title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

bug: inconsistent EBU R128 offsets (VolumeNormalize vs ReplayGain DSP's)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garyd9
    • Jan 2011

bug: inconsistent EBU R128 offsets (VolumeNormalize vs ReplayGain DSP's)

Using the CD ripper (and probably the music converter), there are two different ways RG can be applied. One is to use the ReplyGain DSP. The other is to use Volume Normalize. I've noticed that the two methods apply different volume offsets for RG adjustments.

To test, I have a CD inserted and rip a single track.

For testing "volume normalize", I rip directly to MP3, with the "volume normalize" DSP configured for "EBU R 128" and everything else left to default.

To test the ReplyGain DSP, I rip to FLAC and configure the gain calculation (advanced dialog) to EBU R 128 and leave the "LUFS Target Volume" as the default -18.

I also did a second MP3 rip using ReplayGain in Volume Normalize (just to compare.)

Comparing the resulting tracks, the MP3 that used volume normalize with EBUR128 is much quieter than the other 2 tracks. With the current Foobar version, it's RG scanning wants to add 5db to the MP3 processed with dbPowerAmp's VolumeNormalize EBU setting, but is happy with the other two files.

Digging a bit, and reading the forums, I'm GUESSING that when the default ReplayGain DSP EBU LUFS was changed from -23 to -18, that the LUFS in the VolumeNormalize DSP wasn't changed as well.

Using reference 15.1 x64. (Suggestion: add a way in the CD ripper to see what version it is!)

DSP Effects R11 and ReplayGain R4
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: bug: inconsistent EBU R128 offsets (VolumeNormalize vs ReplayGain DSP's)

This is correct, the volume normalize was not changed.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garyd9
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
      This is correct, the volume normalize was not changed.
      Can it be changed to be consistent with the other DSP (or provide a mechanism to allow changing it to be -18?)

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It can be done, select EBU R128 and in desired volume type:

+5dB
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garyd9
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
          It can be done, select EBU R128 and in desired volume type:
          Ah, okay... NOT using the slider which appears to control that box (as it maxes out at +0 then.) That appears (er.. sounds) to work.

thank you
          Gary

Comment

Working...

]]>