title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2014

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2014

Does anyone know of a resource online that lists the history of Plextor drives and when they were produced? I read in an online forum that the SX-716A (PX-716A) were the last genuine Plextor, and after that model all subsequent models were apparently just rebadged other manufacturer product. While shopping at eBay etc., it would be nice to know which models in the CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List were genuine Plextor drives.

I've also read recommendations for Plextor Premium and Plextor Premium 2 drives, but I'm not sure if those were a class of drives that model numbers were a part of (PX-230A, PX-W1210A, PX-W2410A etc.), or whether the Premium and Premium 2 were unique models in addition to the numbered ones.

Great information, will you be posting it again this year, 2015? I will be interested to see if any newer drives performed well.

Thank you!

So,

Most of the drives on the "Top Drives" list are either: a) no longer available for sale; or b) laptop drives?

Given that the most accurate drive on the list has a failure rate of only 0.62%, I think that makes this smaller list the list to focus on (no drive with a failure rate higher than 3x the best posted):

Mfr. Type Model Users Success Fail % Fail % Success
    TSSTcorp CD-DVDW SH-S183A 475 32,831 467 1.42% 98.58%
    LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S 189 11,810 157 1.33% 98.67%
    LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5238S 78 10,929 100 0.91% 99.09%
    SONY DVD-RW DRU-830A 140 7,691 115 1.50% 98.50%
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N 480 7,582 99 1.31% 98.69%
    HL-DT-ST RW-DVD GCC-4244N 155 7,411 102 1.38% 98.62%
    TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C 121 6,804 83 1.22% 98.78%
    PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W2410A 114 6,718 85 1.27% 98.73%
    PLEXTOR DVD-ROM PX-130A 214 6,647 91 1.37% 98.63%
    PLEXTOR CD-R PX-230A 126 6,591 56 0.85% 99.15%
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-812 49 6,332 52 0.82% 99.18%
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-852 142 6,224 64 1.03% 98.97%
    ASUS DVD-RW 24B1STa 228 5,052 89 1.76% 98.24%
    TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B123L 283 4,926 64 1.30% 98.70%
    PLDS DVD-RW DS8A8SH 68 4,908 38 0.77% 99.23%
    MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J 92 4,675 29 0.62% 99.38%
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ862AS 176 3,654 52 1.42% 98.58%

(any chance you could change your format to something similar to this? columns, with only the necessary/relevant info listed)

Quote Originally Posted by msheridan View Post
    So,

Most of the drives on the "Top Drives" list are either: a) no longer available for sale; or b) laptop drives?

Given that the most accurate drive on the list has a failure rate of only 0.62%, I think that makes this smaller list the list to focus on (no drive with a failure rate higher than 3x the best posted):

Mfr. Type Model Users Success Fail % Fail % Success
    TSSTcorp CD-DVDW SH-S183A 475 32,831 467 1.42% 98.58%
    LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S 189 11,810 157 1.33% 98.67%
    LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5238S 78 10,929 100 0.91% 99.09%
    SONY DVD-RW DRU-830A 140 7,691 115 1.50% 98.50%
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N 480 7,582 99 1.31% 98.69%
    HL-DT-ST RW-DVD GCC-4244N 155 7,411 102 1.38% 98.62%
    TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C 121 6,804 83 1.22% 98.78%
    PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W2410A 114 6,718 85 1.27% 98.73%
    PLEXTOR DVD-ROM PX-130A 214 6,647 91 1.37% 98.63%
    PLEXTOR CD-R PX-230A 126 6,591 56 0.85% 99.15%
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-812 49 6,332 52 0.82% 99.18%
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-852 142 6,224 64 1.03% 98.97%
    ASUS DVD-RW 24B1STa 228 5,052 89 1.76% 98.24%
    TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B123L 283 4,926 64 1.30% 98.70%
    PLDS DVD-RW DS8A8SH 68 4,908 38 0.77% 99.23%
    MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J 92 4,675 29 0.62% 99.38%
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ862AS 176 3,654 52 1.42% 98.58%

(any chance you could change your format to something similar to this? columns, with only the necessary/relevant info listed)

I've started to try and find some of these on ebay, preferably from a UK seller to minimise postage costs. This will be for my Acer Aspire 5536 laptop. I am struggling to find many at the moment. The ones that I have found, such as this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-LITEON-...item51d71887e6

seem to have PATA interface. The HDD on my laptop uses a SATA interface. Also the current internal Optical disk drive is apparently a SATA interface. ( It is a HL-DT-ST DVDRAMGT20N, which was on Spoon's 2014 list and still flags errors and insecure rips).

Two questions:

1. Based on msheridan's reduced list of suggested drives, does this now mean that my current optical drive is no longer a reliable drive for secure rips and detecting errors?

2. I was recommended by Spoon to use the following USB adaptor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1114159556...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

for connecting any of the 5.25 inch drives in his 2014 list to my laptop. However, does it matter that the internal interfaces on my laptop are both SATA, the adaptor is also for SATA hard drives (amongst other things) , but most of the cd /dvd drives that I have found on ebay so far are PATA/IDE interfaces?

Thanks

I guess nobody has had a chance to consider my post above yet. I am quite confused about the whole external/internal drive issue. I really want to try a different drive but I don't want to get the wrong one that isn't compatible with my laptop and also would prefer to get one of the ones on Spoon's 2014 top drive list. I am building up quite a few cd's which are recording errors using my current HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GT20 drive, which was on Spoon's original 2014 list but which msheridan seems to be suggesting is no longer good enough. Also, a while ago garym sent me a link to a lite on drive which he connected to his machine via usb rather than fitting it internally, and as far as I can see this one was not even on Spoon's list. So how can that drive have been reliable at detecting errors? Or am I missing something?

Furthermore I have just found this drive on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3017387246...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

which seems to be one of the drives on Spoon's list but when I asked the seller if it was compatible with this usb connector that Spoon recommended

he said the following:

"U can connect it using the correct cable, however it will not work, the usb connector doesn;t give out enough amps. DON'T TRY THIS ONE it won't work"

Please can someone help? I am sorry to be a pain but I want to make sure that I get the right drive and to understand whether to I should get one on Spoon's list or a different one, like the one recommended by garym. And I am confused why the ebay seller seems to be suggesting that the usb connector device is no good.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy View Post
    I guess nobody has had a chance to consider my post above yet. I am quite confused about the whole external/internal drive issue. I really want to try a different drive but I don't want to get the wrong one that isn't compatible with my laptop and also would prefer to get one of the ones on Spoon's 2014 top drive list. I am building up quite a few cd's which are recording errors using my current HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GT20 drive, which was on Spoon's original 2014 list but which msheridan seems to be suggesting is no longer good enough. Also, a while ago garym sent me a link to a lite on drive which he connected to his machine via usb rather than fitting it internally, and as far as I can see this one was not even on Spoon's list. So how can that drive have been reliable at detecting errors? Or am I missing something?

Furthermore I have just found this drive on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3017387246...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

which seems to be one of the drives on Spoon's list but when I asked the seller if it was compatible with this usb connector that Spoon recommended

he said the following:

"U can connect it using the correct cable, however it will not work, the usb connector doesn;t give out enough amps. DON'T TRY THIS ONE it won't work"

Please can someone help? I am sorry to be a pain but I want to make sure that I get the right drive and to understand whether to I should get one on Spoon's list or a different one, like the one recommended by garym. And I am confused why the ebay seller seems to be suggesting that the usb connector device is no good.

Thanks

Hi and sorry if this is all a bit confusing! Basically all the advice given to you is correct!

The adaptor that Spoon has given you the link will work and provide enough Amps (current), as it is powered. I have started using one of these in the last few days (see my post, Ripped at last! In DRM Copy Protected if you want to know how I got on!) and this adaptor will power pata and sata DVD drives and also 2.5" and 3.5" HDD. Everyone should own one of these, as you can also recover data from hard drives from dead computers.

If you have any old drives lying around, or if not ask work colleagues - someone will have either free or very cheap, try one of these first, I was delighted with the results from a circa 2003 Asus ide (pata) drive.

The kit that Spoon showed you also comes with an adaptor for pata / data. The only issue that I have come across, is that on some drives and every drive is laid out slightly differently. The outcome of this is that the USB lead from the adaptor, may prevent you fitted the 4 pin molex power adaptor. On 2 of my drives these occurs - I am going to use a 4 pin molex power extender (or Y adaptor) to overcome this.

As an aside, one of my ripping drives a Matshita (I believe that Apple used this as an internal drive) that has topped the CD drive accuracy list for a number of years, is no better than the HP laptop drive, external slimline TSST (£15 and pretty good) on some discs. None if these would rip a Jewel disc that the old Asus did via this adaptor. Do not panic if a drive is not on this list, as it probably too new to have entries and even owning the "best" drive on the list will not ensure all your CDs are ripped without some errors or not being able to cope with some copy prevention. For this reason alone, it us worth using multiple drives.

Hope this has cleared up some confusion,

Oggy.

Thanks very much Oggy. That has really helped clarify pretty much everything for me. Just to confirm, when you say all the advice given is correct I assume you mean from this forum, and not the eBay seller? I didn't even understand his answer and I have read it a few times! Or do you think he was saying that I would need a different connector, like the Y plug you mentioned?

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks very much Oggy. That has really helped clarify pretty much everything for me. Just to confirm, when you say all the advice given is correct I assume you mean from this forum, and not the eBay seller? I didn't even understand his answer and I have read it a few times! Or do you think he was saying that I would need a different connector, like the Y plug you mentioned?
    As far as I know and I haven't tried a SATA drive (don't own anything that new!), the eBay link adaptor comes with all the adaptors to connect to the drive you suggested. The drives I tried all had the older ide connector and molex power connector. The idea connector covered the socket on the drive on some drives. I have overcome this courtesy of a free lead from aPC shop where the flying leads off the molex run up / down rather than straight out.

All the best,
    Oggy.

I have just come back to this thread after buying a SATA/IDE adaptor as Spoon and Oggy have suggested. I tried this out with an old Sony CRX215A1 CD drive that a work colleague gave me (don't know how good this is but it is quite old). I went through the dbpoweramp set up guide, as I had done for my internal laptop drive previously, did the C2 error pointers test (which to be honest detected an error very quickly and before a quarter of the way through the test) and configured it up for Accurate Rip successfully with one cd. I then tried ripping that cd, Let It Be by The Beatles, and it showed two tracks had errors, and the others gave a positive high Accurate Rip result (i.e. lots of matches). But what I don't understand is when I ripped the same cd on my laptop's HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GT20N drive, it ripped every track with no errors at all with a higher Accurate Rip number for each track. Indeed, I have successfully ripped (i.e. no errors and Accurate Rip verified) many of my cd's using this laptop drive.

What can I conclude from this as I don't understand? Is it because the C2 errors test was not really conclusive? Why would the Sony drive highlighted errors on certain tracks or are these not true errors?

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

what sort of outcome do you get if you "untick" the C2 error checking in the drive setup?

I have just come back to this thread after buying a SATA/IDE adaptor as Spoon and Oggy have suggested. [...] I then tried ripping that cd, [...] what I don't understand is when I ripped the same cd on my laptop's HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GT20N drive, it ripped every track with no errors at all with a higher Accurate Rip number for each track. Indeed, I have successfully ripped (i.e. no errors and Accurate Rip verified) many of my cd's using this laptop drive.

What can I conclude from this as I don't understand? Is it because the C2 errors test was not really conclusive? Why would the Sony drive highlighted errors on certain tracks or are these not true errors?

Thanks
    Well, what you can conclude is that drive impacts recognition of the "album". Different AccurateRip numbers (significantly different, and higher during a previous rip) - mean that the software believes the same CD to actually be different "versions" of the same album, and so is comparing to a different set of data.

AccurateRip is of use mostly when you have a disc in good shape but your drive can't detect errors (or is bad at correcting them accurately) or when the disc is damaged and you want to check if the read was as faithful as possible. But - it all depends on the signature of the disc that the drive is able to produce and whether or not there have been a significant number of contributions with the same signature. Its a disc read comparison - not a song comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    what sort of outcome do you get if you "untick" the C2 error checking in the drive setup?
    Thanks garym. I did this and the whole album was ripped with no errors reported/detected and high Accurate Rip matches. The CRC numbers include the same number as with my other HL drive that I originally ripped this cd with but the number of Accurate Rip matches are different and also there are other Accurate Rip results per track, such as this one for Track 1:

AccurateRip Verified Confidence 165 [CRCv2 c1c4bf7b]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 200 [CRCv1 5952360f]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 96 [CRCv2 b4a93b02], Using Pressing Offset -223

In the above result, the first CRC number c1c4bf7b matches with the CRC number that the original rip produced for Track 1, but whereas it shows 165 matches above, on the original rip showed only 135 matches. This seems to be the general pattern throughout the album.

So does this mean I am good to go and there are no errors?

And looking at msheridan's reply to my original question also, what can I conclude about the C2 error pointers on the Sony drive? Does it basically mean that it is "bad at correcting them accurately" as he mentioned? By way of information, in the set up options, under "CD Rom"/"Technical" it includes the following line:

C2 Error Pointers: Yes

So I thought that this meant I should check the C2 error checking box. I must admit that I do find this a bit confusing and difficult to get my head around and so any clarification gratefully received.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks garym. I did this and the whole album was ripped with no errors reported/detected and high Accurate Rip matches. The CRC numbers include the same number as with my other HL drive that I originally ripped this cd with but the number of Accurate Rip matches are different and also there are other Accurate Rip results per track, such as this one for Track 1:

In the above result, the first CRC number c1c4bf7b matches with the CRC number that the original rip produced for Track 1, but whereas it shows 165 matches above, on the original rip showed only 135 matches. This seems to be the general pattern throughout the album.

So does this mean I am good to go and there are no errors?

And looking at msheridan's reply to my original question also, what can I conclude about the C2 error pointers on the Sony drive? Does it basically mean that it is "bad at correcting them accurately" as he mentioned? By way of information, in the set up options, under "CD Rom"/"Technical" it includes the following line:

C2 Error Pointers: Yes

So I thought that this meant I should check the C2 error checking box. I must admit that I do find this a bit confusing and difficult to get my head around and so any clarification gratefully received.

First, and most importantly, many drives *report* that they handle C2 Error pointers even though they don't (or don't properly). I've had several drives that report "yes" on C2, but don't work properly with C2 errors checked. So this is not at all unusual.

Second, it seems unchecking C2 has solved your problem and you are now getting error free rips with AR matches. Again, I've had the exact same issue with several drives. So bottom line, you're all good now. That drive simply doesn't deal well with C2 errors.

p.s. To make up for this, in my ultrasecure settings, when there is no AR match, I have it do:
    minimum ultra 2
    maximum ultra 4
    stop after 2 clean passes

dBpoweramp Guru

And this is just providing more info. It is reporting the comparisons using CRCv2, CRCv1, and CRCv2 using a different pressing offset. All good, just more detailed info.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have just come back to this thread after buying a SATA/IDE adaptor as Spoon and Oggy have suggested. I tried this out with an old Sony CRX215A1 CD drive that a work colleague gave me (don't know how good this is but it is quite old). I went through the dbpoweramp set up guide, as I had done for my internal laptop drive previously, did the C2 error pointers test (which to be honest detected an error very quickly and before a quarter of the way through the test) and configured it up for Accurate Rip successfully with one cd. I then tried ripping that cd, Let It Be by The Beatles, and it showed two tracks had errors, and the others gave a positive high Accurate Rip result (i.e. lots of matches). But what I don't understand is when I ripped the same cd on my laptop's HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GT20N drive, it ripped every track with no errors at all with a higher Accurate Rip number for each track. Indeed, I have successfully ripped (i.e. no errors and Accurate Rip verified) many of my cd's using this laptop drive.

Thanks
    Hi Drummer boy, how quick was the Sony compared to the internal drive?

Oggy.