title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

album art and negative compression

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stealth187
    • Jun 2014

album art and negative compression

I reconverted some files from flac to flac with no compression and then i noticed negative compression on some albums so thought i messed up my files and re-ripped a couple of affected albums then found out that after adding album art the compression is then negative (it makes sense because the file is bigger than the rip) but audio properties inside the properties dialogue says negative compression while listing original file size and current file size the same, whereas the tooltip when you hover over a file says 0% compression.
    I am unsure if this is intended behaviour and wanted to check because i am way too obsessive over my music files (thats why i use dbpoweramp :D) i would have thought the compression ratio would be calculated without metadata or something.

I am guessing that as long as acuraterip likes the files it doesnt matter what the compression ratio says but wanted to clarify that my files are still good because i have converted them a few times flac to flac before i worked out how to add replaygain without conversion.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: album art and negative compression

It is just a rounding error on display, it is nothing to worry about and something R15.1 will fix.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Stealth187
      • Jun 2014

thanks, i have another question which is more related to perfecttunes but wasnt sure if it was worth another starting another thread for,

i have a small collection of downloaded (bought) "flac" albums from bandcamp etc and perfect tunes cannot check them because they either dont match track lengths or arent lossless cd quality, (one of my ripped cd's is also in that category but that is accurate with high confidence)

is it possible perfecttunes cant check them because of popularity or are they definately not lossless eg converted from mp3? (all the md5sums match from the download)

its a bit confusing though because i just looked at the tooltips on some of them and it says perfect lossless.

thanks for your time.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If they are not sourced from CD then the will have lengths which indicate they could not have come from CD, so AccurateRip cannot verify as it is CD based only. The ones which it says are not lossless cd quality, perhaps they are 24 bit?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Any downloads I have from bandcamp.com (or other stores) that are 24/96 or 24/192 report as "not lossless CD quality" (which is correct, as these are not redbook CD, i.e., 16/44.1).

Comment

• Stealth187
            • Jun 2014

the ones i looked at all said 16bit / 44.1 (CD) inside the tooltip when you hover over them, i will probably just ignore them because thats the trouble with downloads you just dont know what has been done to the file lol but the few albums i have like that are stuff that isnt available anywhere else anyway.

thanks for the information anyway.

Comment

Working...

]]>