title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: dBpoweramp Music Converter OS X Discussions

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter OS X Discussions

Just downloaded B12. Note on the install package, it will not run from a mounted NAS drive. I don't think I've had this issue with other Mac software packages.

Hello,

I use Path Finder which is much better than finder. Please, do you now if there is a way to have the same "Services" right click behaviour (showing "Convert with dBpoweramp" and "Edit tags with dBpoweramp") with this file browser? Or can you send us an automator that we can use with any file browsing application?

Thank you!!!

Administrator

These items will be specific to the application, only your 3rd party finder can add them.

I ran into an interesting issue yesterday. I ripped a CD and had error(s) in on file. I inserted the same CD again and selected just the file that had errors for a re-rip. If I chose to rename the file or cancel, the app would crash. Only selecting overwrite worked.

I use a Mac Pro (tower) with a tray-based internal optical drive. I have several issues with ripping my CD collection using dBpoweramp:

I'd like to see what disc is currently being ripped! This info disappears during the actual ripping process, and only re-appears afterwards &*8212; if auto-eject is not enabled.

I like seeing the rip status of all my tracks at the end of the rip. The easiest way to do this is to look at the icons on rip screen, since the "Conversion Status Information" log that pops up afterwards does not contain an end-of-rip summary, like the saved log file does (I wish it did!). But. I'd really prefer to see all this info right on the rip screen itself, rather than having a separate log (with an odd "Information" button) always appear afterwards, which I then have to manually dismiss. I'm happy to open the log files if I really need more detailed info.

Ideally, dBpa would eject the CD after the rip was completed, and optionally sound an alarm, but also leave the rip status of this last CD showing on the screen! Since it does neither, I have taken to manually ejecting the CDs.

Furthermore, on the Mac Pro, you must first open the tray in order to insert a CD. When you tell it to eject a CD, it opens the tray for about 7 minutes, after which it automatically closes again, whether or not you have removed the disc. If you have not removed the disc, the OS attempts to re-mount the CD.

The "Eject" button in dBpa, is not active if there is do disc in the drive. Therefore it cannot be used to open the drive to insert a disc in the first place. I wish it would be always active. Perhaps the name could change from "Open" to "Eject" depending on whether a disc was present, and a third "Close" state could be added to close the tray if it's open &*8212; just like the Apple menu item does.

Also, I often like to listen to music using iTunes while ripping CD's. Even though I have dBpa set as the default app to launch when a CD is inserted, and I have iTunes set to simply prompt me when a new CD is inserted ("ignore" is not an option), iTunes still wants to read each CD and show me the track listing. So there is considerable contention for each disc when it's first inserted, which slows everything down. I wish there was a way that dBpa could gain exclusive use of the drive and not allow iTunes to attempt to mount it as well.

So, a summary of my requests:

1) Continue to display the Artist, Album, etc. info while ripping is occurring!

2) Add end-of-rip summary info to the "Conversion Status Information" screen.

3) Make the "Conversion Status Information" screen itself optional.

4) Add an option to sound an alarm after ripping is complete.

5) Leave the rip status info of the last disc on screen after the disc is (auto-) ejected.

6) Change the "Eject" button into an Open/Eject/Close button when using a tray-based optical drive.

7) Gain exclusive use of the optical drive when a disc is inserted, to avoid contention with iTunes and the Finder.

A small related bug I run into is that sometimes after ripping a CD, I hit the "Eject" button in dBpa, but nothing happens. I then need to use the eject button in the Apple menu to actually get the disc out of the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by amary View Post
    5) Leave the rip status info of the last disc on screen after the disc is (auto-) ejected.
    I'd like to expand on this suggestions a bit:

Often when ripping a CD, there is a bad track or two that I want to re-rip AFTER checking/cleaning/buffing the CD. Conveniently, you have menu options to re-rip such tracks, however they do not work after the CD has been ejected (and re-inserted).

If you retained all the info from the most recent disc after it has been ejected, and furthermore retain it IF the same CD is subsequently re-inserted, then these menu items would be much, much more useful! I'd very much like to see this implemented!

Also, I'd like to see a ripping option to manually skip over a track that is requiring a lot of frame re-rips, and simply continue on with the following tracks. When faced with a lot of re-rips (which take a long time, and often fail to rip accurately), I'd usually prefer to inspect/clean/resurface the disc before re-attempting to re-rip those problem tracks. What I have to do now is cancel the whole rip, then manually select just the remaining tracks and rip those. Not only is this a bit of a pain, but it results in a somewhat messy log file as well. An easier and cleaner way to manually abort ripping of just a single track would be much appreciated! (I know there are ripping options to set limits on re-rips, but I'd like to be able to manually abort a single track as well.)

One final feature request: I have taken to manually setting file labels for each track, based on the rip status. For example, all accurate tracks get a green label, inaccurate ones get a red label, secure ones are blue, insecure ones are orange. This make it much easier for me to later go back and try to replace (or re-check against AcurateRip) those tracks which aren't marked as "Accurate". I'd love it if dBpa could automatically set Finder labels and/or tags, to make this easier. I do know that dBpa can set an AccurateRip Result ID Tag within the .m4a container, but this metadata is not currently recognized by the Finder for viewing/searching/sorting purposes.

Re-Rip bugs?

Looking at the web-based online help, it shows that there should be a red line, which indicates the error position within the track. Despite a lot of re-ripping, I've never seen this red line.

Also, I have my Secure Rip abort limit set to 1 unrecoverable frame. I would expect this to mean that ripping the track would abort immediately upon encountering the first unrecoverable error, yet when I watch the re-rip progress, I often get the red highlight (which indicates an unrecoverable frame), but then observe re-ripping continuing for a number of subsequent frames before the track is actually aborted. Why does re-ripping continue to occur well past the point that the first unrecoverable error is detected? Are you actually allowing 1 unrecoverable error, and not aborting till the second one?

Re: Re-Rip bugs?

Hi all

I have been waiting for the final mac version in order to keep ripping my new cd's.
    My concern is if I will not get all the configurations and sound quality that I use to have on the windows version that I have been using so far. I just want to keep a standard configuration etc.
    Do I have to concern with that or I can already use the beta version in order to get what I want?

Thanks!

Administrator

If AccurateRip verifies the rip, the audio is 100% correct.

Any progress/insight on the "Could not contact AccurateRip servers." bug?

Thanks,

Just giving the Mac version a trial for 2 days now. Worked OK on initial run, writing files as FLAC to the Multimedia folder on my QNAP NAS. Today, tried ripping 2 new purchases (Kenny Burrell, Ellington Is Forever, Vols 1 & 2)
    Initially got an error saying couldn't find my destination drive, even though I had already connected to it and had the Folder open on my desktop. Decided this must be due to the fact that my Mac seems to show the QNAP drive twice in Finder, so ejected the Multimedia drive and connected via the 'other' QNAP (this one in small letter with SMB, as opposed to the other one in capitals?). Reset the destination in the CD ripper window, to this destination, which appeared in the CD ripper window as Volumes/Multimedia.

First CD (vol 1) now ripped OK to /Volumes/Multimedia/Burrell,Kenny/Ellington Is Forever, Vol 1. Second volume (vol 2) apparently ripped OK (album name Ellington Is Forever, Vol 2), but on checking via Finder, no such folder was present on the NAS.

Looked at the CD ripper destination, and it now was as before, except that it now says /Multimedia-1. Tried resetting the destination again, but it still appears as Multimedia-1. Directory structure on the QNAP NAS, and needless to say there is no directory called Multimedia-1. Gave up in disgust, and ripped Vol 2 using dBpoweramp via Bootcamp.

What is going wrong?

Took me a little while to figure out how to access right-click tag editing (never used the 'Services bit at the bottom of the right click finder menu before!). My ignorance, not your fault!

No option on the beta version to upload my rip data to the Accurate Rip database - I assume that won't appear until the full version is issued?

For your info : iMac 27" (purchased 6 months ago), 16GB RAM, Yosemite 10.10.2. QNAP 219PII. I also have a Buffalo NAS, with a Multimedia directory on it, which is not used for music, and this drive was not mounted while I was trying out the Mac dBpoweramp.

I'm been trying the beta out for a while and am really enjoying it. Looking forward to being able to purchase the full release. Thanks for all the hard work.

I did notice one thing that I haven't seen mentioned. If I go into Meta Data & ID Tag and click on Options and then uncheck Replace 'The [artist]' with [artist], The' it doesn't take. So, if I rip a Beatles cd it is still listed as Beatles, The instead of The Beatles.

I downloaded a trial under Windows and it does work as expected if I uncheck the button.

Thanks again.

Super Moderator

Final (non beta version) is coming up shortly... I'll sum up what has been addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by satbox View Post
    Hello,

I use Path Finder which is much better than finder. Please, do you now if there is a way to have the same "Services" right click behaviour (showing "Convert with dBpoweramp" and "Edit tags with dBpoweramp") with this file browser? Or can you send us an automator that we can use with any file browsing application?

Thank you!!!
    Path Finder compatibility has been fixed and tested. Thanks for reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by jjo View Post
    I ran into an interesting issue yesterday. I ripped a CD and had error(s) in on file. I inserted the same CD again and selected just the file that had errors for a re-rip. If I chose to rename the file or cancel, the app would crash. Only selecting overwrite worked.
    Overwrite prompt dialog bugs fixed, thanks for reporting.

So, a summary of my requests:

1) Continue to display the Artist, Album, etc. info while ripping is occurring!

2) Add end-of-rip summary info to the "Conversion Status Information" screen.

3) Make the "Conversion Status Information" screen itself optional.

4) Add an option to sound an alarm after ripping is complete.

6) Change the "Eject" button into an Open/Eject/Close button when using a tray-based optical drive.

7) Gain exclusive use of the optical drive when a disc is inserted, to avoid contention with iTunes and the Finder.

A small related bug I run into is that sometimes after ripping a CD, I hit the "Eject" button in dBpa, but nothing happens. I then need to use the eject button in the Apple menu to actually get the disc out of the drive.
    Thanks for the detailed feedback.

The top bar has been made visible while ripping.

Adding end-of-rip summary - feature request noted.

Making conversion status information optional - feature request noted.

Alarm sound - feature request noted.

Eject button behaviors - tough one, due to the way OSX enumerates optical drives, empty drives are 'invisible' to us. If I find a way around it, I'll be sure to allow opening the tray of an empty drive, but I cannot make any promises.

Exclusive drive access - not sure if possible, request noted for future updates.

Looking at the web-based online help, it shows that there should be a red line, which indicates the error position within the track. Despite a lot of re-ripping, I've never seen this red line.

Also, I have my Secure Rip abort limit set to 1 unrecoverable frame. I would expect this to mean that ripping the track would abort immediately upon encountering the first unrecoverable error, yet when I watch the re-rip progress, I often get the red highlight (which indicates an unrecoverable frame), but then observe re-ripping continuing for a number of subsequent frames before the track is actually aborted. Why does re-ripping continue to occur well past the point that the first unrecoverable error is detected? Are you actually allowing 1 unrecoverable error, and not aborting till the second one?
    The red line indeed doesn't work yet in the OSX port, thanks for reporting, it is being looked into.
    The unrecoverable frame limit setting is meant to abort after <number> of frames has been reached. That is, if you set it to 1, it should abort after the first frame has been marked unrecoverable. If it does not, it is a bug, we'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by wouldbeirish View Post
    I'm been trying the beta out for a while and am really enjoying it. Looking forward to being able to purchase the full release. Thanks for all the hard work.

I did notice one thing that I haven't seen mentioned. If I go into Meta Data & ID Tag and click on Options and then uncheck Replace 'The [artist]' with [artist], The' it doesn't take. So, if I rip a Beatles cd it is still listed as Beatles, The instead of The Beatles.

I downloaded a trial under Windows and it does work as expected if I uncheck the button.

Thanks again.
    Bug confirmed and fixed, thanks for reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by docmart View Post
    Just giving the Mac version a trial for 2 days now. Worked OK on initial run, writing files as FLAC to the Multimedia folder on my QNAP NAS. Today, tried ripping 2 new purchases (Kenny Burrell, Ellington Is Forever, Vols 1 & 2)
    Initially got an error saying couldn't find my destination drive, even though I had already connected to it and had the Folder open on my desktop. Decided this must be due to the fact that my Mac seems to show the QNAP drive twice in Finder, so ejected the Multimedia drive and connected via the 'other' QNAP (this one in small letter with SMB, as opposed to the other one in capitals?). Reset the destination in the CD ripper window, to this destination, which appeared in the CD ripper window as Volumes/Multimedia.

First CD (vol 1) now ripped OK to /Volumes/Multimedia/Burrell,Kenny/Ellington Is Forever, Vol 1. Second volume (vol 2) apparently ripped OK (album name Ellington Is Forever, Vol 2), but on checking via Finder, no such folder was present on the NAS.

Looked at the CD ripper destination, and it now was as before, except that it now says /Multimedia-1. Tried resetting the destination again, but it still appears as Multimedia-1. Directory structure on the QNAP NAS, and needless to say there is no directory called Multimedia-1. Gave up in disgust, and ripped Vol 2 using dBpoweramp via Bootcamp.

What is going wrong?

Took me a little while to figure out how to access right-click tag editing (never used the 'Services bit at the bottom of the right click finder menu before!). My ignorance, not your fault!

No option on the beta version to upload my rip data to the Accurate Rip database - I assume that won't appear until the full version is issued?

For your info : iMac 27" (purchased 6 months ago), 16GB RAM, Yosemite 10.10.2. QNAP 219PII. I also have a Buffalo NAS, with a Multimedia directory on it, which is not used for music, and this drive was not mounted while I was trying out the Mac dBpoweramp.
    Thanks for the report. Techically speaking, we currently remember the folders by POSIX path handed to us by OSX - which doesn't seem to work well when dealing with net shares. We'll be looking into it, but for now you are probably better off ripping to a local folder first.

PeterP,

Any news on the AccurateRip bug? Is there some logs or details I can get you to help track it down or fix?

Thanks
    Last edited by keisi; 02-28-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Just upgraded to Beta 12 (last version used was Beta 7, which was working for me pretty well).

CD Ripper on Beta 12 not working well at all, has what seems to be multiple window update and display problems. When CD is inserted, track names do not appear. Metadata information is retrieved, but I cannot edit text in any of the text boxes. Ripping actually works but with essentially no visible information on progress.

Mac OS X 10.10.2 MacBook Pro 13" Retina.