title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: One song from CD will not rip even if my life depended on it

One song from CD will not rip even if my life depended on it

The problem is that the whole CD rips (secure, no errors on the first 23 tracks) but one track, the last one (24).

I have checked the CD and is free of scratches, so I'm guessing it could be a manufacturing defect on the CD?

I have tried two different computers, the second one being my emergency one which usually gives me secure rips on complicated CDs that wont pass on my main computer.

Here is what happens:

Both computers start ripping the song very fast until they hit 40%, then it gets VERY slow. After a few minutes, it will go to the second read and that's where the major problems start.

During the second pass, it just stops at around 27-40% and it gets ridiculously slow to the points in which it takes a lot more time to finish. Once it is done with the second pass, I get over 1500 re-frames. So then it starts fixing this and by the 1400th re-frame, I get the red borderline. Left the computer for ~30 mins and it was only able to go down to 1200 re-frames so I thought it was pointless to keep it running and decided to cancel it.

My next idea was to just rip that single song in burst mode (just so that I wouldn't have an incomplete disc in my computer). However, I'm doing that right now as I'm writing this, it has been 20 minutes and it is on 58% only.

What should I do at this point? Do I have any alternatives?

Administrator

Re: One song from CD will not rip even if my life depended on it

Replace the disc?

You may have the dreaded "disc rot". I note you said all the tracks are fine except the very last which is on the outer part of the disc keeping in mind CD's start from the inside and read outwards and the classic symptom of disc rot is the edge of the disc lets air in and the corrosion works it way in starting with the last track. When you listen to an audio CD in a normal CD player the decoder chips can correct a couple of errors and then usually invoke an interpolation mode where it it either guesses or holds the signal constant for the duration of the bad symbols. Some chipsets do a rapid soft mute during the unreadable data period but whichever method they use, minor errors are undetectable to the ear until they get REALLY bad and are appearing in the thousands. dBpoweramp's CD ripper is checking the C2 flag to determine if the symbols were able to be corrected using CIRC and if not it means while you may not hear it, the data stream is not an exact replica of the original so you'll get the multiple pass re-rips happening. If you have a CD player with a good chipset like those from Philips you won't hear the start of disc rot because the tracking system will sail over it without creating a fuss but the secure ripper will flag it real fast and domestic audio CD players are designed to keep the music playing and even skip bad sections if necessary whereas computer drives are tuned for data integrity. I agree with the Spoon man... Replace the disc mate.

Oh well, I guess I can always replace a $4 CD. Im just very disappointed it was brand-new and this happens. Really annoying if you ask me.

Btw, burst mode finished ripping track 24 fifteen minutes later. Gonna take a listen to it and see how bad it is.

UPDATE: I kinda laughed haha. Just listened to the track (4:52 min song), it has skipping sounds all over the beginning and at 2:00 the music just stops, silence until the end haha.
    Last edited by Khaos_Dj; 05-25-2014 at 01:35 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Khaos_Dj View Post
    Oh well, I guess I can always replace a $4 CD. Im just very disappointed it was brand-new and this happens. Really annoying if you ask me.
    If it's brand new, I'd think your retailer should replace it as defective.

I bought it brand-new from an amazon seller, sending it back through first class will cost $2.50. I dont really see the point.

Amazon, and most of their sellers, are often very good at customer service. If you cannot play the track, even as audio, and the disc is definitely defective, contact the seller. They may very well tell you "Keep it, we'll replace it." Give them a chance and if they don't seem reasonable, contact Amazon. They often will give you a 100% refund on defective goods and when the shipping cost exceeds the return value, sometimes they'll say the same thing: "Keep it."

Sometimes the service is incredible. Give them the chance.