title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dBpoweramp Music Converter OS X Discussions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

dBpoweramp Music Converter OS X Discussions

All discussions relating to dBpoweramp on the Apple Mac.

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter OS X Discussions

I'm getting mp3 Encoder trial has expired. Plus, can it be added in the folder list all drives? It shows only /User/USERNAME directories atm.

Super Moderator

Noted, thanks for your feedback.
    Other drives will be made accessible in dBpoweramp's file browser in the next update. For now you can access files in arbitrary locations via File => Open menu.
    MP3 encoder expiration looks like another unintended behavior, we are looking into it.

A few things I stumbled across (random order):

Dropdown elements don't look and behave like native cocoa widgets

I'd add some indentation to the text in the status bar

The icons look ugly (not sure if they look better under windows)

No AAC in the codec selection seems strange under OS X

If you pause a conversion the "Pause" button should change to "Resume" imho

In the "Filter Audio Types" window I'd replace the "Back" button with a "Hide" or "Close" button

In the "Filter Audio Types" window clicking the "Back" button results in a lag

Perhaps using the typical "macish" blue background color for the left pane might look better than white everywhere (not sure)

Clicking the "Close" button after conversion results in a lag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for now. I'm using OS X 10.9

Another thing:

*) Select some tracks in the right pane
    *) Click the "Reset" button and confirm with "OK"
    *) The check marks aren't removed (or only one is)

This seems to only be a visual bug since if you switch to another folder and then switch back the check marks are gone.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasL View Post
    Dropdown elements don't look and behave like native cocoa widgets
    Noted.

I'd add some indentation to the text in the status bar
    Done.

The icons look ugly (not sure if they look better under windows)
    They're mostly carried over from the Windows version and look out of place - they will be hopefully redone before the final version.

No AAC in the codec selection seems strange under OS X
    Indeed, an oversight on our side; an AAC codec will be added shortly.

If you pause a conversion the "Pause" button should change to "Resume" imho
    Done.

In the "Filter Audio Types" window I'd replace the "Back" button with a "Hide" or "Close" button
    Done.

In the "Filter Audio Types" window clicking the "Back" button results in a lag
    Clicking the "Close" button after conversion results in a lag
    Lag bug fixed for the next update.

Perhaps using the typical "macish" blue background color for the left pane might look better than white everywhere (not sure)
    Unsure about this one, we still need checkboxes in that pane; if we can make these not look out of place with blue background, I'll add blue background as well.

*) Select some tracks in the right pane
    *) Click the "Reset" button and confirm with "OK"
    *) The check marks aren't removed (or only one is)
    Fixed as well.

Thanks again for the detailed report.

The destination folder displayed is different to the actual folder used. It seems to remember the previous location and save the files there rather than the displayed folder. I'm assuming that saving the test file with the ripped files will be in a latter release?

Re: dBpoweramp for Apple OS X?

Hi Spoon,

Have installed on my iMac (Mavericks 10.9.5 24GB RAM). Am experience Mac user (and Unix & Database Development/Design) for over 20 years. Have been using dbPowerAmp running through Parallels/Bootcamp on Mac for 12 months now. Don't like XLD.

I have only tried the CD Ripper so far and that seems to be working and ripping extremely quickly - making good use of multi core CPU resource.

Couple of questions/comments:
    1. Copy & Paste quick keys on Mac (Cmd C, Cmd V etc) appear not to be working eg. for pasting values into tag /options fields.
    2. Hitting the review meta-data button you don't see internet lookups of AMG, Freedb etc as side by side comparison like Windows version enabling you to choose which value you want per track etc. This I find invaluable for getting Metadata right. Is this not working or do I have to enable it somewhere (couldn't find anything in preferences or Meta / Options DropDown)
    3. Log window at end is not displaying all data - truncating at 80 char line length I'm guessing - yet if you paste into text file you will see full data. Eg. the filenames are truncated on display if exceeding line width
    4. Just ripped a CD in Windows, then ripped in Mac. It found the same cover art however it selected a smaller resolution on Mac than on Windows as default (i have preference set to 1000 x 1000 on both). On Windows it chose a 1000dpi file, on Mac it chose at 750dpi file. Again am I missing something here?
    5. Overall - the look and feel looks a bit dated and "old OSX" rather than current. As others have commented - Icon are ugly. No sleek gun-metal appearance like current OSX. Not sure what Yosemite is going to do appearance wise but assume you are looking at this already?

This feedback is only from spending one hour so far on the product. Happy to assist whenever I can.

Cheers
    Tim (kasters)

Hi Spoon,

Firstly, fantastic to try the Mac beta CD Ripper. Saves awkward decisions about replacing Windows XP on my Mac, hooray! Very similar situation to Tim, i think.

1. Overall impression is it is much faster - it is much faster!.

2. It took me a while to sort out the path to my NAS and filenames, but got there in the end through trial and error. Agree with Tim re copy/paste quick keys not working - this made setting up multi encoder a bit of a chore, but now it's done.

3. Would be helpful if it ran without having to insert an audio CD, then i could setup encoders etc. without having to feed it a CD.

4. I agree that it does look and feel a little dated, but hey... however, you know what Mac users are like.

5. When setting up naming it would be helpful if the elements were inserted at the position of the cursor, rather than added on the end of the list, but once naming is setup I don't have to do it again so this is now less relevant.

6. If i resize the metadata review screen it would be helpful if it stayed that size rather than jump back to the size of the ripping screen, but the answer is to resize the ripping screen, not a big problem but it's little details like this that your Mac users will pick up on.

7. The fact that i don't have to run Parallels and XP is a joy!

Great stuff! Looking forward to further developments.

Tommay

I just installed dbPoweramp for OSX on my first generation Mac Pro running OSX 10.7.5 and dbPoweramp crashes when I open the app.

Same issue as Bubamike....OSX 10.7.5 2X2.66 6 core intel Zeon 8gb ram and dbPoweramp crashes when i open amp. Thanks!

Loaded on my Imac running 10.9.4

Administrator

OS X 10.7 is not supported, only Mountain lion and newer.

In Music Converter, when selecting files to convert, the usual Mac keyboard shortcut for selecting all files (Cmd-A) does not seem to work. Using Version 1.0 beta 7 (1).

So glad to hear that you will provide dBpoweramp for Mac!

I moved to Mac 4 years ago, and dBpoweramp was the only program I missed on Mac. So I also have already installed the beta.

Could it be, that there is a problem with CD Text? No chance to read the CD Text of CDs, I've tried it with several CDs.

Cheers
    Tom