title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

NOTE: Any posts to this forum on or after 16th April will disappear in few days when we transition to a new forum

Thread: Pure Audio Blu-Ray

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question Pure Audio Blu-Ray

The soon to be released CSNY 1974 live set is being released in July on CD and vinyl, but also in the Pure Audio Blu-Ray format as specced at the following site:

http://pureaudiogroup.com/wp-content...-AES-21-ID.pdf

the CSNY 1974 music will be 192/24 bit. Can dbpoweramp rip this if my computer has a blu-ray drive?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Pure Audio Blu-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by jfkaess View Post
    The soon to be released CSNY 1974 live set is being released in July on CD and vinyl, but also in the Pure Audio Blu-Ray format as specced at the following site:

http://pureaudiogroup.com/wp-content...-AES-21-ID.pdf

the CSNY 1974 music will be 192/24 bit. Can dbpoweramp rip this if my computer has a blu-ray drive?
    No :cry:

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

But DVD Audio Extractor will be able to (although you may need AnyDVD to get around the protection).

Mike

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, Mike.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I use a combination of DVDfab (to extract the m2ts files), then eac3to (to extract the LPCM 2.0 as FLAC & chapter information), then Audacity to label & extract the individual tracks, before using mp3tag or dBPowerAmp to edit the metadata of the extracted individual FLAC tracks.
    Bit of a process but the LPCM tracks in 24/96 or 24/192 are worth the trouble.
    Listening the Blu-ray extraction of Tears for Fears 'The Hurting' in 24/96 transcoded by Asset (on Raspberry Pi) to WAV for a Naim ND5/XP5 player.
    Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

This is interesting. I wondered how long it would be before blu-ray is utilised for audio only.

But I have a question re. bit rates. The standard seems to be 24 bit after reading this, but after ripping CDs to wav using dBpoweramp it says it's (only?) 16-bit? (currently listening to Agricantus Tuareg - fantastic, highly recommended as is The Hurting and Songs from the Big Chair). What if anything am I doing wrong? Same applies to Audacity when "ripping" vinyl - I set it to the maximum (32bit float, wav) but it is also only reporting 16 bit in Kinsky/Asset.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi,
    CDs are 16bit, under the Red Book Standard of 1984-ish. So dBPowerAmp CDRipper will extract the LPCM source at 16/44.1
    I have not used Audacity to record, so I can't comment on whether this can be done in 24-bit.
    However it does allow you to edit 24-bit files obtained by ripping & extracting the LPCM as FLAC, from SACDs, DVDAs, Blu-rays & downloads.

Simon