title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Blu-Ray audio disc support

Blu-Ray audio disc support

I just saw a thread that asked this question back in October 2013.

It is now June 2014 so I would like to ask again, is support for Blu-Ray audio discs planned at all? If so, anytime soon or is it undecided yet?

Administrator

Re: Blu-Ray audio disc support

It is not planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is not planned.
    May I ask why?

I can totally understand if no answer can be provided/discussed.

Administrator

It is pretty much a dead format, it never took off.

Out of curiosity I searched Amazon.com for Blu-Ray audio and found a total of 270 entries. Only 5 titles have been released this year so far. A format on track to deliver less than a dozen titles/year seems, if not dead, at the best listless.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have just visited a High End Fair in Munich two weeks ago. High Resolution Audio has been one of the central subjects - to my own surprise. After the disaster with DVD Audio and SACD I have the impression, that the new high res media will be downloadable files (like here i.e.).

Dat Ei

I bought one of these discs last year because I was curious - it was encrypted so extracting the content (eventually high-resolution flac files) was not particularly challenging but contravenes U.S. law . I suspect this is enough to dissuade the spoon man from building content ripping and metadata plumbing around this format.IMHO these should have come out long ago to gain traction.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

DVD Audio Extractor works great on dvd-a and blu-ray. :smile2:

Quote Originally Posted by thexfile View Post
    DVD Audio Extractor works great on dvd-a and blu-ray. :smile2:
    It does, but it's not free. You only get a 21-day? trial.

I was mainly asking due to the fact that I went to my local music store and saw 4-5 blu-ray audio discs on sale.

The price was what mainly scared me away. However, I did notice that the titles available were also listed in HDTracks.

I took my phone and went straight to hdtracks to compare the sample rates and sample depth. They were the exact same thing. The only difference was one was digital and was 50% cheaper (I used Bob Marley & Led Zeppelin discs for this comparison)

For a moment I thought I made a huge mistake by not buying the disc editions of the albums, but I then realized that they were the exact same material and I was also saving time by not having to rip the disc and risking not getting a fully secure rip.

Im sticking to digital for hi-res files. No ripping process (time & space saved), chances of getting a bad disc are gone & almost 50% cheaper than buying the disc edition.