title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2014

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2014

Eliminating eBay as a source and using a place such as Amazon (or NewEgg etc. ) what are some recommended best drives currently manufactured and readily available? I just treated myself to a fully maxed out SSD 15" MacBook Pro and now need to buy a drive. How are the Apple external drives? I realize they cost $79 while all others are $20-30 however no big deal.

Is there one currently manufactured (and readily available) drive considered the absolute best?

Administrator

You would have to go through the list, many drives are only manufactured for 12 months.

Thanks Spoon

Strange- since cd drives are a dying industry I wonder why the lifecycle is only 12 months

I currently have a LG be14nu40 to replace an older GSA model I had. I am trying to rip my cd collection in flac and wave formats, but found this drive to be incredibly slow compared to the GSA. I noticed that this drive has a offset correction of +6, where as my older drive's was +667. Does the offset matter for speed and accuracy per drive? Why so slow? And are there any external drives that are perfect for this?

Administrator

The offset does not matter regarding speed or accuracy.

I have the internal version of this same drive (BH14NS40) and it rips cd's rather quickly. Could be a problem with the USB interface.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi. I have an iMac with a BUFFALO MediaStation BDXL Portable Blu-Ray Writer - BRXL-PC6U2B, running Windows in a virtual machine through Parallels. I also have dbPoweramp. Will that drive rip CDs bit-perfectly with dbPoweramp? You mention that dbPoweramp with rip O.K. with nondamaged CDs, but I would like to be sure that all my CDs rip correctly or that I at least receive error messages if they don't.

If not, can you please recommend an external USB drive (Blu-ray, DVD, CD, etc.) that will?

Thanks.

Administrator

Yes it will rip bit perfect, any rip where accuraterip verifies it is 100% correct.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mrvco View Post
    Is there a list of the top "currently manufactured" drives available? I have some problem CD's that I'm trying to rip and I'm wondering if there is a better drive than my Lite-on iHAS24 for troubled discs.
    Iam using Liteon iHAS24 TOO..but cannot tell from above info (unless ive missed it) if its classed poor or bad.To be honest its ripped everything perfect so far.I had my pc custom built so have the drives x2.It it plays up though will seek out other! the review on amazons good.But whats good for them may not be right for Ripping in DBPA!

My drive is Samsung SH-222BB with newest firmware SB01.
    Now I am trying to rip some music cd´s and some of them are ok but many are Inaccurate. One example is Megadeth: "Countdown to Extenction" Remixed & Remastered.
    Does this mean that my drive is crap and I should get a better one?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by asimplyreminder View Post
    Does this mean that my drive is crap and I should get a better one?
    Maybe, maybe not. Maybe disk has a problem. I occasionally have brand new disks that won't rip all tracks as accurate. The best approach I find is to have a few DIFFERENT drives. Sometimes something that won't rip correctly on one drive rips perfectly well on the other drive (even if the other drive is a $2 cheapy drive I picked up at a garage sale).

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Maybe disk has a problem. I occasionally have brand new disks that won't rip all tracks as accurate. The best approach I find is to have a few DIFFERENT drives. Sometimes something that won't rip correctly on one drive rips perfectly well on the other drive (even if the other drive is a $2 cheapy drive I picked up at a garage sale).
    Thank you for the answer. I will try to get some other cheap station beside this one (only reading station).
    Maybe the list of stations on the first page is a good place to start choosing good station?

This thread is titled "CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List for 2014," but I just realized the original post is from May 2014, only 5 months into 2014, which I would think doesn't necessarily identify the most accurate drives through the end of 2014. It's also almost a year old now. Since, as has been noted, some of these aren't even available, it would be nice to get an update. Can someone please provide more current information about the most accurate drives.

I'm working with someone a lot more knowledgeable about computers than I am to build a rig specifically to rip and stream my cd's. When I asked about the top listed drives, I was told they were either laptop or IDE (or both), that IDE drives are an old format that don't work in current rigs, and that I would want a full size SATA drive.

A list such as this of drives that historically were highly accurate but which have little or no utility in current computer configurations is about as useful as looking in an auto museum to help buy a car. Hopefully an updated list would give me -and others I have no doubt are also looking to this list - some truly workable options.

Administrator

There are plenty on the list that are SATA and available in new condition, perhaps they would have to be bought of ebay though, as CD drives have only a 1 or 2 year life span.