title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Compatability with Wine & Linux?

Compatability with Wine & Linux?

This may have been discussed previously, but I'll ask just in case there have been some recent developments/changes. I'm trying to convert from XP to Linux Mint and am reviewing various software options/alternatives - including dbPowerAmp running under Wine.

My initial research seems to show that dbPowerAmp will not work in Linux. FYI I installed dbPoweramp in Linux and that main problem was that it did not recognize my CD drive (although this may be a Wine issue rather than a dbPowerAmp issue). Acc to online documentation dbPowerAmp currently does not work with Linux.

If this is incorrect I'd love to know what you need to do to make it work. AFAIK there seems to be a Linux development effort in the works, so that may be a better long term approach.

Is there anyone on these boards who can provide some up to date status re Linux and dbPowerAmp.

TIA,
    Patrick

Administrator

Re: Compatability with Wine & Linux?

People have had it working in the past under wine, however I think in later versions they removed the direct scsi access to CD drives, it is now emulated which cannot support direct CD ripping.

You might want to try setting the CD Ripper >> Options >> Communication: to Windows Built-in

[Solved] - Re: Compatability with Wine & Linux?

OP here posting back in case others run into this problem.

FWIW this is primarily a Linux/Wine issue, rather than a dbPowerAmp one. That said I'm posting a solution which I found on other forums (ArchLinux) - basically the issue is that Wine does not correctly find attached cd devices without some additional help. I followed the recipe below and have successfully ripped a few CD's already using Linux, Wine & dbPowerAmp - Here's the solution - which requires making some minor changes in the /etc/fstab file, then running Wine Config to link the CD drive to the'/media/cd' device:

>>>>
    Anyway, I've solved this part.
    The solution was given to me by leniviy on WineHQ Forums. As he suggested, I've added an entry in fstab...

/dev/cdrom /media/cd auto ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /media/cd1 auto ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0

and created cd and cd1 directories in /media. Voila, WINE now sees the optical drive when I insert it (it still needs to be mounted, but I'm currently doing this with udiskie).

>>>>

Hope this helps someone else out there.