
    Ok, so what does the log tell me? I think it says that it found 28 matches in the database and therefore my confidence level is that. Or did I actually achieve the highest confidence level of 166 after DBPowerAmp adjusted for the pressing offset? If my first assumption is correct, is there a way to increase the confidence level in this case?

Track 2: Ripped LBA 18640 to 39310 (4:35) in 0:12. Filename: D:\Public\Music Rips\Beastie Boys\Licensed to Ill\02 - The New Style, Beastie Boys.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 28) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: 06328741 AccurateRip CRC: CF7BD084 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 013-0015c4af-00d72145-aa0a6e0d-2]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 28 [CRCv2 cf7bd084]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 59 [CRCv1 ff119278]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 166 [CRCv1 ed0984fd], Using Pressing Offset +202

dBpoweramp Guru

Perhaps you already understand this, but do you realize that the confidence level is simply how many matches are reported in the ACCURATERIP database. Higher is not really "better" unless you are worried about a million-to-one odd vs a billion-to-one odd. Even a confidence of "1" is all one needs (assuming you are not comparing back to your own prior submission to the database). these confidence numbers are telling you that another user, with a different copy of the CD, using a different computer, and different drive, ripped the file and had the came CRC. The odds of you and this unrelated person having the same CRCs by chance (even one other person) has to be in the millions to one. Matching 28 other rips randomly would have to have odds in the trillions to one range!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Gary

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do understand what the numbers mean in sofar that when an Accurate gets reported I made a copy that is as good as indistinguishable from the original, but I am trying to understand the log file better and what it is trying to tell me. If AccurateRip found 28 matches against my CD, why report the other three? Why would they still matter when I can't do anything to increase the confidence (assuming it would even matter)?

dBpoweramp Guru

It's not that they "matter", just full information for the user. Some time ago, AccurateRip started working with different versions of CRCs (v1 and v2) and fully reporting against different pressing offsets (that can differ because CDs produced at different times/different plants). Spoon will have to explain better as I'm not that familiar with the technical details.

Administrator

If you not want these extra checks you can disable pressing offset checking.