title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Noob Issue: Fixing (and Preventing) Erroneous Metadata

Noob Issue: Fixing (and Preventing) Erroneous Metadata

Hi guys. Longtime dbpoweramp user, brand-new batch ripper user (with Nimbie NB21). One of the first discs I ripped was a CD single. I know from using the CD ripper extensively that this happens frequently with CD singles and somewhat often with compilation discs.

What is the easiest way to correct erroneous metadata after the disc is ripped? Also, what's the best way to get a higher percentage of correct lookups? I also have a fair number of obscure titles (mostly religious genre, but some obscure international artists as well), so what strategy should I use for getting highest odds of correct lookups for those discs, and what is the easiest way to add the track information if batch ripper rips it without a lookup match (I'm assuming it will do this rather than reject the disc). Right now I'm only using the free lookup provider in batch ripper. I've ripped about 25 of my 1100 CDs, so if I can implement a solid plan for these events now that would be immensely helpful.

Thanks for your advice!

HC

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Noob Issue: Fixing (and Preventing) Erroneous Metadata

dbpa - EDIT ID TAG (right click on album with bad metadata, then select EDIT ID TAG, then make your changes). Or use mp3tag to do the same thing.

bad lookups...hard to avoid. the databases out there are filled with data from users (most CDs do *not* contain the metadata directly for reading). So you're at the mercy of what other users have entered and submitted to the various databases. The more obscure the CD (and also most classical CDs) the more likely the lookup is wrong. Even on things that are mostly right, I find that 80% of my CD rips require me to tinker a bit with the metadata to get it right (to suit me....e.g., genre, actual artist name vs album artist name, etc.).

Administrator

Re: Noob Issue: Fixing (and Preventing) Erroneous Metadata

There is also the Review Metadata button in CD Ripper which can give different choices for metadata if it is wrong.