title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Power that can be drawn from RipNAS USB sockets?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Power that can be drawn from RipNAS USB sockets?

How much current can be drawn from the three USB sockets on the rear of the RipNAS? And are there any limits to which ways the current can be drawn eg. if it's (say) 200mA from each port, can I draw 600mA from just one port if I don't draw any current from the other two? Are there any problems with peaks for initial spin up currents? I'm using the external 12V PSU that came with the RipNAS.

I may be wanting to attach USB powered 2.5" external hard discs to the RipNAS for backup purposes. Hence my question.

Administrator

Re: Power that can be drawn from RipNAS USB sockets?

Power should not be drawn from the ripnas, it advises in the manual not to draw any power.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Power should not be drawn from the ripnas, it advises in the manual not to draw any power.
    If that's true then it means RipNAS is not USB compliant. I can't remember what it is but there's an amount of power you're supposed to be able to draw from all USB sockets and then software negotiates for more. Zero is not USB compliant, and I'm disappointed if that's the case.

I have been given two 2TB Western Digital My Passport 2.5" portable drives that I want to use for backups, but they expect USB power. I don't want to use a USB hub to power them because USB 2 is slow enough already (the drives are USB 3), adding a hub will make it even slower.

I am not happy about this.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well looking back at the internals photographs I took when I swapped the data hard disc, the RipNAS contains an Intel motherboard. So I suspect what I need is the specs for the motherboard from Intel, since that is what matters. I can even see the fuses for the USB power, so I don't know why you claim it can't provide any.

Administrator

The motherboard is capable, but the PSU in the ripnas which is 1/50th the size of a normal computer psu is not able to handle the extra draw.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The motherboard is capable, but the PSU in the ripnas which is 1/50th the size of a normal computer psu is not able to handle the extra draw.
    Thankyou, that is a much more sensible reply and makes sense technically.