title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Artist "cover art"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timster67
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2014

Artist "cover art"

I have noticed a peculiarity with Asset on Windows 7, with regard to the image it uses for an artist as opposed to an album. I am using Linn Kinsky for my Sneaky DSM. Don't know if it's relevant to the OS or renderer but I suspect not.

What happens is, if Asset finds an artist who is only found within a compilation (ie "Various Artists" is the album artist, "Fred" is the track artist), then when Kinsky lists Artists->Fred, it displays the album art for the compilation. Fair dos as it has no other info. But if later I import an album by Fred, it still uses the old compilation album artwork. I have tried removing the compilations from my library, restarting Asset, and seeing what happens. Before re-introducing the compilations, all artists appear with their own artwork as expected. After I re-introduce the compilations however, some get the compilation artwork instead - and it seems random as to which ones as it doesn't happen to all of them. It's annoying when listing artists and finding the image used for Fred is a compilation album!

There doesn't seem to be a way of changing the artwork to use for an artist - other than manually changing the artwork for each artist's track in a compilation for whom an album also exists in the library. Tedious and long winded - and won't work for the first track on a compilation as this will change the artwork for all artists on the compilation! (Fix is to rename the file so it isn't first - I am presuming Asset uses the first track ID-tag to get the album (and hence artist) artwork?)

Is there any way for Asset to give an option to change the artwork for a given artist? Or even read a "folder.jpg" in the artist's parent folder that it can use for that artist, instead if of a track/album image?

Any suggestions/fixes will be appreciated
    Tim
  • timster67
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2014

Re: Artist "cover art"

Addendum

Contributing artists - these always appear with the generic folder icon if they aren't found as lead artists anywhere else. Can this be changed to show the album art of the track(s) they have contributed to? Would be preferable if possible. Ta

Comment

• simes_pep
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Dec 2013

Good comment - I ended up applying individual artwork to the Artist in the various Compilation Albums, so that Asset displayed an Artist related artwork in Albums/Album Artist 'upstream' instead of the Artwork for the Compilation album.
      It took a while!
      I am using Asset on the Raspberry Pi.
      So maybe there could be a configuration option for the upstream artwork association, rather than 1st track 'seen', particularly when the directory structure is;
      Artist -> Album (which includes the Album artwork as folder.jpg & embedded in each FLAC track)

So could Asset look at the 'Artist' folder level for a image file to use as the upstream artwork?
      This way you could have a picture of the artist rather than the artwork for a particular Album or Single.
      Just an enhancement suggestion to a great product, rather than a criticism!

Simon

Comment

• simes_pep
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2013

Or a configuration option to allow us to edit the Upstream artwork database & upload replacement of the artwork by artist/album for the upstream presentation.
        This database table would need to be persistent over a rescan-all command.

Again just suggestions as enhancements to the product to improve its usability & differentiation over other similar products!

Simon

Comment

• timster67
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2014

Hi simon

Precisely what I thought as a solution, and yes it's a great product. Can't really fault it other than this minor niggle. You're a bit over techy though - "upstream"?
          Tim

Comment

• timster67
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • May 2014

Even more techy! :blush: lol

Comment

• Maccaa
              • Jun 2013

This would be a great tweak.

Maccaa

Originally posted by simes_pep
              Good comment - I ended up applying individual artwork to the Artist in the various Compilation Albums, so that Asset displayed an Artist related artwork in Albums/Album Artist 'upstream' instead of the Artwork for the Compilation album.
              It took a while!
              I am using Asset on the Raspberry Pi.
              So maybe there could be a configuration option for the upstream artwork association, rather than 1st track 'seen', particularly when the directory structure is;
              Artist -> Album (which includes the Album artwork as folder.jpg & embedded in each FLAC track)

So could Asset look at the 'Artist' folder level for a image file to use as the upstream artwork?
              This way you could have a picture of the artist rather than the artwork for a particular Album or Single.
              Just an enhancement suggestion to a great product, rather than a criticism!

Simon

Comment

• timster67
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • May 2014

This is the kind of thing I'd love to see from Asset 4.next - If this is shown in Linn Kazoo/Kinsky..... it would be cool
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...

]]>