title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Reboot after install

Angry Reboot after install

Overall, this is a great product, and I use it loads cos I like my files at 192, but I have a question:
    Which one of the developers thought it was a good idea to make my PC reboot after installation of the latest version?

No warning, no asking if I wanted to do it or not, just "machine will reboot in 30 seconds." As if that wasn't bad enough, it took an absolute age to log back on, as it made an attempt to restart all of my programs.

Please rectify this situation as soon as possible, as I had loads of stuff open, some of which was unsaved and was lost.

Thanks!
    Yours, somewhat upset, Woodster
    Last edited by morebasheder; 07-05-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Re: Reboot after install

It's likely for the DLL for the Shell Extensions.

Some script commands to complete uninstall only run when computer is restarted. (Delete DLL tied in to Explorer)

I could see some way where the install could simply restart Explorer without user log-out, then delete the DLL. Open Folders will be closed and possibly some taskbar notifications for some programs may disappear for a while, but it's a possible option instead of rebooting.
    I simply logged-off and re-logged in to accomplish this once without rebooting, and it worked.

There may be other items to contend with other than the Shell Extensions.

These are observations and ideas, as I did not program the installation, only a user.

Administrator

That is correct, the shell extensions are always being used by Windows explorer, only a reboot can update.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So now we know why, but this fails to address the real concern: forcing an immediate reboot without a chance to do anything about it.

This has come up before, and others have complained about it bitterly. Sure, we need to reboot. No problem. Tell the user. But put up a button to allow them to cancel the auto-reboot and do it themselves later (when they have saved everything properly; losing customer data is very bad). And 30 seconds isn't enough time. If you insist on auto-rebooting, make sure the user has plenty of time (like 5 minutes or more). But I think making the reboot manual is the best bet. Put up two buttons: "Reboot Now" and "I'll Reboot Later".

Thanks,
    Mike

Administrator

R15.1 should not have this issue. R15 did have this issue.