title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping to MP3 vs Converting from FLAC to MP3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuturePhantasy
    • Jun 2014

Ripping to MP3 vs Converting from FLAC to MP3

Hi I am still new to dbpoweramp but lately I have been ripping to FLAC and then using the batch converter to convert to MP3 but I heard that converting from FLAC to MP3 deteriorates the sound quality, is that true?. So what is better ripping to MP3 or converting to MP3? I still want to rip to both FLAC and MP3 files, FLAC is for my FooBar2000 and MP3 for my iPod devices. I heard there is multi encoding but how does that work? Can you tell how to do that? Should I do separate rips for FLAC and MP3 or use multi encoding for both? I have yet to rip my entire collection so I am hoping to do that.
    I appreciate anyone answering my questions as I am still a newbie.

Thanks
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Ripping to MP3 vs Converting from FLAC to MP3

Hey FuturePhantasy,

FLAC is a lossless codec, that means, that it is as good as the original CD (wave format). FLAC has some Advantages over wave, like the lossless compression (smaller files) and the possibility to store meta data (ID3 tags).

So it's best to rip the collection into FLAC and to use this as an Archive and a base to convert to different codexs like mp3.

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by FuturePhantasy
      Hi I am still new to dbpoweramp but lately I have been ripping to FLAC and then using the batch converter to convert to MP3 but I heard that converting from FLAC to MP3 deteriorates the sound quality, is that true?.
      Thanks
      not only not true but shows a complete lack of basic understanding of how things work. Yes, rip to flac and make sure tags and artwork is how you want them. Them convert to mp3 or any other lossy format. Multi encoder is something you setup within dbpa. There are no advantages in using it vs separate conversion in terms of quality of the mp3 file. I don't use because I typically tinker a bit with tags etc before converting to mp3 (which I can easily do in a large batch anyway).

you use foobar2000 so you probably know of the forums at hydrogenaud.io
      these are good sources of valid info on digital music. (Unlike the wacko info you received somewhere on converting vs ripping to mp3. There's a lot of audiophool crap on the Internet and in audiophile magazines.

Comment

• FuturePhantasy
        • Jun 2014

Thanks for your answers, looks like I will just continue to rip to FLAC and then convert to MP3 from there. Good responses, I guess I am on the right track. I will definitely keep coming here and probably to that hydrogenaud forum as I am interested in getting to learn and know more about how these things work and so on. I want to be a audiophile and possibly get into music producer some day.

Off topic - Do some of you rip music from cassette tapes and/or vinyls? Do you collect cassettes and vinyls? I only collect CD's, so how does ripping from CD's compare to ripping from cassette tapes and from vinyls? Sorry for asking about that as this place is about CD ripping.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by FuturePhantasy
          Thanks for your answers, looks like I will just continue to rip to FLAC and then convert to MP3 from there. Good responses, I guess I am on the right track. I will definitely keep coming here and probably to that hydrogenaud forum as I am interested in getting to learn and know more about how these things work and so on. I want to be a audiophile and possibly get into music producer some day.

Off topic - Do some of you rip music from cassette tapes and/or vinyls? Do you collect cassettes and vinyls? I only collect CD's, so how does ripping from CD's compare to ripping from cassette tapes and from vinyls? Sorry for asking about that as this place is about CD ripping.
          Yes, I've created digital files from from cassette and vinyl. A few differences: first, these are not bit perfect digital copies of course. One has to play the original medium and then "record" in real time the playback stream with a digital recorder (lots of options here). It's an entirely different (and longer) process. Google "converting LP to digital". Here's a start:

Comment

• FuturePhantasy
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by garym
            Yes, I've created digital files from from cassette and vinyl. A few differences: first, these are not bit perfect digital copies of course. One has to play the original medium and then "record" in real time the playback stream with a digital recorder (lots of options here). It's an entirely different (and longer) process. Google "converting LP to digital". Here's a start:

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/ind...howtopic=23196
            Interesting, yeah it does seem like it would be a longer process and time consuming. Thanks for the response.

Comment

• FuturePhantasy
              • Jun 2014

Interesting, yeah it does seem like it would take longer and be a time consuming process. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Working...

]]>