title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch Converter with same folders structure

Batch Converter with same folders structure

Hello,

I tried to batch convert my FLAC files (10K+) to mp3 but looks like it doesn't copy the folder structure of my FLACs, just convert ALL files to the folder I selected.

The "key" item on batch converter is grayed out so I cannot change anything as proposed in the "?" help section for converting folders.

Now, 2 possibilities I think.

1- I am a paying registrated customer with Reference 14.4. Is 14.4 able to batch convert to mp3 with the same folders structure of the original FLACs?

2- I need to get dBpoweramp 15...

2.1: My memory is probably at fault here but I thought buying a copy of dBpoweramp was a one time deal for always. Yet when I tried to update to 15, looks like I have to pay for It... Again, I could be wrong and do have to pay for a newest version...

Bottom line, I need to convert my FLAC files to mp3 with the same folders structure. What do I need to do to get there?

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Batch Converter with same folders structure

Quote Originally Posted by dummy View Post
    Hello,

I tried to batch convert my FLAC files (10K+) to mp3 but looks like it doesn't copy the folder structure of my FLACs, just convert ALL files to the folder I selected.

The "key" item on batch converter is grayed out so I cannot change anything as proposed in the "?" help section for converting folders.

Now, 2 possibilities I think.

1- I am a paying registrated customer with Reference 14.4. Is 14.4 able to batch convert to mp3 with the same folders structure of the original FLACs?

2- I need to get dBpoweramp 15...

2.1: My memory is probably at fault here but I thought buying a copy of dBpoweramp was a one time deal for always. Yet when I tried to update to 15, looks like I have to pay for It... Again, I could be wrong and do have to pay for a newest version...

Bottom line, I need to convert my FLAC files to mp3 with the same folders structure. What do I need to do to get there?

Thanks!
    14.4 will do what you want. You need to use the dynamic naming function when converting. Set the folder to something different (e.g., c:\mp3files) and then set the dynamic naming as likely something like the following in the "set" area of the dynamic naming row:

[trimfirstfolder][origpath][origfilename][]

depending on how many levels deep your music subdirectories are, you may need multiple [trimfirstfolder] commands. For each you use, you need [] a the end. For example, you may need:

[trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][origpath][origfilename][][]

Thanks a lot garym!

Silly me, I truly didn't saw the dynamic naming... I should have get it since It is exactly the same process as with the ripper! All is done and working now.

Thanks mister!

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    14.4 will do what you want. You need to use the dynamic naming function when converting. Set the folder to something different (e.g., c:\mp3files) and then set the dynamic naming as likely something like the following in the "set" area of the dynamic naming row:

depending on how many levels deep your music subdirectories are, you may need multiple [trimfirstfolder] commands. For each you use, you need [] a the end. For example, you may need:

[trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][origpath][origfilename][][]
    I want to batch convert a wav library located on an external USB drive to flac. I assume that the fastest way would probably be to write the output to my internal HDD and afterward copy the result back to the USB drive. However, I can't figure out how to convert and end up with the same file structure as on the USB drive.

The file structure on the USB drive is AudioLibrary/AlbumFolder/TrackFiles. How do I convert everything to flac and end up with this same structure? For input I have checked AudioLibrary on the USB drive with the "Convert Folders and Subfolders" option. From your reply to the previous poster, I gather that I have to use the Dynamic naming function. I have created an output folder C:\AudioLibrary on my HDD. What do I have to enter in "Set" to achieve the result I want.

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I want to batch convert a wav library located on an external USB drive to flac. I assume that the fastest way would probably be to write the output to my internal HDD and afterward copy the result back to the USB drive. However, I can't figure out how to convert and end up with the same file structure as on the USB drive.

The file structure on the USB drive is AudioLibrary/AlbumFolder/TrackFiles. How do I convert everything to flac and end up with this same structure? For input I have checked AudioLibrary on the USB drive with the "Convert Folders and Subfolders" option. From your reply to the previous poster, I gather that I have to use the Dynamic naming function. I have created an output folder C:\AudioLibrary on my HDD. What do I have to enter in "Set" to achieve the result I want.

Thanks.
    if the USB is, say, E:\AudioLibary/AlbumFolder/Trackfiles

Then set up the dynamic naming, with the directory as C:\AudioLibrary
    Then in SET, use

(note the "[]" at the end). I believe this will do it, but best to just try with a single directory as a test and see if the result ends up in the right place on your C: drive. If not, experiment with the number of [trimfirstfolder] commands you need (or if you need any). Trial and error is how I typically nail down my SET commands. Once working, I can do it all as one giant batch.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    if the USB is, say, E:\AudioLibary/AlbumFolder/Trackfiles

Then set up the dynamic naming, with the directory as C:\AudioLibrary
    Then in SET, use

(note the "[]" at the end). I believe this will do it, but best to just try with a single directory as a test and see if the result ends up in the right place on your C: drive. If not, experiment with the number of [trimfirstfolder] commands you need (or if you need any). Trial and error is how I typically nail down my SET commands. Once working, I can do it all as one giant batch.
    Thank you for the reply. However, I previously tried using the [trimfirstfolder] option for some reason I couldn't get anything to work. I found another forum thread and followed the suggestion I found there, which seems to work. Ultimately, I simply directed the output to C:\ and entered [originalpath]\[originalfilename] in 'Set'. dBpoweramp Batch Converter created a C:\AudioLibrary folder and appears to be creating individual folders for each album and storing the converted tracks within them.

I honestly can't say that I understand what is going on but, as it seems to be accomplishing the desired task, I am not about to question it.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 09-08-2014 at 08:56 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Thank you for the reply. However, I previously tried using the [trimfirstfolder] option for some reason I couldn't get anything to work. I found another forum thread and followed the suggestion I found there, which seems to work. Ultimately, I simply directed the output to C:\ and entered [originalpath]\[originalfilename] in 'Set'. dBpoweramp Batch Converter created a C:\AudioLibrary folder and appears to be creating individual folders for each album and storing the converted tracks within them.

I honestly can't say that I understand what is going on but, as it seems to be accomplishing the desired task, I am not about to question it.
    yep, that's why I mentioned trial and error as the best approach. Glad it's working.