title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rip each CD to individuallly named folder?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M2P
    • Sep 2012

Rip each CD to individuallly named folder?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times in the past yet my cursory search failed to find an answer.

So in the past I have ripped 2k albums and I'm now having to collate into individual folders which is massively time consuming.

So is it possible to rip to the path, say dbpoweramp rips> then to a folder named for the particular CD such as {Folder=Artist/Album} [artist] - [title] ([album])

TIA
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Rip each CD to individuallly named folder?

Set naming as:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[artist] - [title] ([album])
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• M2P
      • Sep 2012

Thank you very much Spoon.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by M2P
        So in the past I have ripped 2k albums and I'm now having to collate into individual folders which is massively time consuming.
        You can use the dBp "Arrange Audio" function to automate this task....there's no need to manually rearrange all those files and folders.

Comment

• M2P
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
          You can use the dBp "Arrange Audio" function to automate this task....there's no need to manually rearrange all those files and folders.
          Mate, I can't believe it is so simple. I have barely got through a couple of hundred albums with more than 2k to go. I was drading the rest.

Thank you very much for that piece of advice.

Regards,

Dale

Comment

• M2P
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
            Thank you very much for this tip. You've saved me a great deal of time and frustration.

Although it has made me consider another issues I've had over time.

Now and again, I've let the tagging slip and have for instance, blink182 and Blink182 on some tags. Also, another example is, artist-album[Bonus CD-ROM Track].

Is there a way of correcting all these without doing each individually?

TIA

Comment

• BrodyBoy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2011

Hey Spoon, just a heads up:

I got a PM from the OP that he hasn't been able to make any follow-up posts to this thread. I have no idea what causes that, but maybe you could offer him some insight or help.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by M2P
                Thank you very much for this tip. You've saved me a great deal of time and frustration.

Although it has made me consider another issues I've had over time.

Now and again, I've let the tagging slip and have for instance, blink182 and Blink182 on some tags. Also, another example is, artist-album[Bonus CD-ROM Track].

Is there a way of correcting all these without doing each individually?

TIA
                You're very welcome, and I'm glad you're able to post on your own thread again!

As for those kinds of annoying tag discrepancies? First, know that the online databases will always be sneaking some of that into your library, so this isn't a "fix it once" kind of thing....it'll be an ongoing effort. To keep these errors from accumulating in your library, develop a ripping workflow that includes tag review (and editing, when necessary). This ensures accuracy for any new content going forward. (I almost think of my music library.....the one I access with my network players, rip car CDs from, etc...like a "clean room." Nothing goes in there until I've made sure the rip and the tags are perfect. I rip to a "holding area" first, do the clean up, check the album art, save an archive copy, etc, and only then do I move the new folder into my library.)

There's no way to automatically fix the existing errors. There are, however, more efficient solutions than manually editing one album at a time (in dbP or Win Explorer context menus) and hoping that you're being consistent. The best approach is using a dedicated tag editor, like mp3tag. It's a very powerful program, especially when you dig into some of its more sophisticated functions. Using it for basic clean-up & editing is fast, easy, and intuitive. I've used it for years and highly recommend it.

Using your example, you could drag all Blink82 folders into mp3tag's main window, select all, enter the correct ARTIST, and save. That's it....they'd all have the proper artist name. This is also a handy way to set a consistent GENRE, ALBUMARTIST (or any other tag you want) across a whole set of albums. I'd suggest you just install it (it's free) and play around with it.....that's probably the fastest way to learn its basic features & functions. Then, I think you'll find you can fix the existing errors in your library relatively quickly, and develop a workflow that nips new ones in the bud.

Note that it makes sense to fix the tags (at least ARTIST and/or ALBUMARTIST) before you use Arrange Audio to move things around.

(PS: I didn't quite understand your 2nd example, so I couldn't offer a similar "quick fix" for that one.)
                Last edited by BrodyBoy; 06-14-2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• M2P
                  • Sep 2012

Thanks. I'll have a go next week end at it. There aren't too many. They are usually the result of sitting for hours watching two boxes ripping etc. and boredom setting in

The other example wasn't clear so here's an actual example > Extreme - Waiting for the Punchline [Bonus Track], the "Waiting for the Punchline [Bonus Track]" in every file name (I don't mind the album name, just the [Bonus Track] on every song.

I managed to sort 2.2K out over the weekend so the ends in sight.

Thanks and regards,

Dale

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by M2P
                    I managed to sort 2.2K out over the weekend so the ends in sight.
                    Nice!

The other example wasn't clear so here's an actual example > Extreme - Waiting for the Punchline [Bonus Track], the "Waiting for the Punchline [Bonus Track]" in every file name (I don't mind the album name, just the [Bonus Track] on every song.
                    Ah, ok..... Yes, you can fix those kinds of "appended" song titles in mp3tag. It's a slightly more sophisticated action than changing ARTIST names, but once you get how to make those kinds of changes, it's a powerful tool.

There are a bunch of built-in functions called "Quick Actions." You select the relevant files, start the action and set its parameters (this will become fairly self-explanatory when you're actually in there using it), and then it applies its particular tag processing to those files. The one you'd want here is Replace.....you'd enter the part of the tag you don't want (i.e., [Bonus Track] in this case), then leave the "Replace with:" option blank. Running the action will remove that string of text from all selected files.

It'd be much easier if I could just show you a screenshot or two (and right now, I'm on a Boot Camp MAC laptop and I don't know how to do a printscreen on this thing! :o!) So when you get around to working on this, come back if you have any specific questions.
                    Last edited by BrodyBoy; 06-16-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>